I thought the internet was getting more secure and cybercrime was getting more difficult -- but with this equifax...

I thought the internet was getting more secure and cybercrime was getting more difficult -- but with this equifax breach now I'm not so sure.

Is cybercrime getting easier or is it getting more difficult?

Does this mean the "Wild West" days of the internet still aren't over and won't be for a while?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aMBJi3amjoI
equifaxsecurity2017.com/enroll/
youtube.com/watch?v=qHcGVOJXRzI
medium.com/message/everything-is-broken-81e5f33a24e1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Everybody connected to everything all the time
>Wow how can hacking still be occurring!?!?!?

It's only the wild west for cybercrime ;)

it's getting harder to break into devices and systems but that just means the crimes will become more complex as time goes on.

Malware and criminals taking advantage of human error will always exist. For long as humans trust can exploited, there will always exist those who still fall for the nigerian prince scam

>equifax breach

What, again?

Hacking is more difficult in general but everyone is more connected than ever before. What it means is that there will be less crime but when someone does find an exploit it will be assblastingly massive.

Equifax, the largest credit agency in America, had a data breach affecting ~50% of the US population (read: every adult with a credit history).
Names, credit card numbers, social security numbers, dates of birth, addresses, drivers license numbers.

Because of the size of the breach, and their description (a "vulnerability in a website"), I'm going to assume it was a SQL injection attack and that none of the stored data was encrypted.

>Equifax breach
Ruh-roh. Link?

Again, as in this isn't the first time.

all the IT faggots spend all their time in diversity training because all the diversity hires feel threatened by people that can do their jobs so shit like this happens.

but we sill need more women and minorities in tech, because this wont happen when all the white males are gone.

This. Fucking this.

Also OP cybercrime is honestly just beginning even tho it's been a thing since the 70s...until advanced AI is put in place to counteract malware/hacks/whatever then the weak, mortal man will always be vulnerable.

>unencrypted
huge if true
company that enforces pci compliance is non-pci compliant

>tfw 24 and no debt, no credit
huehue

PCI is the bane of my existence but I understand why it's necessary. This is hilarious if true.

SSNs don't have to be encrypted mah niggas and if the systems weren't handling credit card numbers they don't fall under PCI compliance. Also, lol if you think PCI compliance means anything, especially at orgs that are this size. Trustwave and the other shitbox QSAs will just sign off on whatever the fuck because they are such major cash cows.

Gotta up that credit score son

you can have credit without ever owning a credit card.

are people really making a big deal of this? not really keeping track either way.
just assume my shit has been sold and traded after any of other 'cybersecurity incidents'

There have been so many high profile breaches that I feel the same way.

Don't you know the first rule of cyber security, OP? Any device connected to the Internet is already vulnerable.

I thought the first rule was to enforce a policy of least privilege

Idk I got dnschamged this year, the virus is not detected by any software. The hackers re streamed everything and I got brigadedmto death. Google utopia.net dns. Its like a script that stays on your pc and infects the modem constantly. Very very annoying and dangerous.
I never got hit by any virus before this. 16 years using computers.

Its easier to secure yourself, but it's also easier to find any exploits in the security.

If you're worried about it, you can get Life Lock for like 10 bucks per month.

Doesn't matter. If you've ever been employed or rented an apartment or something, they have your social security number.

Sounds botnetish
Did you use that service before?

Nope. I monitor my own credit. Creditwise is part of my Capital One app, and I also use Credit Karma (which pulls your score from Equifax and TransUnion once per week).

But if you can't be assed, there are options to pay other people to monitor shit for you, and insure you against loss. When they first launched lifelock, the owner drove a truck with his social security number on it all over the place.

This guy again: Vid related: youtube.com/watch?v=aMBJi3amjoI

is there a way to check if this shit affected me without having to potentially give equifax SSN? (Assuming they don't already have it in the first place)

I know equifax themselves set up a form where you put in your last name and last 6 digits of your SSN but considering this fucking retarded breach I don't really trust potentially giving them any part of my SSN (don't have any credit cards nor have I used anything related to equifax to my knowledge but I've heard that this breach can affect pretty much anyone due to equifax's scope as a business)

You don't have to give equifax your SSN.

You give them your last name, and the last 6 digits of your SSN. Keep in mind that they already have your SSN.

equifaxsecurity2017.com/enroll/

they already have my SSN no matter what?

not sure how much equifax covers for that, all I've done with that number is go to college. Outside of that I've always been a NEET who pays for things with cash.

You ever have a job? Ever take out a loan? Ever rent an apartment? Ever put your SSN on literally anything that has anything to do with the transfer of money? Have your parents?

Actually, it will only get worse as the companies hire less and less capable people just to keep the salaries low, and those people rely on worse and more unsafe practices.

