So I finally have enough money to upgrade my really old pc setup. Here's what I'm trying to figure out though...

So I finally have enough money to upgrade my really old pc setup. Here's what I'm trying to figure out though, in the age of 1440p, 4k and vr, how expensive of a card do I need if my only goal is playing all current and slightly future games at 1080 p on at least high (hopefully ultra)?

My current setup is a i5 3570k, gtx 670 and 16 gb ram, ancient I know.

After a small amount of preliminary research I was thinking of getting the i5 7600k, a new motherboard (kinda lost on this one, but the GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X seems decent enough and can do what I need, but would be open to suggestions here for good but affordable motherboards) and a 1050ti, 1060 or 1070 gpu.

the 1050 is so affordable and still has double my current vram, and the 1070 is so expensive but seems like it'd last me quite a while.

Also is 16gb enough these days? I upgraded to that a while back since it was cheaper.

Open to suggestions on cpu as well if anyone thinks I'm aiming too high or low for my needs on that.

tldr: upgrading pc, getting motherboard, cpu and gpu, what do I need to be able to play current and somewhat future games on high/ultra 1080p.

thanks in advance guys

Other urls found in this thread:

overclock.net/t/1198504/complete-overclocking-guide-sandy-bridge-ivy-bridge-asrock-edition
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bump

>Gayming

>CPU
Get the I5 8600k coming out next month.
>Motherboard
Z370 is just rebrand of Z270. Research Z270 boards and get the Z370 version you like.
>GPU
Due to cryptotards everything below a 1080 is a bad value. Buy the cheapest non-blower 1080 you can get for 1080p max.
>RAM
16 gigs is all you need for gaming for a long time.

1060 is good enough for 1080p gayming on high/ultra settings. Try to find a cheap one on eBay and Craigslist (don't get the single fan versions). EVGA usually has B-Stock sales for refurbished 1060s, and I got one for $229 weeks ago. The condition is good when I revived it. If you're getting a CPU now, Ryzen 5 1600 is a perfect buy. Coffee Lake is coming out in Nov/Dec this year, but it won't support your mobo since it's a different socket. You'll have to wait for benchmarks to make a decision.

Because I should trust those console plebs on my pc (otherwise known as technology therefore Sup Forums) decisions?

will the 8600k not be much more expensive than the 7600k is currently? Really not looking to spend more than 300 on a processor.

will look into the z370 boards.

no idea exactly what you meant about gpus, cryptotards? non blower? Sorry for my stupidity.

Glad to hear the 1060 should be good, will save me a lot of money, I don't have a lot of knowledge for pc components (just enough to put my original pc together and have not been a total idiot about it) so I don't know anything really beyond the intel cards, I'll try looking into the cards you mentioned and a decent mobo that supports them. Is the i5 7600k a bad value, not good enough for what I want it to do or way too much for what I want it to do? Because honestly if it fills those 3 points I think I'll be pretty satisfied with it, but I am definitely open to other suggestions.

thanks for the responses fellas.

I actually just realized I forgot to mention something pretty important, so my bad on that one. I'm hoping to manage to not spend more than about 800 bucks here, would be best if it was about 600.

If you have to upgrade now do one of the following.

GTX 1080 and a 1440p, 144hz, 24-27"

GTX 1080ti 4k, 60hz, 24-32"

Tho if you wait we are scheduled to get 144hz 4k monitors early 2018 and volta and navi should be able to begin pushing that high on most games tho perhaps not at max settings.

Troll? Read the thread man, not looking for 4k, 1440 or 144hz, just looking to game at 1080p for a good while. I have about 800 bucks to spend tops right now. I'll look into 1440 and 4k when I want to spend 2k plus on a pc. But not now.

a 1060, RX 580, or maybe even a 1070 is what you want. Can you overclock your CPU at all? If so, I'd go up at least 500MHz.

If you can get some overclocking in, get the 1070.

