/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

old thread: Don't forget to inflate your billable hours!
You DO freelance, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

voidlinux.eu/
julialang.org/
evanmiller.org/why-im-betting-on-julia.html
randomfantasies.com/2016/02/why-im-betting-on-vulkan-and-julia/
youtube.com/watch?v=KrksBdWcZgQ
youtube.com/watch?v=qHcGVOJXRzI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Inflate?

Fill with air. Like you do with your bicycle tires. My boss asks me to fill in a timesheet sometimes and then I blow on his face. It usually satisfies him and makes him leave.

How the FUCK do I install gcc

Did you love Lain today, /dpt/?

>inflating billable hours instead of just charging what your time is actually worth.

sudo apt install gcc

>Fill with air. Like you do with your bicycle tires.
M̶y̶ ̶f̶e̶t̶i̶s̶h̶

But your time is effectively worthless since pajeets will do your job for a fraction of the cost of your rent!

on windows just use mingw

How do compilers usually implement cycles? Specially when the parser uses recursion. It can't be as dumb as having all possible instruction in a method and doing passing some flags hackery, right?

Wrong.
xbps-install gcc

but why

Because Void is better.

why is it?

Read for yourself, user: voidlinux.eu/

both wrong
sudo pacman -Syu mingw-w64-gcc

go away nerd

300 hours ms paint.

kys brainlet

wtf are you talking about

arch users are just brainlets who can't handle gentoo, desu.

>windows
No.

This meme was shit when it was alive, now it's just pitiful.

>Don't forget to inflate your billable hours!

The true path to success is to maximize the amount of free food you get during the course of a project.

What are you guys' thoughts on the Julia programming language?

It's probably going to look unimportant to you if you're not doing science related things, but it's been a game changer for me lately.

julialang.org/

probably more /sci/ related since /dpt/ doesnt really do that kind of programming.
Wish i wasnt a brainlet so i could appreciate the math related stuff.

What have you been doing in ti?

Trying to make emacs align the equals signs in my code (for Haskell)

Currently, the command
[/code] M-x align regexp RET = RET [/code]
works well, but I want something a bit more useful.

I guess what I'm asking is how to do the following:
Select all text
perform M-x align regexp RET = RET
name it "align-equals"

I'm not too good at elisp, but so far I know that there's a defalias function I could use... After that I'm stuck

I'm a student so nothing too fancy, it's just been so easy to learn and use, while also being extremely powerful and tweakable. I've been doing some routine data analysis at the lab, some chaos encryption, and some toying around with interval arithmetic and neural networks

It's basically a language that has easy readability/syntax (even more so than Python, at least in my eyes) combined with a powerhouse under the hood similar to C in speed/efficiency, plus very sane development/packaging policies

If you care about the topic I found these interesting reads

evanmiller.org/why-im-betting-on-julia.html
randomfantasies.com/2016/02/why-im-betting-on-vulkan-and-julia/

This is only important if you're a grad student. Food is cheap.

Ruby, how does it feel knowing that the language that you like ironically is used in production in the real world? As are Python and JS? And that anything worthy you encounter in academia will take at least 20 years to turn up in industry?

>boss allways gives me the stink eye because I leave with a plate stacked with break room food everyday when someone brings something in.
>Get free meals from my bf for a while so I stop doing it
>new responsibility as intern is now to throw away all the food that is left out overnight
>somehow this is better in by bosses mind

Is it still recommended to start by learning HTML, CSS, and Javascript?

If you aspire to be a web ""'dev'"", sure

What if I just aspire to make money in the quickest time possible and have free time to learn?

Learn python instead then

Then learn web dev with JS yep

>how does it feel knowing that the language that you like ironically is used in production in the real world? As are Python and JS?
People make silly choices when programming. Ruby, Python, and JavaScript all have their uses, but they are often the wrong tool for the wrong problem.

>And that anything worthy you encounter in academia will take at least 20 years to turn up in industry?
The reverse is also true, at least from the teaching side of things.

Instead of throwing it away, put it in your car. Take it home and eat it for yourself, or maybe hand it out to homeless people.

>>return ''.join([letter for letter in letters if letter != '-'])

Is python a meme language?

>The reverse is also true, at least from the teaching side of things.
>industry
>producing any worthy CS insights
funny joke

Anyone here have much knowledge of the Kanban process?

terrible, just awful

lol a contrarian on Sup Forums. How unique.

