Washing mashines and dryers

Enough of this smartphone and computer stuff. Dryers and washing mashines are technology too. I just moved to the US and was shocked to see that there are no Siemens or Miele mashines here. What the actual fuck? All the dryers here look like cheap china plastic shit. Should I just import something?

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/technology/2016/nov/04/samsung-washing-machine-recall-explosion-risk
mieleusa.com/
speedqueen.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You think neets here even know how to operate a washing machine?

I have Samsung combo, works fine.

Siemens en Miele are meme tier btw.

miele is overpriced

>Samsung washing machine
>literally explodes
theguardian.com/technology/2016/nov/04/samsung-washing-machine-recall-explosion-risk

not even once

Jesus, what's up with Samsung and shit exploding?

Just install gentoo on it

Just put your dishes in, load it up with dishwashing detergent, and press a few buttons and you're done. Nobody can be so dumb they can't figure that out

Why can I only find fully automatic washers overseas? When I was in Taiwan and Japan they had washers that would automatically figure out the wash size, dispense the correct detergent, etc. All you did was throw the clothes in and hit start.

In america we buy washing machines from the same company that makes our cellphones.. or if youre old fashion get one from a refrigeration company. (dont forget to tip)

Yeah Miele is overpriced, but they are built like tanks. My last Miele dryer worked without a flaw for 12 years.

>shocked to see that there are no Siemens or Miele mashines her
mieleusa.com/

A Siemens washing machine which my family bought back in 1999 stills works like a clock today. Washing machines made pre-2000 are truly tanks

they are taking over world with explosive speed thus some smaller explosions might happen, it means that you have good luck if your device explodes.

I save money not having to buy and run a washing machine by using a bucket of water to wash my clothes.

but you don't save time

You save more time wearing no clothes at all

you're in GE country now

>caring this much

they're pricey but well worth their money.
!= overpriced.

>not just showering in your clothes

The US is the second largest market behind Germany for miele. Maybe you aren't looking hard enough.

Sorry for being retarded. I read somewhere that Miele stopped selling in the US. My bad.

Never EVER buy Samsung when it involves moving parts or batteries.

Miele produces lower quality batches for the non euro market anyway. Americans just don't give a shit it seems.

we don't. washer and dryers are expected to break in America.

Don't trust a washing machine your didn't compile yourself

my mom's Miele washer and dryer have been in use for close to fifteen years now, my grandma's washer for over ten before we sold it to some college kids

with only light maintenace, never had to replace any big parts

>Yeah Miele is overpriced, but they are built like tanks
Maybe the old ones

what fluids and brake pads you have to replace?

Faggots saying how their washers are going strong for 15 years just don't get that planned obsolescence became more prevalent after that time.

Speed Queen toploader

Welcome to USA

speedqueen.com/

I rent, and I always get the shitty top loading machines that spend fucktons of electricity heating fucktons of water.

The apartment people save $50 per installed unit, and the $200 extra spent yearly on water and power come out of my utility fees

gas is superior

Some buyer tips:

Miele lasts twice as long as other big brands but is also twice the price.
Personally, I rather have a fresh clean washer with modern features and improved efficiency every 15 years than have one that lasts 30 years.

Best budget brand is Zanussi.
It's owned by Electrolux which also owns AEG and many of the components used are identical.
It's essentially AEG build quality at half the price.

Within a brand range, more expensive models come with more features and fancier interfaces.
But they don't last longer or wash any cleaner.
Sticking with the base model is best value for money. - buy a higher quality brand instead, if you want to spend more.

My guess is Miele's and Siemenses (my precious) are just too expensive after import and you can't really drive them around to show off like a Mercedes, so there's little demand.

it's not worth it. especially if you're here temporarily for work or school. if you're immigrating and plan on staying in one house for 20+ years, then sure maybe investing in a german made appliance might be worth considering but if you're just here for a couple years then you're just throwing your money away

>automatically figure out the wash size

You should always wash a full load.
It causes far less vibrations and wastes less energy.

If you run out of clean clothes just buy some more - it's cheaper on the long run and you look less like a sperg not wearing the same stuff every week.

>dispense the correct detergent, etc. All you did was throw the clothes in and hit start.

I am curious how it does that.
Does it have a camera to figure out if it's whites or colored?
How will it tell the difference between cotton bed sheets and silk shirts?

A real pro washes his bed sheets at 95 degrees C.
Not to get rid of the cum stains, mind you, but to kill fungus/bacteria in the machine (you could also do an empty run every month or so, but might as well wash something that can take the heat).

That's some good advice, rare sight on Sup Forums

True, interface is made for women after all.

Top loaders are American crap. First time i saw a top loader was in Canada at age 26.

t europoor

On to the subject of dishwashers.

I seriously hope Sup Forums doesn't use these?
You Sup Forumsuys do apply powder, shine and salt separately....right?
And you all remembered to program in the correct salt amount based on your water mineral content?

...or are you really a bunch of normies?

I have some more:

Always leave your washing machine open when you're done.
And use powder rather than liquid detergents.

