I found an RX Vega 56 and a GTX 1070 MSI armor for the same price...

I found an RX Vega 56 and a GTX 1070 MSI armor for the same price, i need a new GPU i dont want to wait for theoretical price drops that will happen after another generation of GPUs is already out, which one should i go for

Get a GTX 1080 for $500.

Get the vega. At the moment, it is as good as a 1070 in most games, but with much more room to get even better through enhanced drivers.

the vega 56 is only 5-7% faster on average compared to the 1070, while running 30°C hotter and consuming twice as much power.

Nobody should buy a 1080, if he can get a 1080 Ti just for a few bucks more. The performance increase from 1080 to 1080 Ti is in no relation to the little increase in price

Get a 750 ti still one of the best

>On comparing RX Vega 56 and 1070 at the same pricepoint, with the Vega actually available.
Vega 56 obviously.
However, is right - get the 1080.
It's the better card now.

Vega might be better in a few years, that Vega 56 might even beat a 1080 in a few years, but it doesn't now and you'll probably be buying a new card in a few years anyway...

vega is faster while consuming more power. Buy the vega. No one cares about watts.

>assuming he is in the same country.
>assuming he has the money to spare.
he asked vega 56 or 1070. vega is the superior choice, considering he doesnt mind a bit more consumption.

just realized it's stock vs board partner. always get the board partner card and never the shitty stock blower cooler. 1070 is the clear choice in this case

Vega 56 for sure. Buy a Morpheus II while it's still on sale on Newegg and flash the 64 BIOS on 56 and overclock to 64 levels while undervolting. Will beat the SHIT out of the 1070 and even 1080 (pending driver improvements) for cheaper.

Get a 1080. Otherwise get a 1070 in that case, for better temps and power consumption.

>Vega might be better in a few years
>in a few years
HAHAHAHAHA

waitfags are so funny

Retards that can't read the whitepapers are even funnier though.

just get a loan and buy 1080ti, you can thank me later.

Waitingfags waiting for a GPU properly doing what the whitepaper describes because of muh incompetent and/or low-on-manpower driver devs are much more funnier.
And the fact that 1.as no one precisely knows how and to what degree that tech helps that GPU perform better, and 2. no one exactly knows when the Magicu Drivers are complete, add that funniness to a whole new level.

It was a bait post. The whole $500 1080 thing has been a complete joke due to boosted 1070 prices necessarily jacking up the 1080 prices. There used to be some blower 1080s for sale at 499 but you can't even find those anymore.

I take that back. Newegg literally has one blower 1080 for 499 for the next 12 hours.

Vega 56 can be bios flashed to unlock additional processing units

Vega 56 of course.

>a few bucks more

What fucking fantasy world are you living in? The cheapest 1080 on PCPP is currently $500. The cheapest 1080 Ti is $740. That's nearly a 50% price increase for 20-25% more performance. Great value!

>inb4 "I bought a 1080 Ti on eBay for $150"

This is incorrect. Was a bug in GPU-Z that reported an increase where none existed. New version fixes that.

>"""""bug"""""

So they took a bribe from AMD to cover it up and try to stop people getting free performance.

Wait for navi or volta

If it still works people will be happy to post benches with Vega 64 tier results. Until then it's much easier to believe that GPU-Z was reading the wrong thing (as it often does).

Get the VEGA
Performs better, has better drivers, and power consumption isn't that big if an issue
And undervolt it, reduces power consumption/heat by a lot and even seems like it increase performance because of how those boost clocks work or so I have heard
And also has far better DX12/Vulkan support

An undervolted and overclocked Vega 56 absolutely dumpsters a 1070.

>No one knows what will happen if primitive shaders literally at least double Vega's geometry performance.

Realistically, half a year, though. I'd say 10-15% faster before 12 months pass.

>Nvidia
>GPU runs pretty good at stock, overclocking is a nice bonus too
>AMD
>GPU runs like shit at stock settings, tweaking the voltage, core and memory is mandatory to achieve decent performance. Also no overclocking headroom unless you flash the BIOS and increase the power consumption to air conditioner levels

>All these excuses
An undervolted and overclocked Vega 56 ties a 1080FE in performance. I don't give a fuck WHAT you do to a 1070, it's slower.

No one has any idea when AMD will get their shit drivers together, or even if they ever do. Poeple are tired of AMD fanboys saying "wait for optimizations" that either never come or don't have as big of an impact on performance as AMD claimed. It didn't happen with Bulldozer, it didn't happened with Fiji, it only happened a little with Ryzen (and most improvements had nothing to do with AMD and more to do with people buying expensive RAM) so why should people wait for Vega?

Lmao

It's not "optimizations".
Please read the whitepaper before shitposting.

AMD has lied too many times in the past ofr me to trust them, deal with it. I won't believe Vega's "magical whitepaper optimizations" until I see benchmarks.

stock settings 56 wins against the 1070. if you tweak it it reaches 1080 levels.

It's not "optimizations".
And these are not "magical" just generalisation of non-compute shaders.

>1080 levels
1080FE at stock, which is significantly worse than any AIB.

>He says, while conveniently ignoring that no 1070 can hit 1080 FE levels.

>has better drivers
lol wut. AMD drivers are fucking all over the place right now. it'll get better but shit it sucks RN

No 1070 consumes 250+ watts.
And anyway all this shitposting is absolutely pointless as long as Vega is not working properly.

He probably meant the software suite.
Which is true, Radeon whatever is better than Control Panel + Goyshit Expirience.

But why do people always confuse the software suite with drivers? Nvidia's actual drivers and control panel are better that AMD's still, Nvidia has much lower CPU overhead so if you pair it with a budget CPU it will run better. Also Nvidia has much better support for weird resolutions, aspect ratios and framerates, a guy bought my old GTX 980 because he said AMD's drivers were shit and couldn't run CS:GO in 4:3 stretched properly like all the pros do.

Wait™ for Far Cry 5

Vega 56, undervolt it, then overclock it.

Vega 56 is better than a 1070 but worse than a 1080

Driver optimizations will probably help

If undervolted Vega 56 lays waste to a 1070 while not working properly, surely that's even more incentive to go with Vega for when it does work properly.

Where the fuck did you find a Vega 56?

not him but newegg canada has vega 64s in stock

>guy bought my old GTX 980 because he said AMD's drivers were shit and couldn't run CS:GO in 4:3 stretched properly like all the pros do.
that guy is a literal retard

Yeah but the 64 is shit, I'd only consider the 56

>AMD cards consistently improving performance with driver updates even on cards 3+ years old
>Nvidia top tier cards from last gen dropping performance either due to incompetence or forced obsolescence

Tough choice.

>Nvidia has much lower CPU overhead
lol

Nvidia does all the scheduling via drivers; their CPU overhead is a lot bigger than AMD's. But their cards are faster in most games because they're utilized better thanks to that software scheduling.

AMD have a hardware scheduler. Unless a game uses an engine that threads its renderer natively, AMD GPUs can only run at something like 70%.

Not in stock, although there is another blower available now at 499.

2 years ago that was true
AMD drivers have improved a lot and nvidia completely shit the bed
Even worse if you're running linux

I can run any resolution just fine on my 290

The drivers for Vega are still nowhere close to being ready, though.