Are internet privacy and security impossible nowadays and everyone who would say "yes...

Are internet privacy and security impossible nowadays and everyone who would say "yes, they're possible" is just spouting memes?

Other urls found in this thread:

panopticlick.eff.org/about#browser-fingerprinting
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You will understand that It's impossible once you learn how the internet (and networking) works. But you can definately make yourself harder to track by using tor, i2p, etc.

Learn about networking, friend.

Yes it is impossible, your ISP knows everything about you and your hardware (everything has a unique ID) is associated with everything you do online, so let's say you make two email accounts using the same hardware, they're both associated with each other and you. Let's say you make two email accounts with the same ISP, they're both associated with each other and you.

Just be a good citizen and don't worry about it

it's only possible if you access it from a remote location (not your home), also under different name and so on
yes it still means you don't have privacy and security, but your true identity is practically invulnerable

>Just be a good citizen and don't worry about it
Isn't that "If you aren't doing anything illegal, what do you have to hide?" reasoning and isn't that reasoning usually mocked?

I think he mean that more along the lines of just make sensible decisions since everything you do online, even under a false username etc is directly linked back to you.

So disregard because he's wrong about any of those working to any degree?

The thing is, no matter what you use your hardware is always associated with you, any website you visit can see the unique device ID of all of your hardware, which is an easy way of identifying someone.

Once again, just be sensible and use common sense.

>Just be a good citizen and don't worry about it
>Once again, just be sensible and use common sense.
I have a better idea, how about the CIA niggers just fuck off and stop spying on us.

It's possible, but short of stealing laptops to use on public networks and discarding them when you're done, nah, you're basically fucked.

yes if you're a third world poorfag and no one gives a shit about you

The only way to win back privacy would be to do it through laws & legislation.
Many of the privacy programs posted on here are either out-dated so they aren't protecting you well enough, cause major problems in whatever they're used on (such as crashes or sites not loading properly), or do exactly what they say they protect you from.
Because of this, it is hard to convince anyone that didn't care that much about their privacy to install them as it would just be more of a nuisance than something that helped them.
Even if we did somehow manage to get a vast array of people using said programs, there are so many ways that you can be tracked / traced that it would be almost impossible to stop them.
Even putting more privacy related things on your browser makes it easier to tracked / traced, check panopticlick.eff.org/about#browser-fingerprinting for information on this.
Basically, fighting for privacy on the web through programs and other programs is like trying to push a boulder up a hill, except in this case you're in a wheelchair trying to push it up a hill and from time-to-time somebody comes by and drops more boulders / rocks on top of the one you're pushing.

>any website you visit can see the unique device ID of all of your hardware, which is an easy way of identifying someone.
What sorcery is this? Why my proxy is working fine with sites that restrict their content viewed in my country?

It wouldn't be cost effective for streaming sites to go to hardware UID level security precautions since the vast majority of people who stream content don't even know what a proxy is. Very few sites will use hardware UID's to identify users but the capability is always there for them to do so.

Just because it's possible to access the information doesn't mean they do or they will.

If some dude walked up to you working at Starbucks or something and said his name was Dan, would you care if he was actually a Steve?

I mean, you could card him. In the case of a proxy and/or other privacy measure thing he might have a fake ID. Someone who knows what to look for or who to call might be able to see it's fake, and the dude's fingerprints are on file if you steal his cup out of the trash when he leaves because you NEED TO KNOW.

Or, you can just give 'Dan' his coffee.

Think of it like this: there are cameras on almost every stoplight in America, and satcams all over the nation that can easily determine the location and velocity of every car. People still routinely get away with speeding.

If you exist on the internet, you can be hacked or tracked, period. It's also technically possible, but extremely unlikely, to drown in a teaspoon of water. The only way to 100% guarantee you won't get hacked is to avoid computers altogether.

Very well said, I wouldn't encourage leaving technology completely, just be a normal person and proceed as usual.

You can proceed now, citizen

Thanks, and I agree. Tech is great, has done many good things for the world.

Personally, I think this is the whole 'plane crash' logic thing. Plane crashes are horrific, and pretty much nobody ever survives one. If you're on a plane, there's nothing you can do to lower your odds of a plane crash.

But, statistically, how many planes actually crash, though? Life's fine, nobody's after your shit, and Big Brother isn't actually watching you.

>Big Brother isn't actually watching you
Wow really? Thanks for the reassurance friend, I know it must be true because someone on Sup Forums (who definitely isn't working for the gov.) said so. It's not like it's already been proven or anything.

>and Big Brother isn't actually watching you.
Yet.

Also, if it's not that big a deal, why is everyone so obsessed with Goolag and tape over webcams and Amazon Echo eavesdropping on you and your family?

It's possible. GNUnet, i2p, freenet and Tor are good examples. Just take the power away from ISPs and make things distributed and encrypted. ISPs shouldn't exist desu.

IPFS really needs an user network.
It would be perfect if only...

Oh no, sarcasm. My only weakness.

Oh there's definitely room for exploitation, and far more potential for some straight skynet shit in the future.

The thing is that half the people panicking over this shit don't actually fully understand the problem. I say half deliberately, some people DO and are exactly the right level of concerned.

The webcam thing is a perfect example. If you tape over it, it can't spy on you. Same thing with unplugging it. but who the hell is spying in the first place? How many, who, when? I have a laptop with a camera, nobody's even tried to access that shit. The problem DOES exist, but it's not as widespread as people seem to think.

>Tor
What about all that "lol nice try fbi" memeing?

They own a lot of exit nodes. Even if you connect to one of them you wouldn't be easy to track unless you enable js. But it's definitely an inferior option to GNUnet and similar networks which would work like torrenting sites.

There's a lot I need to learn about the glories of open source software