I'm sure I could, I just don't know how, but I could likely figure it out through research. I just don't want to get the 1070 if I don't have to, if the 1060 can handle any current game on high/ultra at 1080p and should be able to do so for a while, I'll be more than happy with that.

Just change your gpu, your cpu is fine for gaming.

t. no games linux babby

really? no need for an upgrade at all? thats suprising its like 4 years old. Has gaming become that gpu heavy?

Take this to /pcbg/ and read the sticky
Also don't get an i5

Meant to say read the OP. Too much time on /fit/ lol

Thanks, I read it, so that settles it, I'm getting the 1060 6gb. Now I just need to figure out what cpu/motherboard I'm going to get or apparently if I'm going to get one at all.

If you can OC to 4.0/4.4/4.5ghz you don't need to buy a new cpu. They still give decent performance enough for 1080p
What's your actual motherboard and cooling ?

I have a hyper212 but it broke so I'm using a stock cooler, but if I could save the 500 dollars I'd be spending on a new cpu/mobo I certainly wouldn't mind spending the money to get a better cooler, motherboard is a cheapy replacement (I think) I bought when my old one broke.

It's an ASRock z75 pro3

>if the 1060 can handle any current game on high/ultra at 1080p and should be able to do so for a while
It can't. It will run most games on high / ultra at 1080p but not all of them.

Would it at least be able to run everything on medium for a good while? I've become less of a videophile the more I've been a pc gamer as I've realized just how stupid good games tend to look even on medium. So if the 1060 can at least perform pretty well for a good while it might be worth the 200 dollar difference between it and the 1070.

I'll think on it more, thanks for the info.

Which games are you referring to? PUBG? Because that game is horribly optimized.

Yeah just for the record I'm not at all expecting to play pubg on ultra lol. Just hoping to get to the point where I don't get pastel, unenterable buildings for the first minute of a game and don't get the huge, hardware caused lag spikes that I currently get.

>Would it at least be able to run everything on medium for a good while?
Yes

GTA V, Quantum Break, Dishonored 2, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Dying Light if you use Nvidia PCSS

All of those games though will run fine with a few settings turned down (well aside from Quantum Break)

What about newer games? I can actually play most of those games on medium, sometimes high already somehow, but I'm used to consoles so there's probably some fps/tear issues I'm not noticing.

Thanks, this was really helpful. Now just to find out whether I need a new cpu/mobo or not.

Sorry, when I say newer, I meant games that will come out in the next year or two, should I be good to go with most of those on medium to possibly high with the 1060?

I would assume new games are only going to become more demanding with the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X on the market.

But surely it should be able to pull medium for the upcoming future no? Hmm if not just maybe it would be worth going for the 1070, I'll have to think more on it.

Sure, I think the 1060 is fine especially if it's got a good cooler as you can always overclock and get extra performance for free. Most of these AIB cards have way bigger coolers than are necessary for running at stock clocks.

>i5
>gtx 670
>old

Nigga I have a ryzen 1600, geforce 1060 (3gb version) and 16gb ram. It works perfectly fine at 1080p with anything I throw at it. I'm actually surprised you're not just considering upgrading your card and being done with it. I upgraded from a phenom II from 2009 and I reckon the old thing could actually still be very much powerful nowadays, but I had to give that pc to my dad because his (even older) pc died.
Just get a new card you money wasting nigger

To be fair there's always some games every gen that run like shit even on good hardware. My old 4870 was one of the best cards back in the day, yet some games released on 2008 had trouble on it on high. My new pc has a 1060 and Doom runs at 60+ fps on ultra. A lot of fuckers can't optimize for shit and there's no piece of (reasonably priced) hardware that can make up for it.

I really need to learn to overclock, I've always been so afraid that I'll end up frying the component or something.

If I were to take what I'm assuming is your advice and OC my cpu what cooler would I need for that? Also any guides on how to OC safely and (hopefully) easy.

