/TPG/ Screw HP and Dell Edition

/TPG/ Screw HP and Dell Edition

Previous thread:

IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net, IP addresses collected for your safety

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. GETACs, Toughbooks).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice?

thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THINKWIKI FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN Panasonic Toughbooks, pre-Lelnovo Thinkpad A, T, X, and number series, and GETACs if you want the Fine Laptop Experience.

>Be careful of CIA niggers recommending you flash unusal firmware.

>Recommended models:
T60, T61, X60, X61, 860, Transnote, PC110

>Models to stay away from:
Anything with 'island' or 'chicklet' keyboards.

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:

thinkwiki.org/wiki/Buyers_Guide

NORMIES GET OUT REEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!jpY10JoZ!rCnxS0yg3YB3l5Hcs4SbQC-XVqhPf4v98Y3SMlMOpXM
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Integrated_Fingerprint_Reader
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

first for quasi thinkpad

Tomorrow at 6PM EST fampais
jewgle patch dynamics

Reposting since I posted it right at the end of the last thread.

First time posting on Sup Forums in about a year and a half, but I just wanted to leave this somewhere.
I made a USB-bootable image to flash the X201 BIOS (in this case, the included BIOS ROM has the wireless card whitelisting removed). I don't have Windows on my X201, and I don't have the dock with the optical drive (yet), so this was the only way I managed to flash my BIOS. It worked for me, so I wanted to share.

I basically extracted the FAT partition from the lenovo-supplied bootable ISO image, did some tweaking, and shoved it all into a FreeDOS 1.2 installation I made under QEMU. I had to prevent it from loading any extensions, which I kind of hacked together in FDCONFIG.SYS (FreeDOS's CONFIG.SYS), and then tweaked autoexec.bat a little.
I first tried to get the El Torito image to boot from a flash drive without luck. DOS isn't my specialty (unix is), and I haven't used it in about 15 years.
Anyway, I was able to boot it and flash my BIOS successfully.
To put it on a flash drive, unpack it and then run:
cat image.img > /dev/sd(Whatever-Your-Device-Node-Is)
sync
Then you can remove it or reboot or whatever.

TL;DR flash your X201 BIOS with only a USB drive.
Download (6.4MiB):
mega.nz/#!jpY10JoZ!rCnxS0yg3YB3l5Hcs4SbQC-XVqhPf4v98Y3SMlMOpXM

It should also work for other ThinkPads, though you'll want to replace the BIOS.WPH file.
You can mount the image with something like:
modprobe loop
mount -o loop,offset=32256 image.img
(the FAT16 partition starts at the 32256th byte, or the start of sector 63)

Also I have come to the realization of just how small this stickie is, at 3" length. Especially after putting one on my desktop. They're perfect for a laptop or smaller devices but if you plan on getting this for a desktop PC you should know that when I restock these I will be making them bigger, probably 4" long, maybe 4.5".

Pic related, credit card for size ref

Why would they do this?

The size of that bezel, LOL. Compare it to the what, 15 year old X40?

The absolute state of Lelnovo.

because the jews can get it cheaper if they make it shittier.
Still smaller bezels than a thinkpad 760.

>Benis
>shadow clearly says "Business"

nice try tho

>intentionally leave it in for watchful anons
>get treated like a babby

T420s or x200? I've got two bretty good local deals and cant decide.

Posted in previous thread; bought my very first Thinkpad and I'm very pleased it isn't a piece of shit.

Came with a W10 product key that I'm not interested in, anybody actually want it?

X200 if you want the small size and 16:10 screen with no touchpad
T420s if you want something bigger with an upgradeable CPU and better graphics chipset. Most (all?) of the X series have CPUs soldered down.

>Gets a thinkpad
>Installs a linux distro
My man.
Though I question why you'd buy a new "Thinkpad" when the last ones anyone could even possibly argue are "real" were made around 2010/2011.

I could definitely use it, I would really appreciate it.

[email protected]

>Not able to read the "T420"
My bad, I'm retarded.
Since you had a win10 key I assumed new thinkpad. Sorry.

t420s has a soldered cpu you baka

also no 9 cell option

despite the fat bezels it's not bad as a successor to the x131e

Also I have to bump it up to 4 buckaroos after customs cucks hit me with 40 dollars in customs fees.
Fuck this and fuck UPS

The refurbisher bought/licensed Windows from Microsoft as part of the refurbish, I guess. Came with a fancy fresh scratch-off sticker and everything.

