/TPG/ Thinkpad 25 is a joke edition

/TPG/ Thinkpad 25 is a joke edition

Previous thread:

IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net, IP addresses collected for your safety

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. GETACs, Toughbooks).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice?

thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THINKWIKI FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN Panasonic Toughbooks, pre-Lelnovo Thinkpad A, T, X, and number series, and GETACs if you want the Fine Laptop Experience.

>Be careful of CIA niggers recommending you flash unusal firmware.

>Recommended models:
T60, T61, X60, X61, 860, Transnote, PC110

>Models to stay away from:
Anything with 'island' or 'chicklet' keyboards.

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:

thinkwiki.org/wiki/Buyers_Guide

NORMIES GET OUT REEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee

Other urls found in this thread:

time.is/EST
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>tfw you run your finger around the soft rim trackpoint

2nd

We missed you.

>Want x2xx
>Want size of x240
>don't want to pay x250 prices or bulk of x230
Convince me not to just say fuck it and deal with the x240's track pad

You fucked up the title nigger

Can't you just replace it?

>bulk of X230
It has the same footprint but it's slightly shaped like a wedge. The X240 is 19mm thick while the X230 is 19mm at its thinnest point and 26mm at its thickest. No bulk here.

Just get an X230 and put the extra bucks into a 9 cell battery you cuck.

I'd rather have the 19mm thick x240 in my backpack than something that goes from 19mm to 26mm. That's bulk.

Why aren't you anons using the finest Thinkpad ever made, the X40?

>small
>light
>roll cage in body
>very efficient CPU
>Linux friendly
>10+ hour battery life
>no Intel Management Engine botnet
>runs cool, w/tlp the fan almost never even turns on
>analog VGA port for pure analog video path
>travelmate battery available
>best keyboard
>no stupid trackpad
Objectively the finest smaller Thinkpad made which can still function on the modern web.

A little help please?

I don't want an x230, I'd like something a little thinner with all of the shit that I have to carry every day.

>1/5th on an inch is bulky
Millennials, everybody. Let's give them a hand.

It has a chinkshit chicklet keyboard, but so does the x230.

Might as well get a Mac.

thinkpads are always a step ahead

>it's so cool to not care about saving weight and space where available

I've gone through my share of mac products. Never again. I'm not even a fan of OS X anymore.

Battery advice bro here.

First thing to remember about Li-Ion batteries is that they can only endure a certain number of "full" cycles before degrading below their specified capacity enormously, but what is a "cycle?" A cycle is defined as the *equivalent* of a full charge and discharge. If you charge your battery all the way and then drain it all the way, this is one cycle. If you charge it all the way, drain it to 90%, charge, and drain back to 90% you'd need to do this ten times for a "cycle." However, if you drain a battery all the way every time you might only get 500 cycles before it's degraded substantially. However, if you drain it to 50% and recharge each time, you can easily get 1500 cycles out of the exact same battery, and if you only drain it to 90% you can get over 5000 cycles.

OK, on to refreshing. First, take your battery and charge it all the way. Then drain it all the way until your computer turns off, and charge it all the way again. Take it out of the machine and leave it for a couple days or maybe a week, then charge it again without draining it first. It will have partially self-discharged a bit. Then drain to no lower than 40%, and recharge it. Do this a couple times, resting the battery for a couple days each time. It will massively boost your capacity.

If the above didn't refresh your battery quite a bit, you can do the more extreme procedure of putting it into a plastic bag, evacuating the air, and freezing it for a few days. Then take it out of the freezer, whack it really hard a number of times with the palm of your hand, and let thaw to room temperature before taking it out of the bag. Try the above procedure again. Make sure to monitor your computer for a couple hours after you insert the previously whacked and frozen battery in case of fire, if you get too overzealous you could damage the pack.

>1/5th of an inch is substantial
You probably have that much cum stuck to your computer from your anime habit.

I don't watch anime 2D shit. I'm not a weeb. I'm just a guy who's interested in getting a thinkpad for school and being able to take some work home with me.

Hahaha WTF is this chinese garbage?

swap the touchpad faget

Should i get x40 or x60s? Will mostly use it for programming and taking notes. What are the pros of x40 compared to x60s, and how much worse is the performance?

No idea but i also needed to use a calibrated .icc profile for my IPS display, trying to use it on linux was painful and didn't work for me so i just went W7.