This prevents bacteria growth and bad smells.

Miele literally last forever with simple maintenance.
>modern features
>washing machines
Like what? I had 30 year old Mieles in my previous building and now I have new ones and there's literally no difference in wash quality.

So I know quite a few people who have had Kenmore Elite front loading washer/dryer combos for years (myself included). And they hold up very well. I've seen speed queen and miele in homes, and the controls on these are much easier to understand than the Kenmore.

Things to consider...

Top vs Front load: Top loaders are easier for tall people and more reliable over time due to the orientation of the motor.

Also worth noting is if you have kids -- the top loaders usually have controls way out of reach. The front loaders have the controls up front and all the child-lock features I've seen are absolutely worthless because they don't lock the power button...the engineers programming these are not sharp lads/gals....

And the best machines I've seen are in Japan, they're top loading washer/dryer combos with super quiet motors, ionizing dryers, and gray water pumps, but they cost a couple grand and only work on 100VAC so you would need a very big transformer to run one in your home after you paid $1000 to have it shipped over.

>mfw americans use a dryer in the summer instead of hanging their clothes outside

you can't possibly understand bliss until you smell clothes that have been dried in fresh air :)

Pro-tip: if you use powder buy smaller packs in bulk. Large cartons of the exact same brand/type have it severely diluted, so you end up paying more for the same amount of active detergent. This is valid for Europe and America.

where I live they would smell like benzine and shit

>Gas powered washer
Well that'll get the dirt out.

What's the point of dishwashers? You still have to remove most of the leftovers manually before loading, so might as well wash it right away. I can't see how they're useful unless you're throwing grand dinners every other day.

>What's the point of dishwashers?

Originally they were invented to avoid breaking crockery.
But they also save time and use less energy.
And they are like $250, so why not get one?

>You still have to remove most of the leftovers manually before loading

Just the big chunks.
And only if you don't want to empty the filter after each run, it makes no difference to the wash.

Besides, you have to do the same thing before washing by hand.

So a battery powered Samsung washer would be a bad idea then?

Washing machines are simple ass devices, it is any wonder how a company can fuck something like that up.

its a drum that fills with water and then tumbles clothes around, drains the water and spins fast.

thats 1 motor to spin the drum and another motor to pump the water out ?

You can find models from 2k to 4k so I'm not sure I believe you.

>save time and use less energy.
They don't save any time unless you have a shitload to wash and manual washing up uses no electrical energy at all.
>Besides, you have to do the same thing before washing by hand.
That's my point. If I'm going to meddle with dishes at the sink anyways might as well just quickly wipe them with a sponge and be done with it instead of loading/unloading and all that.

There are a lot of vibrations and stresses.
It has to be build well to last thousands of washes.

If it's just you or your spouse you don't really need a dishwasher. It's almost faster to wash them by hand. If you have a family though they're pretty damn nice. A lot of newer houses have 2 dishwashers and I've been in houses with 5.

Dishwashers get a lot hotter than your hands can handle which sanitizes shit better.

I have a Samsung washer/dryer set and I love them.

You won't when they break in 2 years or flood your house. Mine have been good but I've heard some bad things.

>Miele
>quality
Fuck off. Go with speed queen if you want an actual good washer and dryer that will probably last longer than you.

I have this Bosch and it's fine, it was cheap too.

>BOSCH Classixx 2 WAB24262BY, 6kg, 1200rpm, A+++

>They don't save any time unless you have a shitload to wash
I only run the machine once or twice a week.
It takes literal seconds to drop leftovers into the bin and place everything in the washer.
Washing by hand daily ads up.

>manual washing up uses no electrical energy at all.
It uses gas to heat the water.

>wipe them with a sponge
I hope you're a little more rigorous than that.
I also seriously hope you replace that sponge daily.

>It has to be build well to last thousands of washes.
all those extra bullshit functions and electronics are what will break first.

a good quality heavy duty motor will out last all that other shit.

I've got a pretty plain whirlpool model and my only issue with it was when someone washed something they shouldn't have and clogged up the water pump.

I removed the lower cover, cleared out the blockage myself, reconnected everything and it worked fine since.

>A lot of newer houses have 2 dishwashers

I want that:
One to load and one to use as a kitchen cabinet.

No more moving stuff from the washer to the cabinets.

>I've been in houses with 5.

I think that's a bit excessive.

>reference quality high-end washers are bad mkay
>buy toploading low-cost shit on pre-war designs mkay
Stop being poor, my dude.

A lot of wine snobs have one by their cellar and use it just for wine glasses and shit.

The engine is fixed using a system of weights, some are made of concrete slabs, actually. They're really stable, they have no chance of breaking.

It's not that complicated. The basic mechanism is quite simple.

Wait....they don't realize you should preferably store wine in a cellar but can drink it anywhere?

The very fact you need heavy weights at all say a lot about the forces involved.

btw: heard there is now a washer that uses water tanks for weights rather than concrete.
Makes it a lot easier to transport.
Seems so obvious.