What are you using it for? I'm just gonna post it on the thread, just want to make sure some chink isn't trying to resell it.

is there a grey version available instead of blue?

Nuh

I want an x40 so bad they're cute as fuck

I built a computer for my mom a while ago and installed Ubuntu on it since I thought it'd be user friendly enough for her.

It ended up being too difficult for her to use so I would use the key to install legit Windows on it, I don't really trust the cracked versions you can find on torrent sites.

Damn that sucks.
Personally I'd take the x200 then.
I have an x201 myself.

Link?

Yeah I'm probably gonna go with that I hate trackpads tbqh. Also does anyone have any idea if you can get the fingerprint scanner working on it if you use Linux mint?

Unity is the only DE that I can't wrap my head around. My heart goes out to your poor mother.
Enjoy the code.

Getting 3 hours with the stock T430s battery. Does the ultrabay battery get another 3 hours at least of juice?

>not a W520 quad core

You can.
But why would you want to?
It's kinda dumb.
"supported by libfprint v0.5.0 onwards, released December 2012"
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Integrated_Fingerprint_Reader
Agreed about Unity. It's like if someone said, "Let's take OS X, and make it even less functional."

read his post

Also, if someone needs an X200 fingerprint reader, I have a NOS one that came with my palmrest that I don't need.

probably one hour, maybe ninety minutes max

Lol pajeet is too good at manipulating generous westerners

I mean it's there I might as well use it

Thank you so much

Sorry I have down syndrome,
Nowhere do I see a link to buy le' patch.

Thanks senpai-sama

So I messed with the mouse buttons on the X200t and bent one of them up a little bit so it didn't get stuck as easily, and it's usable now. I might want to replace the keyboard later, but it's okay for now.

Now how do I install Magick rotation on lubuntu? I can't seem to find much documentation whatsoever and the python script doesn't just werk

So 4 bucks per stickie and shipping to SE US is?
Also are they foil or paper?? I'm hype user I want 2 of them.

They're holo
aka not paper
Shipping there is 1 buck but I recommend the bubblemailer for the stickies as it's way safer for them, it's 2 buckaroos.

Thanks user. These things are so nice.

Man, 2009 ThinkPad machines are so sexy, but the processor age really worries me.

How that Core 2 Duo treating you, brother? YouTube? Emulators? Bloated IDEs?

Kinda bummed they all max out at 8GB RAM.

my thinkpad wont be here for another 2 days, and I have no laptop until then.
How do I cope, /o/?

Stop thinking about it. Mine arrived a day early, and my state is scheduled for a power-rinse later this week.

why are the recommended models so fucking old?

that would be too easy, user.
it's already expected a few days earlier than projected which is cool
I'm curious what a power-rinse is? I searched it and of course the results are about washing machines as I should have expected

>I'm curious what a power-rinse is?
A tropical tradition™

2 finger scroll or nib and middle click

oh yeah im fucking retarded

checked

Deuce

I really can't get a good handle on the trackpoint. Requires too much force to move, leading me to overshoot my target.

Anyway, can you upgrade the CPU on any of the IBM thinkpads to bring it closer to modern CPUs?

Photogenic weekend, X40 style.

Hey this is great advice, thanks.

Dell and HP shills BTFO of this thread. New OP > old OP.

What's the price to expect for a like new t420?

If I were to look on eBay for a ThinkPad, what model should I get?
Doesn't have to be new just needs to work

T61, there's loads of them for dirt cheap and if you're just doing normie stuff it's more than adequate.

I don't mind being a normie. It's much better for your health.

>bought T430 off eBay on Saturday
>seller still hasn't shipped it

REEEEEEEEEE

>tfw the user who runs their finger around the soft rim trackpoint isn't here

Install different Linuxes in a VM and try them out to see which one you want to put on your Thinkpad?

>be me
>fall for x220 meme
>1368x768
>mfw

Not the same user but what do I do with Linux? I've used Ubuntu on my shitop and used terminal but that's it, I never got anything done using Linux.

Also why are ThinkPads the go to

So who here will buy this meme machine?

Not me.

What do you do with Windows? Same stuff, you can even run most Windows software directly, with the exception of SJW-era gaymes.

People like Thinkpads because used ones are cheap and plentiful, they can be fixed easily, spare parts are easy to come by, and they have features like hot-swap bays, multiple batteries, docking stations with PCIe ports, etc.