Its a really, really, really bad trackpad

less of a trackpad and more like a fingerpad really

>tfw gradually migrating all my work to my ThinkPads for when I'm working abroad
>tfw barely used my desktop in the past few weeks

I got all of these within a month... help me /tpg/ I think I have a problem.

lt's called being forward thinking

Go for the X60s, or a X61/s. This guy is in every /tpg/ shitposting his obsolete machine.

The X60/1 are more upgradeables than the X40 shit.

Just for my school and research work, I decided to ditch my plans for an older Thinkpad and muh freedumbs and got a brand-spanking new T460s (goddamn thing is untouched) for $525. Even has a Windows 7 downgrade. Did I do good?

I want to put Manjaro on it for now just to get started on some work I have due soon. How do I dual-boot on a pre-loaded machine? What does my partition table need to look like? Will I be nuking the Windows boot partition? Do I need to be worried about fucking with secure boot or anything?

tablets are pretty based

hell yeah they are. I'm still torn between the two though. I like the x220T keyboard better(feels more solid under the keys, plus the large ESC and Delete keys), but the x200T can swivel in both ways, has a locking latch, and has no trackpad at all.

>X40 shit
The X40 isn't shit but it's kinda obsolete for today's tasks. An X60 can at least run a modern OS, while the X40 requires a seriously lightweight distro.

6PM, boys
patch dynamics

limit 3 per customer, right?

yep

Nice try FBI

I'll pass on this one but is there any chance of a sliver or grey colored one instead of blue in the future?

Blue doesn't go very well with the matte black on the lid imo.

where to buy?

>putting stickers on your thinkpad

dude I wish l could afford either one of them :(
I ended up buying a TC4400 with a broken latch
still really Iike it desu

shut up slut

Halp!

So, a guy in my town is selling a Thinkpad L430 with the following error:

> 02071: Real Time Clock Error - Check date and time settings.

I was wondering if It's fixable. If not, what parts can I swap to my T420 (besides the RAM/HDD/Wi-fi Card)?

the clit mouse is a meme. otherwise i would consider it, but im not degenerate enough to give up the trackpad

Alright nerds what's the deal with all the hatred towards ulv processors? Are they really that bad?

I was looking into maybe getting a t440/s and modding the trackpad but I keep seeing people say the i5 4200U/4300U are ass, they don't look too bad in synthetics but is there something I'm missing?

Pic unrelated

CMOS battery is probably dead. It should still boot though

Possibly. If it's cheap and you can afford to lose the money go for it. If the guy seems tech savvy at all backout. Either cmos battery is dead or mobo has water damage.

dude it's holo anyway
it's gonna look Iike a rainbow

Sorry, the code error is 0271, and I forgot to mention that is a BIOS error

Iearn to read user

he told you

lid
Please don't put it on the back of your thinkpad's screen, when was the last time you saw a tech certified sticker there? put it on the palm area on your thinkpad on the bottom of it.

I don't see myself getting a grey one made, also It's in my post

but i want to cover the chinknovo logo

>decreasing your chances of getting a sticker by posting
shiggity

Because ULV are rubbish. You can get the same efficiency from a 4300M if you just set it's maximum processor state to be the same as the 4300U. Intel doesn't make these ULV processors for efficiency, they make them as they are planned obsolescence, hindering potential performance while the longevity is reduced by being soldered to the board and the solder will become brittle in years to come and eventually the laptop stops working entirely and needs to be reflowed/reballed.

>reballing a dead cpu
dumb

my thoughts are
>Over lenovo Iogo
for maximum autism
>on the palm rest
for the official look
>on the bottom
like a refurbisher oragain, for it to look official

What are we going to do when all the good Thinkpads are too old to be useful?

Do ex lease thinkpads have their BIOS locked?

>the clit mouse is a meme
No it's not, it lets you keep your fingers on the home row.

>stuck to lower performance forever with the purpose of getting better battery life
or
>throttling your processor to the same TDP of an ULV if you want better battery life and unthrottle it when docked or when you require more performance

Just swap it out senpai

>Alright nerds what's the deal with all the hatred towards ulv processors? Are they really that bad?
No, not at all. ULV was created so laptops can have a longer battery life. Some faggots think that it's cool to try to cram the biggest desktop processor you can into a laptop, and that's fine for 'laptop workstations' but for something small and light you want to save battery life.

ULV hate is a total meme.