This guy lists some of the shit that could help you wind up on their radar: youtube.com/watch?v=qHcGVOJXRzI

insurance

fuck

welp time to go to the website

meant to reply to
im a fuckin mess right now

The technology is getting more reliable, but the people are never going to be patched. Also, there's more money in breaching a system, and so more effort is put into it. Security can only really delay an attacker until you find them, and companies are really not good at setting up secure systems.

Do you have a bank account? If so, your SSN is probably on file with equifax

I gotta wait until the 13th until I can enroll in their identity theft insurance.

That's basically all they are doing about it: a single year of ID theft insurance if they believe you were compromised (if they don't offer it, they don't believe you were compromised - but that doesn't mean you weren't).

If you're in the UK, the US, or Canada, flip a fucking coin. Heads, you're fucked. Tails, you're safe. Those are your odds unless you are completely off-grid your entire life.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. No. Software security is flaming garbage. Just like the biblical valley of Gehenna.

1CE + N. Not using formal verification.

I really hope they can't get away with not only selling all of their stock before releasing the information but also only offering a small section of the people that are affected just ONE fucking year of ID theft insurance

holy shit

I still have trouble believing this shit was accessible via internet. One would think that it would be intranet only.

Smartest thing you can do is to stay the fuck on top of your equifax score. Credit Karma offers it for free, one check per week. Keep in mind it only offers 2 out of the 3 reporting agencies, though. Don't know what you can use to check your Experian credit score that often.

>lose all your personal data because they're too """incompetent""" to secure it
>charge you $19.99/month for credit monitoring and id theft insurance for the rest of your life
REALLY PERMUTING MY PEANUT HERE

TOTALLY NOT A PROTECTION RACKET, TOTALLY NOT A CASE OF MORAL HAZARD RUN AMOK

they will get away with it because the Democrat/GOP uniparty is in their pockets, nothing will happen to the executives and they will laugh as their stock rallies in a few weeks

Did some research. The only way you can get Experian score for free, as far as I can tell, is through the Discover FICO Credit Score Card.

Not positive, but I'm sure that to get that, you're gonna get a hard hit to your credit. If anyone can find just a plain old app that offers Experian for free, let me know.

The Discover score card only offers you one check per month, too. A LOT of shit can happen in that month. I honestly think Credit Karma/Creditwise "1 check per week" isn't often enough, considering what can go on over the course of a week.

Read this post

medium.com/message/everything-is-broken-81e5f33a24e1

yes i know there's some SJW/numale diction in there but it's still correct

Credit.com bases its free score on Experian data, offering both a VantageScore 3.0 and Experian credit score.

I'll try installing the app, and update what I find out. If it checks once per week, between that and credit karma, that should cover the bit 3 agencies about as well as one can hope.

That said, I haven't used it, so I don't know how often it checks.

Credit.com is a no-go. It DOES give your Experian score, but it doesn't give anything BUT the score. If someone were to open up a new account, you would have no fucking clue.

Ok. Here's the solution: Credit Karma covers Equifax and TransUnion scores. Credit Sesame uses Experian.

Credit Karma offers weekly updates, Credit Sesame offers an update per month, but Credit Sesame allows daily updates if you want to pay (2 bucks for a week of daily updates, 30 days for 5 bucks).

Both offer detailed breakdowns of what accounts you have, as well.

1 update per month isn't ideal, but I can't find a free service that updates Experian more than once per month.

Kek, add more pajets and people hired for sjw causes, that is they are not good at what they are doing. Hired by unimportant crap, not by skills.
>What do you get then?
this sums it up

>it's getting harder to break into devices and systems
holes, holes everywhere

if you ask me it's just getting easier btw

>advanced AI is put in place to counteract malware/hacks/whatever then the weak, mortal man will always be vulnerable.
you sure about that user?
you know this can be used the other way right?

like lets say an EC based certificate raper. Al you need to do is let it run on this certificate for weeks/months to develop an algorithm that is able to break them, and you just need to use it once on their service using the certificate

Not him, but I'm of the opinion that thieves will always attack the weakest link in a security chain, and that is almost ALWAYS humans. It's usually easier to convince someone to unlock a door (presuming you take a minute or so to learn their motivations, and can bluff well) than it is to kick the door in.

>go to their website
>by using their checker thing, you waive the right to sue
lmao

>want to check using site
>afraid they'll leak even more shit if in not affected just by being retards

oh god is this true?

>oh god is this true?
No. I've read this shit from top to bottom. Furthermore, even if they tried, it wouldn't work. ToS need to be both simply stated, and easy to find, otherwise they are unenforcable in court of law.

Due to a fuckup of this magnitude, people are freaking out. It would literally have to be a popup where you checked a box, acknowledging that you waived said right to sue.

