So how important is G-Sync technology when building a new computer?

So how important is G-Sync technology when building a new computer?

I've heard things like it gives PCs frame consistency like consoles which is really attractive for me.

Anyone here who uses gsync compare to screens which don't?

Don't use goysync, use freesync instead.

Good luck finding a high end AMD GPU for a decent price.

Gsync is fantastic, love when you poorcunts blab on about freesync

>frame consistency like consoles
Where the hell did you heard this?

>frame consistency
yes, kind of
>like consoles
no, this fundamental misunderstanding of how the technology works

if you have a game and it plays at a perfect 60fps with 16.666ms between frames every time you're not going to get any stuttering or freezing, it'll play perfectly smoothly, but you'll still get tearing because your 16.666ms between frames isn't always going to match up with your monitor's refresh rate because there's nothing there syncing them together, tearing is traditionally fixed with vsync with single/double/triple frame buffering which means gpu frames are drawn in advanced and used when they match your monitors refresh rate which wants a new frame every 16.666 miliseconds (for 60hz) regardless if a frame is ready - buffering frames in advanced causes input lag as the frame you're getting could be 30-40ms slower than your last frame which could have been drawn and displayed in 16.666ms - this causes a slight rubber band effect on the mouse which matters more in some games than others, namely fast paced first person games

gsync and freesync solve this problem at a hardware level, the gpu tells the monitor when to scan which means the monitor dynamically adjusts it's refresh rate to match the speed at which your gpu can draw frames, if frames are slower than your 16.666ms the monitor doesn't display a new frame until it's ready which means you'll never get tearing as there will never be two frames displayed, and FAR more importantly with regards to stuttering it means that the monitor will never display the same frame twice since the monitor waits until the gpu says to display a frame, this doesn't mean that you don't notice frame drops but rather when you have a severe frame drop (say, 60fps down to 45fps) it feels like the game has gone slow motion, and in a sense it has, but it's done so in a far more fluid motion which is FAR less jarring than stuttering

continuing in next post

basically, if you want a ghetto gsync experience enable a frame cap for something your gpu can actually handle (say, 45fps, or 30fps, you don't want frame drops below this frame cap), and turn vsync on if you're having tearing - you'll basically have gsync but with the problems that vsync causes (namely input delay)
that's not to say gsync or freesync are perfect, they have their problems sure, and they're not strictly necessary if you have a decent gpu to begin with, but the choices before were either tearing or input delay whereas the choice now is tearing or no tearing

>AMD

no thanks

So basically how does G-sync screens compare to screens that don't have it?

A lot better. If its got built in you get no screen tearing

It really doesn't matter unless you play some very fast-paced multiplayer games at a very high competitive level, which you probably don't.

? it works at lower fps too.

G-sync is necessary since it includes ULMB which is a requirement of high-tier gaming.

ITT: nVidia shills

>pol memer retard

>cant afford a gsync
you are all jew shills

variable sync is a meme and causes input lag even if it is minor compared to vsync. just get the cheapest 1440p60 monitor you can find and if you really want to play at higher framerates just play with an unlocked framerate. i barely notice any screen tearing myself when i do that.

gsync currently has a 1ms response time
freesync 2 has 0.3ms respone time

freesync is literally the best choice no matter how you see the situation

ULMB/backlight strobing is the main reason gsync is more expensive, vendor neutral motion blur reduction monitors are more expensive than vanilla monitors as well.

>0.7 ms difference
>thinking this matters

kek

Both pointless since you have to buy a new monitor anyways. I say bring back the mod modules.

ULMB > gsync

You mean .5s, and no monitors that claim that are even out yet for review. Also,
>TN

I dont understand the gsync/freesync price argument.
People usually spend 400-500$ on gpus on top of another 500$ on monitors. a price difference of 100$ if you are already spending 1000+ is so marginal especially considering that nvidia has the better gpu's.

Can't fucking handle the screen darkening and loss of contrast

>I've heard things like it gives PCs frame consistency like consoles which is really attractive for me.

incorrect. Consoles just cap the framerate at something the console can handle, 30 or 60 fps.

You can do the same for free.

It doesnt look like that on my Asus.

> frame consistency like consoles

That would be Vsync or "Fast Sync" (Nvidia)/"Enhanced Sync" (AMD)

Gsync and Freesync go beyond that.

Under normal circumstances I may agree with you.

But under current conditions for the cost of a vega 64 and a free sync 1440, 144hz freesync monitor you can get a fucking 1080ti and a 1440 144hz Gsync monitor.

There is no contest.

