Tiling window managers

What are the pros and cons of using one?

Advantage
>can make 1 cool screenshot after arranging for 112012 hours
Disadvantage
>causes autism

Used to run awesome-wm. However, now I value convenience more so got rid of it.

They're a tool that requires you to learn them, but if you use them for awhile you'll get maximum utility out of your screen space and they should improve your workflow by keeping things organized and easy for you to categorize and find

Well, I get the idea but imo you can do the same thing with workspaces and features like Window Snap.

Is there a tiling window manager that is easy with mouse too? Would install one but gf has to use the computer too and she's got a temper and no will to learn a thousand keyboard shortcuts.

It doesn't cause autism, but rather is a symptom of pre-existing autism.

It's quicker to use the keyboard instead of using the mouse, and tiling window managers also have workspaces, and that's part of what I meant when I said categorization

Well if you're new to GNU/Linux it teaches you a lot about how configuring your system works via editing some config files. It also allows you to create something cool, that looks nice according to your tastes.

Been using Linux for 3 years. Thought tiling managers were cool for the first year, but haven't used them once during the following years. Probably won't ever again.

Tried them for a while (ratpoison and stumpywm), but it was just too slow. I can tile everything perfectly to my OCD's content and it neatly all laid out and no space is technically "wasted," but it's extremely bad for my workflow. Too many key presses switching focus and resizing things, when I can just drag my mouse around quicker and have everything that I want. No more workspaces where I forget about windows, I have like 30 different ones stacked on the same window and mouse over their corners to focus on them, get what I need and refocus on the other window. Tiling managers allow you to only have a max amount of workable windows (in other words, no 10px by 10px emacs windows). Yet floating allows you to have so many more stacked on top of each other and "easily" accessible (no more flipping through the buffer list or manually typing out the specific window when I can just mouse over it).

OP here. For me a nicely riced tiling wm looks cool as fuck but you can achieve the same thing with a standard desktop manager. For example, here's my desktop. I riced i3-gaps before but it had orientation issues and I couldn't get used to it.

the use of tech that you don't like/don't use does not indicate autism, user
That makes sense. My workflow has me using two or three work spaces at most. They're not for everyone, but I've enjoyed the organisation they bring to my workflow

checked

Yeah I kind of prefer what you have going on there. Mine is similar. The Mac-style app launcher is so useful when you have it on auto-hide.

Is i3 the perfect newbie introduction to tiling window managers?

She could choose a different DE with a desktop manager like lightdm

I really envy you man. I tried to install gentoo once but it was a complete failure. Nice wallpaper btw, which anime is it?

>I dedicate 75% or more of my screen to applications I am not directly looking at merely so that I can take a screenshot and share it with autistic people rather than accurately represent my workflow

I use a tiling WM but come the fuck on, why do you have so much useless shit on screen, I literally just do everything in its own workspace on fullscreen because it's faster.

That'd just be a bother, the computers on 24/7 and we hop on/off for like a minute or two every now and then to check something. Having to constantly relog would be annoying. I'm currently using a script for KDE and whie it's lacking in many aspects, it nails the ease of use and mouse support. Was just wondering if there's anything like that available.

That's not my own desktop :) see

I don't know. Just found it at /w/

Gentoo isn't even hard to install once you understand what the wiki instructions are telling you, but it took me a couple tries to get it right.

I used a netinst cd which doesn't support UEFI instead of a live CD.

I tried installing it once last night and got to locale generation and none of the commands were found. So I'm going to try again today after work. This time for sure

Use systemrescuecd instead, you can open a browser and read the wiki from it

what wm is that? xmonad?

It says under the Arch logo. It's i3

>advantage
multitasking is a breeze, especially when it comes to actually working and not just videos/Sup Forums/IRC autism.

Actually makes use of large displays without the downfalls of giant, childlike borders and excess white space that does nothing but pad windows to make it look "good" (which is nearly impossible for most WMs on Linux based systems)

extremely customizable and easy to actually do so. Unlike most WMs that hide toggles and options in deep menus and options, i can just open up a config file in any text editor and make the changes i want to with extreme ease. No guessing with unmarked sliders and checkboxes that only allow for "on/off" style customization, no redundant context menus that i have to spend extra time scrolling through to select a choice, none of that.

Ease of privacy. No on else in my household knows how to operate my system, which means that i can leave it open and unlocked and no one is going to touch it because they just don't know how. Compared to most other WMs that try to emulate the Windows/Mac userspace and provide "ease of access" to all users. I have an extra layer of security on my system that prevents anyone who doesn't know my shortcuts and keybindings to do much of anything. Not really pertinent when it comes to actual malicious security, but it's enough to keep nosy roommates from snooping in things they have no business looking into.

I guess it's i3-gaps.

>>>\b\

fpbp

They're only good for software development where you need to see 100% of a window's content 100% of the time and quickly switch between windows full of code/debuggers/etc. IDEs and text editors mimic tiling window managers (or rather, vice versa) for this reason. They're garbage for everything else except shitposting on Sup Forums while also shitposting in 20 different IRC channels.

Guess what Sup Forums users do?

Professionals just make their text editor their tiling WM and fullscreen it because everything they're good for can be ran in your text editor. That way they don't have to suffer through dynamic window bullshit for everything else.

Pros:
- looks cool on screenshots

Cons:
- Useless for any real tasks. no one's gonna have a small anime picture open next to screenfetch and a tiny text editor window open at all times

>People who show off tiling window managers on Sup Forums use anime and screenfetch in their screenshots
>This means they, or others, who use tiling window managers for work must use anime and screenfetch during work
Were you born stupid or did it come naturally through shitposting too much?

>pros
the window manager does the window management for you
it's keyboard focused
>cons
the window manager does the window management for you
it's keyboard focused

Nobody I know uses a tiling WM at work, it would hinder productivity and make switching between windows a pain. everybody just uses fullscreen windows spread between several workspaces/monitors, because there's no point in having multiple tiny text editor windows next to each other, when emacs/vim/atom can show multiple text buffers next to each other arranged in any way you like.

If you don't add your tiny anime manchild images, tiling wms are next to useless.

>Implying I post screenshots on Sup Forums with anime images
I use a tiling wm for my writing for Pathfinder scenarios in addition to my software development when I'm on my laptop, and it's nice to be able to use different work spaces for specific things. You don't have tiny text editors when they take up a full screen or half the screen. Again, you're assuming people who use tiling managers for work will have 6 different windows open on one work space, which defeats the purpose. If you have multiple screens you can still tile the windows across screens which stop keeps their layouts easy to see and access.

Here's an example of how I use it.

Left hand side is usually vim with a couple windows into buffers. Below it is a terminal. On the right hand side I have a few stacked windows, usually chrome/pdf viewer/another terminal. You're just cherry picking a stupid use case. twms are good when you need to view some combination of windows on the same screen, but not necessarily all of them at the same time. Personally, I'd find a twm without stacked/tabbed mode useless, since I agree that there's no need to have 6 different windows open at once.

I did actually get similar functionality in windows with ahk, though. I mapped some shortcuts to cycle through open windows of a given program. That way I can layout, say 3 chrome windows tiled on the right hand side, and flip through them with a shortcut, kinda simulating tabbed mode in a twm. But it's still a pain because you have to set up the layout manually, and modifying a layout isn't nearly as simple.