Your language's weak points

In your opinion, what are your language's weak points?

English: does English suffer the same weakness as Chinese or Japanese? I.e., If you're not familiar with a word that's being *spoken*, you are much less likely to understand it, in the same way that some Asian languages have the problem with written words?

I think so. Most other European languages, while very different from each other, they themselves follow some kind of rules (most of the time, not all I give you that) that allow you to immediately see how a word is written, even if you haven't heard it before.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_names_in_English_with_counterintuitive_pronunciations
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

French
>äàâéèêîô
Fucking accents, you serve no purpose.

They serve no purpose to people who are familiar with the words I think, but to foreigners I think even English would benefit from them.

They do for some languages where a mark can be the difference between saying anus and year.

They do, fuck you.

My language: Catalan.

The orthography is not very "informative". The words are pronounced as they are written, and sometimes the rules can get complex.

I also think that we should have included an additional vowel in the writing system (the schwa) " ə ".

We write it either as an "a" or an "e", and this causes a lot of bad pronounciation for people learning the language (for those who didn't learn it orally from their family).

>current year
>still being bigoted against homophones
5mh 2bh f4m

SPANISH:

PRO: ITS STILTED HARD CONSONANTS, WHILST RETAINING VOCAL FLUIDITY.

CON: IT IS OVERLY VERBOSE, FOR MY AESTHETIC STANDARDS, ALBEIT BEING THE LEAST VERBOSE ROMANCE LANGUAGE.

ENGLISH:

PRO: IT IS OVERLY VERSATILE, AND RELATIVELY CONCISE.

CON: THE PRONUNCIATION/SPELLING DISPARITY IS OVERLY HIGH.

The words are not pronounced the way they are written

(Correction)

>spanish
irregular verbs
Male/female nouns could be more consistent
Repeated sounds in consonants / not enough vowel sounds

MAYUSCULOS

If we hate our enemies, they win.
Why is there so many irregulars? Is it just to help the pronunciation to sound better?

>Why is there so many irregulars? Is it just to help the pronunciation to sound better?
There are irregular verbs everywhere. It just helps to understand when a thing was done. However, English for example is much more mild when it comes to that. An unrelated example is the expression "the other day". While nobody would question that, it is very ambiguous to most non-English people. Other people need to know more specifically when the action happened.

Even that is vague. Other day could be two days ago, 4 , 5.

Mother Tongue : Algeria (Commonly know as Derija, an offshoot of a largel Maghrebi dialect continuum), Yes it does exist linguistically.

Weaknesses : No one gives a shit about it, not even as a regulated dialect, so it might as well not exist.

>Algerian

Hebrew

the greatest weakness imo is how we lost the sound of 3 letters which are now indistinguishable from 3 other letters.

another weak point is that we almost don't use vowel letters what sometimes makes a word readable only after you have already heard it.

another thing is that hebrew is pretty lame for insluts.

double negatives are allowed ie never say never - never don't say never here

Finland best language

The standard version sounds gay.

I don't think I'm in a proper position to analyze my language since I never was as acquainted as I could be with its studies but here are a few things that I can think of:

>Pros
It's a pretty straight-forward language, at least the commonly spoken version of it. There are not much of what I'd call 'grammatical ornaments', which you usually see in French, nor particles that give the sentences certain connotations depending on its positions in the sentence or context, as you see in the German language. If you want to get poetic you simply use fancy words and retain the exact same grammatical rules. Matter of fact, by simply applying those rules, in opposition to colloquial speaking, you may get poetic enough. The language is that beautiful.

>Cons
I sincerely cannot think of one, I always think this idiom as being the best thing the Portuguese have gifted us with.

>In your opinion, what are your language's weak points?

It's not a very 'nice' language in my opinion. It has no real melody to it, a grammatical structure that's at the same time simple yet irrational/irregular and it feels like it doesn't have the emotional range of other languages.

