Can linuxfags explain this?

Why does Windows 7/8/8.1/10 runs absolutely smooth on my shittier 15" dell laptop but any high end linux de like gnome, unity, cinnamon and kde struggles with any kind of animation?
It is a 3 year old laptop and I have tried almost all operating systems on it. Windows just works on it even though it came preinstalled with Ubuntu and it still has that sticker on it.

Such an arbitrary remark

Why are you using cygwin on 10 when it has WSL?

Linux DEs are awful, they suck up resources like a motherfucker. KDE and GNOME use almost as much RAM as Windows 10 does in its entirety, it's really pathetic.

The default settings for Linux aren't optimized for desktop use. You have to change shit like swappiness for it to work properly.

old habits die hard
I'm speaking the truth.

>You have to change shit like swappiness for it to work properly.
Wut. Can you tell me more please?
Idunno i tried latest KDE on my dad's computer with almost 5 years old Intel Pentium G+iGPU and everything was pretty smooth.

Simple.
Linux is shit.

Maybe some programs don't work properly?

Try solus budgie. Smooth af even on garbage hardware

Runs beautifully on my old system

The 9800GTX+ is substantially faster than the HD 4600 integrated graphics OP has.

Smooth on my dell studio 1555 as well. HD4570 + fullhd panel.

kekekekekek you i3 using anime mastrubating virgins don't even know how to change swappiness wew

I dont use i3. Im new to Linux.

>shitty drivers
>lack of optimization
>lack of financial motivation to improve either

being an admitted newb is fine. its sudo bash -c "echo 'vm.swappiness = 15' >> /etc/sysctl.conf btw

x768

Yeah, I installed it on my i7-3710qm, 120GB SSD and it ran like ass / battery life was 1/4 of that on windows... Tried Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora and Puppy Linux. It was very choppy, screen tearing and slow.

lmao you winfag manchildren video game players should just stick to windows.

Yes OP, linux DEs suck. Post your wallpaper now.

I don't play video games, kid.

Linux kernel is faster than WIndows but Linux DE's are a complete shit show. It's just a fact you have to live with if you choose to use Linux.

There isn't a single good Linux compositor. Just use a window manager and it's fine.
>muh cube

>Just use a window manager and it's fine.
Using no compositor causes screen tearing.

>high end linux de like gnome, unity, cinnamon and kde

High end really has no meaning in your use. Those de's seem to be popular but they are probably being run on pc's with fast cpus and multithreading. Try something like lubuntu or xubuntu. Then if you're feeling brave try openbox with ubuntu. It sounds like you're either not into linux or you're just wanting to bait. If you really were into linux, a google search would have lead you to things are more suitable for a laptop.

speak for yourself

>openbox with ubuntu
Meant to say openbox with lubuntu.
I care this much.

Good shitpost. If screen tearing happens on only 25% of gfx cards with no compositor then it is a huge problem. It's more like 75% though.

And you can't use any nice effects like transparency or window shadows that are easy on the eyes with no compositor.

Use the vsync in your GPU drivers.

install XFCE and install xfwm4 4.13 if there's any tearing

That's what I use. I still get tearing.

lies

>hey guys whats up just wanted to let you know about this bug in your os.
>LIES LIES LIES UR LYING OUR OS IS PERFECT THERES NO BUGS
this is why linux will always be shit

Try xfce or enlightenment. both really fast

>hey guys
>your os
b8 harder kid

then don't use it? oh wait, you need this to shitpost

what is the point of this post? it's literally meaningless.

I use Linux full time. Seems like you're just mentally ill if you do as well and you can't recognize all the problems with it.

kys

This is not fglt and your question is retarded because don't have any details just shilling towards wangblows

>screen doesn't tear
>mentally ill
ok lad

>look at mei can greentext and completely misrepresent what the other person said
god damn with you freetards it's like talking to a wall

you seem like a troubled young man

because it's shit software that can't even be examined - why go there

windows OS is the lowest grade product i n the world

Keep posting maybe linux will break 5% market share. Oh wait that's mostly Chrome OS. So more like 1%.

Linux is an insignificant flea. It's a buggy piece of shit which nobody uses as a desktop OS. It can't and will never be able to compete with multi-billion dollar companies.