>It takes literal seconds to drop
It also takes literal seconds to wash 2-4 dishes by hand if you do it right away instead of letting them sit for a week and get crusty.
>It uses gas to heat the water
Gas is significantly cheaper than electricity.
>I hope you're a little more rigorous than that.
Again, you don't need to be rigorous if you don't let dirty dishes sit and dry out.
>I also seriously hope you replace that sponge daily.
I don't have that autistic brand of all-american germophobia, so a rinse and a change every 2-3 of weeks is more than enough.

>The engine is fixed using a system of weights, some are made of concrete slabs, actually

what are you talking about ?
its also not a fucking engine either, engine implies some combustion is going that powers it.

>putting thin as paper handcrafted crystal glasses in a washer
lol no

>all engines are ICE
>engine
>NOUN
>1. A machine with moving parts that converts power into motion.
top yourself retard

Some concrete slabs are mounted on top of the drum-engine assembly to keep it in place. (see pic)

> engine implies some combustion
It's an electrical engine.

Please faggots, no one in common English calls this an engine / electrical engine

>I don't have that autistic brand of all-american germophobia, so a rinse and a change every 2-3 of weeks is more than enough.

Bacteria split roughly every 20 minutes in a nice wet environment.
So in days you have billions and billions, let alone in weeks.

And then you so spread them over your dishes.
Great job.

....I'm sticking with my dishwasher.

Oh, well my technical English is pretty basic. Couldn't tell what's the difference between an engine and a motor.

M O T O R you fucking brainlet

I guess they don't want food tastes on their wine glasses? Dunno beats me. Wine people are weird.

So is it true that many households in America don't own a washing machine at all? Or is that just a silly rumor I have heard?

Does anyone else here just air dry? I have a dryer but I prefer air drying to save costs and most importantly, NO WRINKLES and static.

>All the dryers here look like cheap china plastic shit.
>Should I just import something?
lol hurp durp

>NO WRINKLES
>it's a retard doesn't iron and looks like a hobo episode

>worked without a flaw for 12 years.
Does anyone else get sick of their parents or grandparents saying how long their washer, fridge, dryer, oven, hot water heater, furnace, couch, etc has lasted and the new stuff doesn't?

No. Pretty much every house has a washer and dryer. The only people who don't are people that live in small older apartments. They have to go to a laundromat.

Is it true that most Europeans have their washer/dryer in the kitchen? Gross.

My clothesline broke unfortunately

>DAE PARENTS SUCK
>literally a 9gag post
Get out.
>getting angry at people pointing out objective and sad reality
Also kys youreselv.

>most Europeans have their washer/dryer in the kitchen
No. It's common is Khruschevka commieblocks in Russia/former USSR, where there's literally no place to put it elsewhere.

WASHING MACHINES GENERAL

front loader speedqueen /thread

Good thread, I'm buying a new set sometime in the next couple months.

I'm thinking of getting a Speed Queen for the washer. Once you use one you'll never go back. Being able to control the cycle and watch how dirty the rinse water is is amazing. Most washers never actually get your clothes that clean. With a Speed Queen you can rinse as many times as you like (all cycles are manually activated) and they are mechanically simple enough to fix yourself, it's all gears and springs and relays and stuff.

So what do Sup Forums, get the old-school Speed Queen or some new thing? Only downside of the Speed Queen is that, as I said, the cycles are manually activated so you can't just press one button and have it finish the whole wash.

Up at my cabin I have a Frigidaire from the 1930s that still keeps everything perfectly cold, the freezer doesn't ice up, and it uses a very small amount of power. I bet the circuitry is less efficient but the sheer bulk of the unit and amount of insulation makes it even more energy efficient than a new unit.

It's one of those killer fridges though with the door latch.

or in the bathroom like a chinaman

>and it uses a very small amount of power. I bet the circuitry is less efficient but the sheer bulk of the unit and amount of insulation makes it even more energy efficient than a new unit.

Do you have proof of this? A kill-a-watt meter or something?

Yeah, I can't remember the exact numbers now, but I did the math a couple years ago. We have a couple of buildings, but when we aren't there the only appliances left on are fridges, and i moved all the shit from one to the other and compared power usage over a several month span. I was shocked to see that the old one beat the new one, which was performing to specs as per its energy star energy guide yellow sticker.

I'm a ham but I'm cheap and didn't have a Kill-O-Watt at the time, but I do now. I intend to try this out again later.

Both appliances were completely full when tested, it might be less efficient empty of course.

they use them to sterilize their dildoes and other nasty stuffs

>he doesn't thoroughly rinse his wet warm soapy sponge before and after each use, mutiple times a day
>he's worried about the bacteria which was on his plate and the food he just ate being on a sponge
top kek.

>not using a copper sponge receptacle so that the copper kills off the bacteria naturally
pleb

AEG masterrace reporting in. Pretty sure they sell in the US.

Mine are metal. I purchased them from a place that takes old shit, and restores and revamps them. I got the set for 300 bucks.