Spotify Web Player Now Using DRM

Thanks to the (((W3C))), DRM for browsers is now standard. What this means is that all popular contemporary browsers such as FF, Chrome, Edge, etc. contain support for DRM websites. Earlier this week, Spotify changed their web player to enable the browser's DRM features.

What does this mean for you, especially if you don't use Spotify? Well, if you're using a normalfag browser and it's up to date, you already have the DRM features. Expect to see more sites using DRM protection in the very near future. If you're using any non-normalfag browser and it doesn't have the DRM feature, they will need to get a license from Adobe and implement this into the browser. So basically, HTML5 DRM-enabled content is now in the hands of Adobe. Every time you want to view the DRM content, you'll have to connect to Adobe to download a session plugin to be able to decrypt the content, which is an invasion of privacy.

gnu.org/philosophy/can-you-trust.html

C A N C E R
C
A
N
C
E
R

I don't care, I pirate everything anyway. I haven't paid for content or even not used an ad blocker for years.

It'll extend to other sites as well. Even if you have all the music/video you need, websites will soon start using it merely for text. Again, if you have a normalfag browser you are already being infringed upon.

So people just won't visit said pages, kinda like when a page implements anti-ad blocking, they'll just die out.

companies, on the whole, are stupid creatures.

it's like they want an internet revolution or something.

Vivaldi doesn't have this problem?

When is Trump going to solve this problem?

this

then we'll start pirating blogs

They did for a long time if i'm not mistaken.

Just record the screen

Why is this a good thing, exactly?

A major streaming company wants to drm their streaming audio???? whoa!!!!!!!

Who cares? I get my music, TV, and movies LEGALLY through streaming services that I PAY FOR.

Stop being a leech.

>redditors that don't understand the implications, or simply don't care

Then explain it, degenerate.

Nigga, it's always used DRM, just in the form of Flash.

It's all in the link provided in the OP.

You realize you're taking pride in getting scammed, right? If something can be infinitely copied, it has no value, so charging any price for it is irrational.

I'm taking pride in supporting content creators with currency that I in turn get supported with by doing my job.

what about you stoping being dumb desu?

I like this goy!

>If something can be infinitely copied, it has no value
@ bitcoin

>stoping being dumb
Irony.
>desu
You're not even from this website; if you actually wanted to "desu", it wouldn't be in the perfect context of an uneducated slob typing that which is filtered.

>supporting content creators

Oh, yeah, totally. I'm sure that 10 dollars a month you pay for Netflix or any other content-aggregation service really rewards the tireless efforts of the content creators, and not get lost in an endless ocean of copyright holders.

>by doing my job
Holy shit, you have a job? You're a fucking hero to society. Pirates have jobs, too. We just don't waste our money on corporate fucking executives holding trivially easy to download content hostage at no benefit to the people who actually made it.

>Oh, yeah, totally. I'm sure that 10 dollars a month you pay for Netflix or any other content-aggregation service really rewards the tireless efforts of the content creators, and not get lost in an endless ocean of copyright holders.

It does, at an economy of scale. The idea (which has been successful) is to create a service that is ubiquitous whereas the individual contribution matters only in the sense that the collective contributes. See: Amazon Prime.

>Holy shit, you have a job? You're a fucking hero to society. Pirates have jobs, too. We just don't waste our money on corporate fucking executives holding trivially easy to download content hostage at no benefit to the people who actually made it.
This is a misrepresentation of reality, and I would contend that my word produces a much higher net benefit to society than those who are "professional" leeches.

>If something can be infinitely copied, it has no value, so charging any price for it is irrational.
WTF? So do you also think that content has no initial investment? Just because it is available online as a convenience does not mean it is free, there has to be a way to recoup production and distribution costs.

I hate this goy!

>Pirates have jobs, too. We just don't waste our money on corporate fucking executives
But you still waste your time finding the content and then consuming the content... in anger because you're sticking up to The Man? Wow, truly enlightened.
lmao get over yourself, you and that user are a match made in heaven.

Finding content on torrent sites is 100x faster, the fuck you mean? You litteraly only have to look on one website to get movies, tv shows, music, books, games, etc... You on the other hand, need to go on each and every website/platform for each type of content... dumb fuck

>streaming

All the initial investment in something like a movie or a studio album has already been paid in full to the people who made it. The copyright holders then get their money back from people purchasing copies, none of that actually goes to the creators themselves.

In such a system, there really is no incentive to pay for it. But what are they gonna do? Stop making movies and music because 1 percent of people were smart enough to tie a string around the quarter?

I think it's quite telling that in your final sentence, your hypothetical reveals that you know what you're doing is not sustainable if more people did that thing.

you can always record audio/video and there is literally nothing anyone can do to prevent it.
if you can hear it or see it, you can record it, encrypt it, distribute it.

Good thing it's hypothetical.

You realize that this applies to the rest of life too? 1 percent of people benefit from the irrationality of the other 99% in all aspects of life. For instance, if everyone were to stop working, then the businesses that filter money upwards to CEOs and shareholders would fail. But since people are driven by needs like hunger and boredom (there's a thing called suicide, you know) they will continue to drive the majority of the wealth they generate up the ladder in exchange for their daily bread.

Ideally, we'd all be dead so that this planet doesn't get used up and the net conscious suffering of the world plummets to 0.

We wouldnt have shitty movies anymore if people did that more...

they used flash as drm before that

Where do you think pirated content comes from?

>if we don't spend money at all on anyone other content creators will somehow suddenly make things that fit our preferences

lmfoa, you have literal spoiled rich kid tastes

This

>contrarian: the post

>bitcoin
>can be infinitely copied
>its value increases according to how hard it is to obtain
You know, this basically explains the entire motive behind companies adopting DRM

Why should i care about web players drm? My spotify converter app is still working fine.