>I thought the internet was getting more secure and cybercrime was getting more difficult
Nice joke, user.

Good gonna use it and the solution up top to stay safe

>check bank account 4 months ago
>$7 charge to Netflix

>What the fuck why would I be paying for movies??

>Email from FB saying my shit was reactivated and frozen due to weird activity

I got fucking hacked and info traded somewhere in a middle eastern shithole I'm assuming

>The soultion up top
What solution up top?

Ok. Here's the solution: Credit Karma covers Equifax and TransUnion scores. Credit Sesame uses Experian.

Credit Karma offers weekly updates, Credit Sesame offers an update per month, but Credit Sesame allows daily updates if you want to pay (2 bucks for a week of daily updates, 30 days for 5 bucks).

Both offer detailed breakdowns of what accounts you have, as well.

1 update per month isn't ideal, but I can't find a free service that updates Experian more than once per month

Oh. That wasn't up top, but yeah, I wrote that. Keep your eyes on that shit as much as possible. I really wish that Credit Sesame offered a weekly option, like $1/month for weekly updates. I don't need daily updates.

Also, don't sign up for their "Monitoring" shit. It's worthless. There is no insurance policy attached to it. If they find your SSN on the black market, they just let you know, and charge you 15 bucks per month for the privilege.

Name of the site is a joke.

No argument from me. Still can't believe they waited a month to let people know, so that the execs could sell off their stocks. If there aren't arrests, I expect there will be murders.

J u s t.
When did anyone let this shit get to this magnitude

What shit? Credit monitoring agencies? Since before you were born. Equifax was established in 1899.

>he's younger than 117

After the wild west came gangs.

and also there will always be a new wild west. Right now its AI and VR. If you don't already agree with that, you won't until the funs over and you look back and realize what you missed

Literally 5 people have made it over 117.

>Marie-Louise Meilleur
>29th August 1880 – 16th April 1998

>Lucy Hannah
>16th July 1875 – 21st March 1993

>Sarah Knauss
>24th September 1880 – 30th December 1999

>Shigechiyo Izumi
>29th June 1865 – 21st February 1986

>Jeanne Calment
>21st February 1875 – 4th August 1997

Cyber crime is getting harder so when it happens it's gonna be something on the bigger side.
So autistic would might as well go for the big bank.

That's me Shigedoo Izumi
Shitposting from my wise deathbed user

He died 31 years ago.

>not having timed shitposts for Sup Forums threads decades after your death

I thought everyone knew not to give info to a stranger even at 12...

There was no crime here. All that information was sold to the highest bidder.

>Creating a script in 1986, 7 years before the internet hit mainstream, and 17 years before Sup Forums was created.
Ok. That one got a hearty chuckle out of me.

Think again user. Seriously

What sucks is that we're all in the fucking botnet. No X-Files trailer park bullshit can protect us unless we're an aborted fetus that crawled out of a dumpster and made a life for ourselves in the woods.

Hacking will continue as long as it's humans writing programs and developing software. Once we have advanced AI to do it for us then hacking will drop drastically (but not disappear).

>secret service hoards exploits
>everything connected to everything
>OS lifecircles get shorter, so many more people running dangerously outdated shit
>millions of devices running with stock password for years (routers, Raspberry Pi etc...)
>faggots voluntarily share every detail of their lives on social networks
>shitty curry code

How the fuck is cybercrime more difficult?

fpbp

equifax
equally fucked

I work for a pci compliance and dss company

We do everything to secure everything we can however, in some cases there are no real world solution since the client doesn't listen to us and we make them sign a form with the help of an ISA and legal depts so they sign the paperwork if that we are not responsible if something ever happens.....

Cyber security is a big field, but the problem is three things, nobody actually cares about security, some of the people in these companies don't have a lot of experience with this field, and three the clients and vendors just pass the blame on us however, it is their fault...

I have also worked with some amazing companies who do not let anything slide, nothing gets behind them and they even hire outside blue/red teams to conduct security analysis and tell us there are still issues here and there even though we didn't catch it on our end...

>Once we have advanced AI to do it for us

Do you have any idea what begging the question means? "AI" goals are defined by humans. If humans are bad at telling computers what to do without making mistakes (programming) then why do you think they can tell computers what to do without making mistakes (AI)?

They still have all of your information. Every American with a SSN is going to have a credit report even if it's empty.

It's getting more difficult but the criminals are getting better.

About 8 or so years ago I was starting to study things like smashing the stack and heap and format string and buffer overflows and fuzzing, but after seeing all the hardening protections that where being developed I decided that the golden age ways probably ending and not to spend the time to learn it in more depth and now I regret that.

Sec is getting better, but there are still stone agers doing stupid shit because it's "too expensive to refactor"

someone hasn't understood how cybercrime works. you don't attack the system, you attack the user.