We will wait for his return.

fuck that dude
I'm saving up for the chink magic t70

I'm waiting for specs/full pictures but I'm cautiously optimistic

>bought a bunch of less than five dollar ps2 games off ebay a couple weeks back
>they all arrive before the earliest expected date

>buy thinkpad for $230 sunday
>still marked as 'pre-shipping' by USPS
Suffer with me user.

Looking to get a laptop for someone. Which ones have a touchscreen and backlit keyboard? Currently looking at x230t and HP Revolve 810, any others to look at?

>hp
lel

Are ThinkPads popular among Europeans? I'm American and currently use a ThinkPad, but I'm moving to Europe (more specifically Belgium) soon for work. I want to fit in and seem less stereotypically american-y among the euros. Would a ThinkPad hinder this? Does it seem too corporatist for Europeans?

Yes. There are stores over there that specialize in used Thinkpads.

Does anybody actually use their fingerprint reader?

I have it set up but it's faster to just type my password.

version with Sup Forums as a lowercase?

Germans and the French love the ThinkPad aesthetics.

The English, not so much.

lol nope
we're you the same guy asking in the other thread?

No, guess a lowercase g would clash with the 'S' now that I think about it.

I do.
Though it takes like a sec to start up with libfprint.
On windows it's instant.

Saw you got your x200t in the other thread! Good stuff. I hate to say it but I couldn't get it working with Lubuntu easily either. I ended up choosing Ubuntu MATE 17.10 and that had the rotation button working even from the Live USB. But of course there is a reason to choose Lubuntu and I completely understand that. I'm using it on my X220T right now! I did figure out one way to do it that might work for you but it is a bit slower than the button. Maybe you're smarter than me and can figure out how to pin it to a button though. brb, gonna hop on my X200T and post the script I use

Where do I get a decent battery from?

I look up 9cell battery for the x220 on ebay and everything is from China.

How do I know I'm not getting chinked?

Buy genuine battery from Lenovo.com, user :-)

por favor, conteste

I've bought several chink batteries and they've all been fine.

Most people don't know how to maintain a battery so any of them will go to shit. My chink batteries have Sanyo and Sony cells.

Can 9cell chink batteries be used on an x230 or does the battery from prevent that?

I will consider it if the thing has a quad core processor, ulv dual cores can go into the trash.

How do you maintain a battery?

Why don't Thinkpads have number pads

You have the wrong thinkpad then.

Keep it between 20-80% charge

15-inch ThinkPads have numpads

First thing to remember about Li-Ion batteries is that they can only endure a certain number of "full" cycles before degrading below their specified capacity enormously, but what is a "cycle?" A cycle is defined as the *equivalent* of a full charge and discharge. If you charge your battery all the way and then drain it all the way, this is one cycle. If you charge it all the way, drain it to 90%, charge, and drain back to 90% you'd need to do this ten times for a "cycle." However, if you drain a battery all the way every time you might only get 500 cycles before it's degraded substantially. However, if you drain it to 50% and recharge each time, you can easily get 1500 cycles out of the exact same battery, and if you only drain it to 90% you can get over 5000 cycles.

OK, on to refreshing. First, take your battery and charge it all the way. Then drain it all the way until your computer turns off, and charge it all the way again. Take it out of the machine and leave it for a couple days or maybe a week, then charge it again without draining it first. It will have partially self-discharged a bit. Then drain to no lower than 40%, and recharge it. Do this a couple times, resting the battery for a couple days each time. It will massively boost your capacity.

If the above didn't refresh your battery quite a bit, you can do the more extreme procedure of putting it into a plastic bag, evacuating the air, and freezing it for a few days. Then take it out of the freezer, whack it really hard a number of times with the palm of your hand, and let thaw to room temperature before taking it out of the bag. Try the above procedure again. Make sure to monitor your computer for a couple hours after you insert the previously whacked and frozen battery in case of fire, if you get too overzealous you could damage the pack.

Any recommendations on USB numpads?

Bought a x220 mint condition, 8gb ram,128gb ssd and i5 2520m for $250aud

Did I do good?

Oh shit didn't know about the E series. What's a good E series model?

Thanks for the info

Do these methods only work on a new battery?

If I got a used battery I can't do anything to improve the capacity can I?

>That screen ratio
Yuck