NOT my life senpai

>principles of computer systems first day
>teacher assumes we all know boolean logic and arithmetic
>teacher assumes we know about boolean algebraic properties
>slaps us into a lab with his homebrew java vhdl software
>no manual
>tells us to build 20 different gates ranging from NOT, OR, all the way to some convoluted "comprehension check" abomination of demuxes and xors on a 32-bus
>can only use nand gates
>says we can stay until midnight to finish it
>anyone who gets less than a 90 will be dropped
>doesn't tell you how to construct a disjunctive normal form formula
>no google

JUST FUCK ME UP SENPAI. Why are professors like this?
>proofing de morgan's law
>creating functions from truth tables
>figure it out after an hour of floundering around
I-i-is this how all of CS is? I've got mathematical foundations of computing tomorrow and I don't know if I'm gonna have to figure out P=NP all by my own. Maybe I'll just drop out and become a bitcoin speculator.

My condolences go out to your parents.

Sounds like your teachers are just douches who like throwing you into the deep end. I learned all of that over a period of weeks. Proofing De Morgan's Law shouldn't be difficult if your teacher has gone over other examples.

>Proofing De Morgan's Law shouldn't be difficult if your teacher has gone over other examples
Yeah I wish there was a quick rundown like Noam Nisan's course. I only learned after the fact all of the formal names for what I was doing.

The handwriting makes me think it's just a kid.
Teacher is right tho, 5x3 is not equivalent to 5+5+5.

Is 5x3 not just three 5s?

5x3 is not 3x5. They equal the same, but are not equivalent.
5x3 is like 5 bundles of 3 apples each. You have 15 apples. But 5 bundles of 3 is very different than 3 bundles of 5.

The commutative property would like to have a word with you. Abstract mathematics not practical applications.

Saying 5+5+5 is incorrect
You do not have 3 sets of 5, you have 5 sets of 3. They are equal, but not equivalent. Perhaps you don't know what the word equivalent means?

It would matter in many situations, especially if you had variables. Think of it as bundles * apples.
If bundles cost $2, and you have 5 bundles of 3 apples, you have $10 worth of product.

Increasing the number of bundles you have to 6 means you have $12 worth of product.

But increasing the number of apples in the bundles to 4 does not change the fact each bundle is set to $2.

was it on the syllabus?

the kid is right. the teacher's brain works backwards

>Week 1
>You will be learning about simple low-level computer architectures that make up processing units.
>At the end of the week you will be able to design simple schematics for powerful Arithmetic Logical Units

>Arithmetic Logical Units
that's your key phrase

Numbers are abstract concepts of value. There is no bundles * apples, like there is in statistics or applied maths, only numbers. 5x3 is 15 apples, you can also say there are 3x5 apples which is also 15. This is the commutative property of multiplication. If the original question said bundles * apples, you would be correct, but it says only numbers, nothing more.

Perhaps my preconceptions about the class were wrong. I assumed I was going to be introduced to the topic, not dropped into a gladiator pit with it.
>DDG
Checkout Searx on github if you're big on privacy.

either one works. when i see 5x3 my mind says their are 3 5s. Teacher was just being a cunt.
I'm guessing she has little else to do other than micromanage some kids' time tables.

>dropped into a gladiator pit
but did you die?
I assume he's not actually going to end up dropping everyone? or maybe he's just sink or swim?
>Checkout Searx on github if you're big on privacy.
will do.

>I assume he's not actually going to end up dropping everyone? or maybe he's just sink or swim?
The class'll find out soon enough.
>but did you die?
A part of my innocence was lost today.

that's pedantic bullshit that hinders more than it helps

you were taught this bullshit in school, weren't you? that's why you're retarded.

Why are you taking such a course without knowing the basics of formal logic?

If this is your first semester it is designed to make you drop out, at least here in Germany that is the case.

If it isn't why don't you know about Boolean logic?