Wait until AMD implements NGG fast path in their drivers which quadruples polygon throughput, then decide.

So give it to me straight Sup Forums

do you need Gsync or not for a better experience?

Maybe, but at least nVidia focus on gaming, how many games, please name how many games AMD are backing over the next few years compared to nvidia supporting devs with their games to make sure they actually work on release. AMD fucked up with Vega not only that but their cards are late yet more expensive? We got miners to blame but so AMD as they are focusing on them, they even focus their drivers on miners yet gaming side of their drivers are going down the shithole once again.

So many AMD owners are making the switch back since they fucked them over with promises of bullshit, it wouldn't have been bad if Vega were cheaper but no.

>monitor choice locks you in to a GPU vendor
Good goys. Next they'll have mouses that only work with certain CPUs

>wait till AMD
gee, you freegans do alot of waiting here

Imagine if they started to lock games behind your GPU/CPU choice...

Well, you retards keep shelling out the shekels for all of these (((features)))

The worst thing about G-Sync is that it is much less impactful with a 144hz monitor. Tearing and to a lesser degree smoothness are just not that bad with a high refresh rate.
Adaptive sync is absolutely vital at 60/75hz. You get an incredible amount of tearing you get in some games (and processing lag with V-Sync) at regular refresh rates, and 50fps on a 60hz monitor just feels like shit.

Sadly there are no affordable G-Sync monitors with regular refresh rates. Nvidiots keep praising how good G-Sync is, despite the fact that Nvidia have effectively barred anyone with a sensible budget and a midrange card from ever getting adaptive sync.

Freesync is not great yet either - we need more 1440p 75hz non-TN ones at good prices, outside of the 32" HPs, a couple of Iiyamas and some new Samsungs. But at least they are available

Hopefully Apple adopting adaptive sync and Raven Ridge laptops will force Nvidia to reconsider. Not expecting them to drop G-Sync modules alltogether, but they could at least allow Nvidia cards to utilize Vesa adaptive sync on Freesync monitors through displayport up to 75hz or something

This, it's such fucking crap. Freesync is "open" but is de facto AMD exclusive, GSync is obviously NVIDIA exclusive. No matter what you buy you're assfucked if you want to switch GPU vendors and use the same monitor. GSync is even shittier since it comes at a large premium.

Then wait for game developers to use the feature that only 1% of their user base will be able to take advantage of?

Never going to happen.

Maybe we would get games, where PhysX actually matters.

I think, adaptive sync is right there, in control panel. Activates VSync only if you get more than 60 frames.

Its not great. It requires you to use vsync with all its issues and doesen't really work all that well half the time

"adaptive sync" is the general term for Freesync and G-Sync. Adaptive Vsync is what you're thinking about.

Never had a good time with that function personally, couldn't get it working without hitches and it doesn't address tearing at lower framerates.

I'll wait until it's available at MSRP and isn't fucked with piss poor drivers.

Apparently the RTG dev team is based out of India, too. I almost don't want to buy just on principle.

Hire americans you fuckheads.

Freesync has no quality control because its Displayport 1.2a instead of a real standard.
So yes, if you buy a Freesync panel, you get the sync, but you could also get:
1. No color or contrast depth
2. A whole bunch of 60hz Freesync panels, due displayport 1.2a
3. Did we mention that this is Displayport 1.2a? So input lag is not part of the standard, meaning even if you get 144hz Freesync panel, there could be .1 or .2 secons of input lag from queued frames
4. Strobing/Lightboost is not part of the standard either. Which is needed to really enjoy the benefits of high Hz gaming.

On the G-sync part, there is some quality control, against a rather large premium and vendor lock in.

If you've already got an nVidia card, it's totally worth it, been a user for a year and a half.

But why?

don't forget shitty freesync ranges like some with upto 144hz support but only upto 90hz support when freesync is activated. 40-90hz

Both Gsync and free sync are marketing gimmicks.
They are both designed to keep you buying the same brand, as ur Monitor will Outlast a GPU.

I did blind testing with my brother and roommate and none of us could tell if Gsync was in or off.
Why?
Because I tailer settings and frame caps to sustain stable frame rates.
Example: I'll cap fps in afterburner at 144fps(not vsync). I'll tune settings to stay at 144fps at around 85-99% GPU usage.
That way, my FPS stays at my target 99% of the time.
Removing the need for these gimmicky sync garbage.

The only way these Sync tech would even be useful, would be if framerates were super variable.
But anyone can download MSI afterburner and set a frame cap without the Input lag from Vsync.