To put it very bluntly, it truly is the language of traders: a language made to express "give me X for my Y" and not much past that.

There are none

Most of the time it's because of the pronunciation or to differentiate them from other words.

French weak points: Infinite amount of exceptions and rules that don't make any sens but it's fine if you're a native. Also it's really easy to fuck up the spelling of some some words. Not really talking about obscure tens because nobody ever uses them.

>tfw I fail the french duolingo's test as a native cause of bad spelling

>"the other day"

We literally say "el otro día"

>tfw the orthography is so deep in my mind that I can't even clearly tell how I actually pronounce words

Nuance between formal or informal
Formal is TOO formal and informal TOO informal
Maybe PT-PT is different though

No such thing.

English suffers from having very primitive grammar rules that are restrictive for more flexible use of word order.

Russian: too complex orthography and punctuation, even Russians make shittons of mistakes in writing because of it.

I have con for Portuguese. It's so much like Spanish, it should be absorbed by it.
Seriously guys, Portuguese is like three or commits behind the Spanish master branch and it's featured as a completely different standalone fork.

If I can speak your language while being drunk, without even knowing it and with no intention whatsoever, it shouldn't be considered a new language at all by general rule.

Agree, spanish is a dialect of portuguese since portuguese appeared first so you should be the one being absorbed, not us.
Spanish just manage to be more popular because Castille banged every kingdom of the iberian kingdom, hence being more relevant to poor little Portugal that even when managed to become a global empire was cucked by Tordesilhas.

It's all pig latin 2bh

True enough
We all speak a bastarizard literal pleb version of latin

Unsurprisingly enough we say the same in italian.
But I fear we could hurt our so-not-european friend if he discovers his language no to be so peculiar and alien as he hoped for.

Everything.

I feel bad for whoever tries to learn it.

Senpai, it's more like the bastardized literal pleb versions of low class Latin (aka Vulgar Latin).

>Finnish

Literally best language, very eloquent. If a sentence starts going wrong, with some mindfuckery you can save it and turn it into a real nice sentence.

>no (standard) plural for "you"
>very little ability to form compound words by just sticking words together (beyond basic stuff like "postman" and "lighthouse")
>hard to tell how words are pronounced since spelling often doesn't match pronunciation very well

Some are useful, others aren't.

Get rid of the meme ones like ô, î and ù

Feminine and masculine gender haven't fully merged yet

>hard to tell how words are pronounced since spelling often doesn't match pronunciation very well

what
the
fuck

are you talking about?

the fact that there is no one to one correspondance between letters and sounds/general spelling rules in english like there is in most civilized languages. If an anglo were to hear a word for the first time they would not know how it was spelled and if they were to read a word for the first time they would not know how it was pronounced.

Shits like 'sky'? They could be written as skai.

"English is tough. It can be learned through tough thorough thought, though.

I just mean that a lot of words aren't pronounced how they're spelt, like how "colonel" is pronounced "ker-nul"), random silent letters in words (doubt, listen, castle, Wednesday), sometimes "gh" is pronounced like a "g", sometimes an "f", sometimes not at all, etc. I mean, there's loads of stuff like that. Even things like the "o" in "words" sounding like a "u", but the "o" in "women" sounding like an "i"

It's especially bad with placenames, since the spellings are often way off and you just have to know how they're pronounced. There's even Wikipedia articles about it: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_names_in_English_with_counterintuitive_pronunciations

Except it's no secret how the letter 'y' is pronounced in words:

JustifYing; dignifYing and so on

I got your point

How do you pronounce Sylvia?

what is yoghurt

There's an 'o' right in front of 'y' so you get the hint that you probably should pronounce it somewhat like in 'you'

And that hint would be wrong.

ù is probably the most important
it serves to differenciate
"ou" and "où"
"ou" means "or"
"où" means "where

so ok the prononciation is the same, but they are really important in a text

bring back þ and ð my man