>BUT WE HAVE OPEN SORES SO THOUSANDS OF NEETS FROM AROUND THE GLOBE WORKING FOR FREE CAN IMPROVE IT UNTIL IT BEATS WINDOZE
And it runs like it was programmed by a bunch of smelly unemployed people too. The only chance Linux has to become widely adopted is Chrome OS.

there is such thing as caching and shit

most loonix fags don't realize that all the ram windows is using is actually used on something

still bloated af but those lightweight meme distros are memes for a reason, it is actually better to make use of the resources that are there

where it matters, dickhead
the pc is dead

android has eaten up the smartphone market because it is a viable product

the windows OS / platform is not a viable product .. it could only survive, it has only survi ved relatively briefly, within the PC licensing monopoly (lost years, regression). The public are stupid. the first faucet that worked, they went with. Where m$ have to compete, they can't compete. All they had was that monopoly, rigorously enforced

'loonix'
runs on everything .. anything viable. It is the market now

t. dirty phoneposter

>the windows OS / platform is not a viable product
what the fuck are you smoking

>the pc is dead
>only in my desperate attempt to be right about anything in this argument, other than that pc is fine

>no, no, it's gnu/linux you fucking retard, "linux" is just a kernel, le interjection
>until i need to win the marketshare argument, and then suddenly android counts, because muh linux kernel

Why is this allowed? Do these fags really think they're fooling anyone?

because a hobby project by a random group of autismos who work for free can't compare to a tightly integrated team of professionals on a salary with actual management and goals

the linux kernel, the only part of linux that isn't shit, is also developed by pros with commercial backing from major companies. really makes you think eh?

>the windows OS / platform is not a viable product
It is because when Microsoft gets bug reports of screen tearing or others they don't reply, "werks on my machine :^)"

Yes truly from a purely technical standpoint of view Linux is light years superior to windows 10.

Right now windows 10 only wins because OTHER professional teams developer software on their OS and haven't ported it yet on Linux.

Ubuntu, Mint, etc. have shitty batterylife. Tried it myself.

Try using Arch if you're skilled enough.

no, they instead drop support of the platform

Heard of W10 Mobile? They promised for all 8.1 phones but dropped half because they weren't arsed to fix performance bugs, then they did it again a year later on another specific group of phones just because a stupid microsoft edge bug that even the most updated phones still carry to this day.

If you have an intel GPU consider enabling tear-free mode. It's turned off by default for some reason.

lol read the wiki

>It is because when Microsoft gets bug reports of screen tearing
Isn't it not even possible to screen tear on windowed programs anymore? The DWM can't be disabled anymore in Windows 10.

Why does everybody here use i3 instead of awesomewm?

Compton

>phones
no one cares

linuxfags go home until you have a single working DE

Wondows 10 is just better and the linux fas wont admit it

Almost every DE works on my HP Stream 11 which costs possibly less then your computer because when I bought it, it costed $199.

>gnome, unity, cinnamon and kde
you literally chose the worst bloatware DEs in existence. none of these are high end. they're all a sluggish mess.
XFCE and MATE, compared with Compton, are the best DEs

Thanks!

GNOME is written by monkeys
KDE is smooth for me though

I've seen Steam tear before when scrolling through the client, no idea how that bug happened though.

Ingame or just on the desktop? If it was fullscreen then that bypasses the DWM.

No, the desktop program itself.

dudes, I said high end DEs which comes closers to Windows or OSX. I know those about those light weight DEs works and they are fast. But my argument was that even Windows seems bloated, it is smoother. KDE kind of comes closer to Windows on performance.

>Windows 7/8/8.1/10 runs absolutely smooth on my shittier 15" dell laptop
Same here. Got an old piece of shit Acer laptop running W10 LTSB. Tried various distos on it and don't get anywhere near the same performance, or battery life. I love Linux when it works but it's mostly just a meme.

How can they both use almost as much RAM as Windows, when Gnome uses twice as much RAM as Plasma?

>compete with multi-billion dollar companies.
its already better as a server and its just shit they give away for free. what's microshaft's excuse for .net servers being a laughing stock? lmao they have a team of pajeet slaves and they cant even make a working server. pathetic. but then again, if you don't even know how to use a toilet, how would you know how to use a server?

Dell uses shit third party parts. Im honestly surprised you went through the effort to get the wifi working. Get a good laptop and it will work out of the box.

Because you need vsync on
and probably gpu drivers if you have a dedicated one

Unity runs incredibly smoothly on my Sandy Bridge iGPU from 2011. Not sure what you're doing wrong

Intel 1007U here, KDE Neon is smooth af. OP is a lying street shitter.

welcome to the linux experience
You need to at least read dozens of wiki articles and spend hours configuring, even then it might not work because some asshole will suggest something that only applies to his environment. Then you gotta spend the next week hacking and troubleshooting for the best solution.

Everyone uses shit third party parts. There's no getting around that

This has never been the case for me, unless I'm trying to get some obscure piece of hardware to work, and that's only happened once with a Broadcom CrystalHD decoder card in a netbook. Every other laptop, desktop, etc., that I installed a Linux distro on worked with zero tweaking

use a wm

apply directly to forehead
also
>making picture of phone w/ phone
>its not stolen you guys

Bloat, and X11 along with other graphics stack just weren't designed for such animations. It was made for something like twm.

You just got lucky then, there are so many parts from different manufacturers and chipsets that get put into a computer which might not work with a linux distribution and you then have to start tweaking which is the case for op. It does not mean if linux is better or worse it only means if you're neckbeard enough to take on task of hacking the system.