Why the fuck is this shit even allowed to be used in an academic environment...

Why the fuck is this shit even allowed to be used in an academic environment? I'm in a CS program where over half of my peers (including myself) use GNU/Linux as their main OS, and now we are being forced to either dual-boot or borrow a Windows laptop from the university tech services to take tests. At least if this shit could run in a VM it would be fine, but no, proprietary shitware doesn't like to be useful.

Other urls found in this thread:

vtluug.org/wiki/Respondus_LockDown_Browser
ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1702183
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Did a master's degree in CS from a top 5 school. No one used Linux. Now, I am in the process of obtaining a PhD from another top 5 school. None of the students in the classes I teach use it. Just get over yourself and be normal for once.

QEMU NIGGER

Link a tutorial.

>TOP 5 SCHOOL LMAO
Maybe in India.

Why can't you just dualboot? Stop acting like windows is sooo horrible that you can't bother using it. Suck it up

UC Berkeley and Stanford, but A for effort.

Have to spoonfeed fucking everything.
vtluug.org/wiki/Respondus_LockDown_Browser

Wow, it's fucking nothing.

How's life in Mumbai pajeet?

>UC Berkeley and Stanford
Anti-Fa/g/ spotted

quemu-nigger.com/tutorials

Used this from 2008-2012. It was shit.

There used to be tricks including modified executables. It was also unaware of what Virtualbox was for the longest time and would run within it.

It would kill processes solely based off of name. Pidgin.exe would be terminated but pidgin1.exe would not

It used to be possible to defeat its always on top hook so you could alt + Tab to other programs.

It would allow screensavers to work so about half of one of my classes set the windows XP "My pictures" screensaver to a directory with photos of their notes and then scribbled the pre-made notes onto regular paper. someone got caught, logs were review, and 40% of my class instantaneously failed

When the software crashed it did all sorts of odd hooks into WinXP that could leave it broken. several of my classmates had to reinstall windows after it crashed.

lockdown browser is shit in motivation for the convenient secure testing environment anywhere you have wifi on any PC but of course that has limitations for the adequately motivated and the way it hooks into windows is downright dangerous

see
Don't be so quick to judge

Considering that Windows itself is proprietary malware, it is also dangerous.

That, or it had something to do with the fact that I paid next to nothing because of grants and scholarships.

College IT guy here
We install it for any teachers who request it for students to take online tests.
It has no other useful utility than that.

You are being forced to use this during your lessons?

>Just get over yourself and be normal for once.

Correct, for taking quizzes and exams. The professor refuses to provide a printed copy.

So whats the big dilly? It allows you to take an online exam while ensuring you aren't googling for your answers..

Maybe you should read the thread, bucko.

It's called Gnome-Boxes you dolt.

Its the students fault for insisting on brining in their own laptops and then expecting the college provide support for every OS under the sun.

The BYOD craze in school is cancer. You should all be logging into PCs in a computer lab. You little dipshits. I hate having to make the Wifi work on your shitty ChromeOS laptop, or your malware infected windows7 machine.

-Friendly College IT guy.

Is this confirmed to work? LockShit won't open on VMWare or VirtualBox

>computer science
lol

>The professor refuses to provide a printed copy

HOLY FUCK
What a fucking horrible time to be alive.

I bet he's one of those lazy assholes and does this because he doesn't want to manually grade students.

Just take the exam in the library or a computer lab you dumb nigger.

>Friendly
no

f p b p
speaking of, the one kid in my program who used linux wouldn't stfu about it, and here I thought the people with macbooks would be obnoxious with their starbucks drinks the entire day

>lying on the internet

(((You)))

spotted the fags who bring their shitbuntu to class
the real world isn't Sup Forums pham, you're going to get fucking roasted like the retard you are for running a server OS on your laptop~~

>lying on the internet
>not realizing that wine/qemu is a thing
People don't care about which OS others use IRL sundar, real life isn't Sup Forums :^)

What you're referring to as a server OS is actually a server operating system with a desktop environment or as I have taken to calling it, you're a fucking virgin.

this desu

The main real world use of Linux is for running servers, or less commonly, for security work. Most CS majors will never be a sysadmin or security analyst, they'll be code monkeys.
Sup Forums is more of a sysadmin than a code monkey board.

Who cares what fucking OS other people use holy shit. Op just dual boot

I am at a prestigious university in New York. Very few people use Linux (although the school is still fine with it).

Have you tried this: ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1702183
?
You could also try to use QEMU (AQEMU is a GUI front end, if you don't want to RTFM.)

OP. Just get a second fucking computer like I did. Hell just type in the questions verbatum for the win.

thats power