/sqt/

Stupid questions thread
Use a search engine before posting
Not kosher or halal

Other urls found in this thread:

pckr.co.uk/arch-grub-mkconfig-lvmetad-failures-inside-chroot-install/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Any one have a good torrent for xena? I now have the urge to watch it again.

Who is this semen demon?

GT 1030 or RX 550 for 4K HTPC
Will be watching mostly anime which will be upscaled with MadVR with very basic filters nothing too fancy

How in the fuck am I supposed to install OS X on Virtualbox in W10 with a Kaby Lake CPU? I've tried everything, to no avail.

Is the extra $100 worth the upgrade from 1070 to 1080?

no
if it was 1080ti yes
1080 NO

anyone know a good free driver updater that also installs?

>driver updater
Is this something people actually need and use? I just update my shit manually, and the only thing that needs updating once in a while is Nvidia's driver.

geforce experience or catalyst control panel you absolute retard

My internet randomly blinks off. Not long enough to change the lights on the modem; it's maybe 10 seconds of inactivity that boots me out of online games and holds up my browsing. What's happening and how do I fix?

pls respond

>HTPC
Does it really matter? Just go with whatever's cheaper.

Can you start rotating it a little bit? Kinda tired of the same girl.

Are you in an apartment complex?

same exact price
it matters because if any of those two are too weak it will drop frames like crazy while upscaling 1080p to 2160p

Isn't Ti $300 upgrade? BTW I don't have 1070 or 1080. I have 980

DriverBooster has been good in my experience, then I just stopped using it and just use the windows update drivers.
Anyways if you need a premium key for that program you can easily find it on YouTube. Same goes for Avast Premium :) .

same here

if you have a 980 there is no reason at all to buy a 1070 since that's pretty much your card already
1080 is also a shitty upgrade considering it has more or less the same performance of the 980ti
You waited this long without getting a 1000 series card might as well wait for the next series

Internet searches tell me the 1030 is the best card for 4K HTPCs.

>tfw my 780 Ti still going strong

I CANT INSTALL GRUB
HOLY FUCKING SHITTTTTT

I did those same internet searches, and I can find fuck all about people using 550 for a HTPC. And people having issues with 2160p HEVC which is hardly surprising.

Nope; my own house, router-modem combo. The only odd thing I can figure so far is right now my block is fed internet from a tap and the line isn't fully buried yet.

What distro should I use for a Beowulf Cluster?

is mozilla thunderbird still the go to open source e-mail program?

hi Sup Forums

so I have a stupid question

I'm looking for suggestions for books / reference on software design. I don't care if it's called architecture or engineering or programming or whatever but what I'm looking for is why functions and classes are structured a certain ways and why. I'm hoping for language agnostic general programming problems that are common to all software languages / designs. I get this is impossible to a degree as certain things are language specific.

I don't know the correct terminology for this. It's somewhere just below design patterns. Does anyone have a word for this?

thanks

1. isolate. keep a ping to localhost, localmodem, firsthop, secondhop going in 4 seperate windows.

course of action changes a lot based on which you can continue to ping during an outage.

looking for a recommendation, something comfy and lightweight for reading RSS?
Fell for he mutt meme and removed thunderbird completely

Alright, localhost and localmodem are running. How do I check first & second hop?

tracert(win32)/traceroute(*nix) to someplace on the net you lose connection to like www.Sup Forums.org

take the next ip after your router and the next ip after that and ping those, one is likely an edge device on your isp. then keep pinging Sup Forums or something.

if only Sup Forums ping dies you know it's isp.
if isp ping window also dies you know it's router
if router ping window also dies you know it's NIC

mtr would be more beneficial here

4 hours trying to install grub

give absolute path to esp_mount

full path to esp_mount, it literally tells you to
You're at least reading the wiki which is a good step in the right direction

change esp_mount to /boot
>First, tell GRUB to use UEFI, set the boot directory and set the bootloader ID. Mount the ESP partition to e.g. /boot or /boot/efi and in the following change esp_mount to that mount point (usually /boot):

# grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=esp_mount --bootloader-id=grub

All I had to do was change esp_mount to /boot, I feel dumb
Now GRUB loads but doesnt show any OS
Here we go again
The wiki is perfect. The problem is when you fast read and dont get the small details

>GRUB loads but doesnt show any OS
Did you remember to
>Remember to #Generate the main configuration file after finalizing #Configuration.

qbittorrent fails to update the search engines on my new installation

I thought os-prober would do something
Maybe I didnt use it right

do
# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg after the grub-install you ran a while ago
Also general tip, if you're using arch or any derivative, don't speedrun it, especially if its your first time. Read everything carefully FIRST, then implement it, this will erase 99% of your problems later on

Everything was going smothtly until I had to partition things
I tried that command but I get "Failed to connect to lvmetad"
This is actually a really enjoyable experience, I learned a lot

>Failed to connect to lvmetad
also, google (or startpage) is your friend
pckr.co.uk/arch-grub-mkconfig-lvmetad-failures-inside-chroot-install/

also, arch wiki itself mentions on the troubleshooting part that the lvmetad error doesnt meddle with your install at all, so it should work perfectly regardless

I was reading that exact same page
Didnt work but I will try to get creative now

Is anyone interested In the Linus Live Stream that Just ended? I have the entire video.

interested af, sauce

Give Me about 20 minutes cuz I have to screencap it and it's 20 minutes long. He goes into depth about how people shit on the Hyperloop video and he defends himself.