It's not so much the CS I'm referring to, but the tooling. Universities don't like to upgrade what they're teaching very often. When I took my first CS class, the teaching language for the introductory courses was Ada. Later on, they switched to Python.

Seems like a downgrade to me.

sorry your "process" is snake oil made to sell books and training

that's pretty disgusting desu

So I got an idea for a programming project: make a complex calculator (I've already done that), but make it so that the 'core' (i.e. the part that takes an expression like '7 + 3.5 * (pi ^ 2)' and returns an appropriate result) portable enough so I can put in various devices, like a desktop application, smartphone app or put on a server for a website.

Is this feasible and impressive enough for one person?

I'll agree to an extent.

Yes. No.

>Yes. No.
So what would be an impressive project, given I'm just one guy?

Build your own compiler for a useful high-level language.

Can I omit an argument in a C++ macro? I hate this. __VA_ARGS__ isn't portable. Should I just be using functions even though there could be a runtime cost if it doesn't inline?

This. Build a compiler. I wrote a C compiler as an undergrad and it was painful but worth it. Start with an easy project, like a front-end which goes from C++ to C (or your own language to C).

>using C++ "macros"
>not using lisp

>I'm just one guy
How is that relevant?
You don't need a team of people to do something impressive.
This is especially true when it comes to programming.

>You don't need a team of people to do something impressive.
You actually do need that, or lots and lots of free time and dedication. If you think otherwise, feel free to show off your impressive projects.

This is a cool talk

youtube.com/watch?v=KrksBdWcZgQ

i got that in my recommendations too
I also watch a lot of videos on women's makeup and japanese girly anime like pripara, are you a girl too, ruby?

CAN SOME ONE FUCKING EXPLAIN WHY MY TTS IS READING PM AS "pMUETERS"???

How do blind people program?
also, soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi!

I am mute not blind.

but thanks for pic related.

Ruby is a girl

youtube.com/watch?v=qHcGVOJXRzI

>not sure if should be excited for future career prospects as a cybersecurity researcher or horrified because major fuckups are holding onto our data.

jim is a fag

How many recommendations do we share, ruby?

If you actually believe that you're probably a code monkey who can't do anything other than try and implement someone else's ideas.
Protip: if a lot of people can do what you're doing then chances are the thing you're doing it not very impressive.

>feel free to show off your impressive projects.
I don't need to show you my own projects to prove that to you.
Leave Sup Forums once and a while and you'll see many projects who were started and are maintained by a single person.

>women's makeup
>women's

I cant tell if you are a incredibly awkward robot or a mentally damaged trans.

I have never heard some one qualify makeup with women's to make sure we all knew they werent looking at "mens" makeup.

>equifax
give me a quick rundown on this

>Build your own compiler for a useful high-level language.
>Start with an easy project, like a front-end which goes from C++ to C (or your own language to C).
Thanks for the advice. I think I do that after the calculator and FSM.

>How is that relevant?
It's good to know what resources your working with.

He is, but the Equifac fuckup is real.

Nothing much else. These are my recommended now.

>I don't need to show you my own projects to prove that to you.
You simply (and predictably) don't have any.

>you'll see many projects who were started and are maintained by a single person.
Sure, and every single one of them falls under "lots and lots of free time and dedication", as mentioned in the post you're responding to. You'd know how difficult it is if you actually knew how to program beyond babby's first website.

There are three major credit reporting agencies in the US. One of them just got a data breach, exposing the personal information of 143 million Americans. That's roughly 44.6% of us. This information includes:

Social security numbers
Driver's license numbers
Credit card numbers
Home addresses
Birthdays

Basically we're all fucked. As Jim put it in his videos. Flip a fucking coin. If you lose the clip, you're now vulnerable to identity theft.

Can I use cdt on windows ?

>You simply (and predictably) don't have any.
Nice assumption.

>lots and lots of free time and dedication
Of course you need time to do something.
Having someone else's help doesn't change that.
Show me a single impressive project which was done instantaneously just because someone had a team of people helping them to program something.

>if you actually knew how to program beyond babby's first website.
Nice projection.

Who's behind this?

>Flip a fucking coin. If you lose the clip,
What does the idiom "if you lose the clip" mean?

