What's the best "virtual machine" for linux so I can play my vidya games and use windows programs

What's the best "virtual machine" for linux so I can play my vidya games and use windows programs

Other urls found in this thread:

level1techs.com/article/ryzen-gpu-passthrough-setup-guide-fedora-26-windows-gaming-linux
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Virtual Box

I'm partial to my Dell.

lol no
use QEMU/KVM on loonix

>check the Arch wiki for GPU passthrough
>tens of pages of steps you need to take to get it working and flush out any bugs, errors and other problems

just dual boot

This, it's efficient and very quick since it's native to GNU/Linux.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

KVM with QEMU. Usually paired with Libvirt and Virt-Manager.

You're literally looking for VGA Passthrough which makes it damn identical to using Windows in a normal bare-metal environment. The drop in FPS is so insignificant that you almost can't see it.

If you don't want to do VGA passthrough or don't have the compatible hardware, I'd rather recommend VirtualBox, because QEMU's "Spice" and "QXL" software emulated GPU is garbage in Windows 10. However with VGA passthrough, QEMU and KVM is vastly superior over VirtualBox.

Pic related. It's a little outdated I think, but most of the information is still relevant. Requirements haven't changed.

Here's an example video I made for another thread a few months ago. Excuse the shit quality and shakycam, but it still shows what you can do with it.

Personally I usually use it for FFXIV and Visual Studio, plus some very light Sony Vegas usage. Works excellent, and I'll never fucking ever go back to using Windows in bare metal again. Once it's set up, you're pretty much set for the rest of time.

KVM/QEMU for Intel
Xen for Ryzen
KVM unfortunately is bugged on Ryzen whixh makes it difficult to play games

Unironically this.

Linux = For work
Windows = For fun

Mac OS (Hackintosh) for work,
Windows for fun.

Works so damn well.

wtf I've been using virtualbox all this time for my labs. Is there any real benefit if idgaf about playing games?

For VGA passthrough you'll get native performance on all applications including graphical applications like Photoshop, video editing software, AutoDesk software and such. It would be like plugging the GPU directly into the VM so there isn't any overhead or complications. If you don't need high graphical performance like that or games, a VirtualBox setup is enough really.

Try Linux subsystem for Windows
Works pretty nicely

OH MAN! Thanks!
That will speed up my transition from win7 a lot.

Why all this hassle if you can just dual boot?

And let the botnet botnet?

But you use Windows anyway. What's the difference? It's not like Wine where you use only the application.

I just use WINE for most games unless it runs a whole lot better in Windows then I'll dual boot. I don't switch over to the dual boot that often so I don't really think setting up a GPU passthrough would be necessary

level1techs.com/article/ryzen-gpu-passthrough-setup-guide-fedora-26-windows-gaming-linux