I recently picked up 'The Art of Electronics' to save myself from brainlet status and I'm already stuck on one of the first exercises.
'If you place a 1 ohm resistor across a 12 colt car battery, how much power will it dissipate?'
This is probably an easy one but I'm going in completely blind here. I get that Ohm's Law but ???

>colt
VOLT FUCK

>the OTHER Linus
nevermind, don't bother

V=IR (1)
P=V*I=(V^2)/R due to (1)
so P= 144 Watts

What's that fan translated book about Soviet Commissars being mostly jewish?

A week ago I ran ~4km with sprints in between, now it feels like my shins hurt when I walk at any speed above walking and it isn't getting any better.
What is this? Can I remedy it?

Did some cmd work. Looks like a problem lies in the second hop. Ping requests to it time out. No pings reach it whatsoever.

That being said I'm still able to browse freely. There doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason to when the ping to Sup Forums starts timing out. It just happens. Sometimes it's one timeout, sometimes it's a set of five in a row.

What's the fix for this?

What is grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg and os-prober supposed to do? They dont do nothing

read the god damn arch wiki like you were told countless times now

Im reading it, you angry autistic retard
I dont know if os-prober is a separated command or not, it doesnt explain how os-prober interacts with the previous command

The second tracert line rather. This is still all french to me.

man os-prober

Call your isp
your peering is shit

GT 1030 because is newer and uses less energy.

>what is grub-m(a)k(e)config(uration) -o(utput) /path_to_some_.c(on)f(i)g_file supposed to do?
Well... rtfm?

What's the best way to explain it to them to fix this?

What's that thing called that let's you use apps that require GApps without installing GApps?

*call isp*
"Your peering is shit and i get packet loss and time outs"

do you have wifi router or do you connect your pc directly to modem/router ISP provided / you bought to connect to ISP?

if it's PC -> wifirouter ->ISP router in your house then 2nd hop failure means your cable modem is the issue.

If it's PC -> ISP router in your house direct then 2nd hop is the ISP screwing up and you should complain.

Also compare pinging by FQDN vs IP to make sure it's not a DNS failure.

how do i avoid ganking up my mouse, mousepad and keyboard?

Grub question:
The thing works just fine every time except when I'm using my disk on RAID 0 mode. If I try to install Ubuntu over windows and then dual boot, both installations just get corrupted and I need to secure erase and reinstall windows. As I said before this doesn't happen if I just use my disk in AHCI mode.
Anyome knows why this happens?

wow cant believe i remember that hoe from xena. muh childhood

On that note, how do you even clean mousepads/foam wristpads? Soap and water doesn't seem to work

Is Optane worth it or should I just go with an HDD+SSD setup like everyone else for vidya?

warm water + dish soap(make sure it dosent have lotion in it) after it dries use isopropyl alcohol and wipe it down

Optane is just a overpriced SSD, it has its uses but its not for gaming.

I accidentally left my solder iron by my laptop battery for a second and it burnt a hole into the battery. It discharges just fine, laptop is fine, it just doesn't charge when plugging it in. Windows says to replace it. I just want to make sure it is unfixable before getting another battery.

You probably damaged the battery controller, its RIP but the cells are fine.

Alright thanks

i'll tell you if u provide sauce on image

Does youtube no longer do that "hovering over recommended video uploaders for a popup to go to their channel" thing anymore? Or did I fuck up something on my end?

Can someone link the previous thread please

How bad idea is buying a GPU from Amazon and pay it in 12 months?

Gonna give a ring.
Thanks Sup Forumsents.

Thanks

oops didnt link sry, but yea

apps dont auto update wat do i do in ios. i got automatic updates turned on

hand sanitizer often

I skip the soap and water part and just use alcohol on cotton balls, sometimes you gotta scrub a little but it cleans stuff off pretty well

Anyone recommend a good replacement battery for a PS3 controller, prefer one available on amazon .. I know they're all chink shit but I want the chink shit that's at least as good as the original battery if not better and not "DOA / holds a charge for 5 minutes" chink shit inb4

144 watts are dissipated from a 12 volt car battery?
Eh?

mathematics
Also they are dissipated from the 1 ohm resistor

Its cool, im on mobile so i appreciate the help

I think I get it now. Was really confused because the book gives Ohm's Law as R=VI. Do both work?

absolutely not
are you certain that R is the resistor and not the P(ower) on that equation?

oh FUCK me it says R = V/I

Anyone know how to download images while in "Gallery Mode" in 4ChanX?

I'd like to be able to press a key and download the image from there

Just read through stuff slowly and watch some electronics lectures on youtube or whatnot
getting started is the hardest part user, I'm sure you'll make it
Have fun studying E&CE
Here's a supreme waifu to get you going

>pretty sure GPU is faulty
>warranty expired in January
what can I do? I can't afford a new GPU

no more computing for you friendo

Thanks lad
Damn she fine