Are there any GUI frameworks that aren't shit? GTK, Qt, wxWidgets all look awful. Unfortunately Microsoft's WPF is actually the best shit I've ever used, but essentially exclusive to C# and is being abandoned in favor of UWP, which is just webapp bullshit.

So as a guy who doesn't know anything about programming where do I start ?
I use windows btw is it bad ?

>So as a guy who doesn't know anything about programming where do I start ?
Learn 1 language. I would recommend either Java or Python, since they are often used as 'introductory languages' with lots of resources. Just find a tutorial on the internet or pirate a textbook and follow it.

> I use windows btw is it bad ?
For learning programming, it's okay.

Dunno, but some of the execs sold off a bunch of shares and jumped ship. They need to be locked up.

It's a typo.

>I use windows btw is it bad ?
Not at all, you can pick and learn any language. If you're already on windows might as well pick up C# since it has a good balance between being easy to pick up and not being a massive pile of garbage

>a load of strawmanning and hypocrisy
Perhaps your opinions on this issue will carry some weight when you have anything impressive of your own to show off. One way or another, your original contention was that TempleOS would've been as impressive a feat if it was done by Microsoft instead of just one guy, so you're clearly a drooling retard who isn't worth anyone's time.

>when you have anything impressive of your own to show off
A shame I can't say the same to you.
Keep waiting for other people to carry you on the shoulders there and see how that will work for you.

>your original contention was that TempleOS would've been as impressive a feat if it was done by Microsoft instead of just one guy
You should probably work on your reading comprehension.

>more strawmanning
>outright lying that you didn't say the number of people working on a project isn't relevant to the standard of impressiveness

Dude, all male actors, tv presenters and even some musicans use makeup, quite extensively

It's not relevant, retard.
Quality >> quantity.

Codeacademy is pretty decent.

I know that. But have you ever heard it colloquially referred to as men's makeup?

Its just makeup.

>it's not relevant
>the number of people working on a project is not relevant to its impressiveness
>a project is equally impressive whether it was the work of one man or dozens
>TempleOS would've been as impressive a feat if it was done by Microsoft rather than just Terry
You know your premise is retarded when absurdities logically follow from it. Kill yourself.

>a project is equally impressive whether it was the work of one man or dozens
Again, you should work on your reading comprehension.
Just because I said something is irrelevant it doesn't mean there are no other factors that will define the "impressiveness" of a project (e.g., the quality of the one guy vs the quality of a dozen pajeets).

It has been a while since I've seen someone being this retarded unironically.
I'm actually impressed.

>absolutely fails to grasp my post
>y-y-you're just b-bad at reading comprehension
Please, before you kill yourself, make sure you take out every other fertile member of your family.

>arguments == 0
We are done here.

>blatantly lies a second time
Here's the argument: Anyone can see that your post doesn't address it in any way, shape or form. Now sterilized yourself.

It has already been explained to you that just because X and Y are independent that does not mean Y and Z and also independent.
If your double-digit IQ doesn't allow you to understand this simple concept I can't help you.

>project accomplished by one person is impressive
>same project accomplished by 50 people would've been unimpressive
>number of people working on a project and level of impressiveness are clearly independent
Of course this opinion would come from an animeposter.

I wrote a program that prints every number between 1 and 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 am I a based programmer yet?

Actually, let me dumb it down for you: finishing an "impressive" project on your own is nearly impossible. None of the "impressive" examples you can muster would be impressive in their own right when put side by side with the state of the art. Therefore the question "what can be considered impressive for a one guy to accomplish" is perfectly valid, and the fact that it's only one guy is directly relevant. Making your own operating system is impressive because it's a lot of work and expertise for one man to have, not because the product is impressive per se. Now quit being a drooling fucking mongoloid.

>>same project accomplished by 50 people would've been unimpressive
That's like your opinion, retard.
I understand what is your problem now.
You think that if someone throws enough money and people at a given project then you necessarily have an impressive outcome.
Again, you're fucking retarded. Stop wasting my time.

>You think that if someone throws enough money and people at a given project then you necessarily have an impressive outcome.
This was neither stated nor implied anywhere, you literal subhuman. Now tell me again how my reading comprehension is bad. Jesus fuck... the "people" who spawned you should be arrested. Back to .

yes
of course