You can do this in the BIOS right?

dude we've sperging pretty hard about this for the past few threads

what time zone? i'm gmt+2

>useful
The only thing taxing them now is SJW-era 3D gaymen and the fact that Google decided to run their VP8/9 decoder in Javascript in your browser.

The solution is to stop buying SJW-era games (anything post 2009 or so) and use youtube-dl.

My ancient X40 can play full HD video just fine with mplayer.

EST, it's in circa 1.5 hours

I know. 90% of people are too retarded to set a reminder though so unless they're here right now then chances are the opportunity will slip through their unworthy cheeto dusted fingers

EST

Is it just clocked lower? It's Intel so I presume they're locked and can't be over clocked, so what's the clock/boost on a 4300M?

I'm probably biased because of my interest in a lighter weight/long battery life Thinkpad but that's what I assumed ulv was for

>not disabling your trackpad from the bios
degenerate.

thanks

>clit mouse is a meme
that's what my roommate told me when i told him to get a thinkpad for school, and now he can't stop using it.

ULV is more part of Intel's "less is more" crap. It may be useful for longer battery life but it is still a rip off.

In your OS, pic related now my 4300m has the same 15W TDP as an ulv with the cpu at 100%.

You'll never get the kind of battery life you could with ULV even if you throttle your desktop processor.

WHAT?
IT'S GOING IN 30 MINUTES
DID DAYLIGHT SAVINGS BEGIN OR SOMETHING?

>I'm probably biased because of my interest in a lighter weight/long battery life Thinkpad but that's what I assumed ulv was for
That's exactly what it's for. I'm not against people ricing their thicc laptops but most people just want something small and light with a long battery life.

oh shit, hype

Not sure. Looking at time.is/EST tells me there's 1.5 hours left

patchdynamics is gonna crash, isn't it?

Got a functioning x41 from an old dude at work. It only works when plugged in and didn't want to buy a new battery because it's old and slow on win XP.
pls tell me if this is a meme or if I should actually replace the battery and use it.

X40 will be fine for those uses. X60 is quite a bit faster, maybe 3x as fast overall, but the keyboard isn't as good and it has a super bright irritating Thinklight instead of the mild amber one the X40 has.

I also have an X61s which is nice, but the X40 is far comfier.

Both can be tweaked for extra long battery life.

>the X40 requires a seriously lightweight distro
I use Debian 9 with XFCE and it's just fine on my X40. I did upgrade my RAM to the maximum and put an SSD in there though. Also I use tickless clock and the schedutil governor. I used to have undervolting enabled but when I upgraded from Debian 8 that broke, I need to redo it. Instead I just set tlp up to keep the processor at 900MHz or below as a temporary stopgap and it seems to work almost as well.

yep

>the solder will become brittle in years to come
Not a problem with a pre-ROHS Thinkpad.

Should've seen it when the original NROL dropped- or the autism hats.

>Debian 9 with XFCE
That is pretty lightweight though XFCE sometimes turns into a RAM eating monster. LXDE is better from my experience

I could deal with something with the computing horsepower of a RPi 3 in a Thinkpad. Less is more in a laptop IMHO.

>Got a functioning x41 from an old dude at work. It only works when plugged in and didn't want to buy a new battery because it's old and slow on win XP.
Install Linux, it'll be much more usable. I am typing this on my X40 running Debian 9 with the latest Firefox ESR and it performs just great. Even modern sites that are JS-intensive run fine, they do take a little while longer to load but once they're all loaded it's fine.

>pls tell me if this is a meme or if I should actually replace the battery and use it.
Replace battery and enjoy. Also look at my battery refreshing procedure.

Could I stick the letter U at the end of that and charge you more for it then? You are getting more after all, right?

I'm about ready to give up on the DE meme and switch to Windowmaker full time. I haven't noticed heavy RAM use, this machine's been up for weeks now and here's how my memory usage looks now.

I just don't use most of the DE features that people seem to need.

If you could make an ARM laptop with the X40 aesthetic, you could give it a 30-40 hour battery easy. Or you could make a AA holder and get maybe 6-8 hours on normal pen cells and never have to worry about replacing a battery which gets harder to find over time.

I have a powerful desktop computer already.

my life is so sad that I get excited over a stupid sticker

Assuming this is a limited quantity, it's not too weird being excited over semi-obscure soon-to-be /tpg/ history

where my /stickies/ at

REEEE WHERE IS IT

already bought mine :^)
picked the 4$ bubblemail