Also, which aftermarket 1060 would be best?

Too much time on Sup Forums bro, pretty sure I've made it obvious that I'm pretty ignorant on the subject and looking for any suggestions available.

I'm definitely considering just upgrading gpu now that I know its viable for what I want. I just don't want to not upgrade cpu now, have it be completely outdated in a year, and not have the money at that time to upgrade. Right now I'm able to, so I kind of want to get something that will really last.

But yeah I'm definitely considering just upgrading gpu now, my bigger worry is that I believe my mobo is pretty damn cheap (I posted the model earlier in the thread) isn't up to snuff to handle a 1060 or that its just cheap overall.

Also I made this pc 4+ years ago, to me that's kind of old, especially considering how quickly PC gaming seems to move along.

Right, Quantum Break is one of those games. I have an overclocked 1080Ti and I couldn't get 60fps at 1440p, at 1080p I was able to. It has an extremely sophisticated realtime global illumination system but it still runs a lot worse than it should.

Some of the other games I mentioned (aside from maybe Dishonored 2) have really stupid ultra settings like hairworks.

>I really need to learn to overclock, I've always been so afraid that I'll end up frying the component or something.
It's crazy easy, just download MSI Afterburner / EVGA XOC and add 100MHz to core and memory offset. You can't break anything really, even if you increase the voltage as the software doesn't let you increase voltage very much.

I overclock all my cards regardless because it's extra performance for free. I increased my 1080Ti clock speed by 100MHz just for the hell of it.

go to pcpartpicker and "build" your current pc, and try to put new cards in it. If there's any problem it will show up. Also, pc gaming isn't moving too quickly to be honest, the only real reason that I had to upgrade my old rig is the lack of directx 11 / 12 support.

Reminds me of metro 2033 and to some other extent, Dark Souls (bad performance but different reasons).
Space Engineers takes up 4gb of ram while leaving a planet on Medium voxel settings, but 14+gb when using High settings.
Like, shit, dude.

What kind of cooling would I need though? As I stated I'm using the stock heatsink and fan at the moment due to my hyper212 breaking a while back.

Its not so much that I'm worried about direct compatability issues, more that the 1060 is still a bit of a beast and the mobo is older and very cheap. Idk man I don't know much generally but I really don't know shit about mobos lol.

>Reminds me of metro 2033 and to some other extent
That's another one that's ridiculous, I wasn't able to get 60fps at 1440p on my 1070 but when I replaced it with a 1080Ti I was able to. I'm pretty sure it's because their "AAA anti-aliasing" uses supersampling.

for your graphics card whatever comes with it, if you buy a model like pic related should enable you to easily overclock. Plus with the modern OC software, you can always adjust your fan curve.

The card does not take up power from the motherboard (except when it does, but those are generally the budget cards). You need to worry about the PSU that you currently have, should use a 700/750W one to be safe.
Also, if you wanna worry about something, worry about the dimensions of the card relative to your case and mobo parts placement (very cheap mobos have shit capacitor, parts, etc placement, so placing the card is a pain in the ass).
So alternatively just buy the damn GPU, then if it doesn't fit get the rest of the pc. You will need a decent card if you want to run stuff on high, so sooner or later you'll have to buy it. Ergo, buy the card, try in your old pc, if it doesn't fit or something then just get a new one and put it in there

What about for cpu overclocking? Apologies I may be mixing you up with someone else, but the main issue I'm having deciding right now is whether or not I need to get a new cpu/mobo or whether my current one is good enough and I just need to get better cooling for my cpu and OC it.

Just for a reminder, the hope is to run 1080p gaming at hopefully high/ultra (but medium is acceptable) for all current games and hopefully for the next year (maybe 2) with the 1060.

Crap I forgot to respond to you in the last post.

Luckily I WAY WAY overbought my psu when originally built my PC (bought 850w lmao) so I'm good there, yes the card fitting is also definitely something I'm worried about.

The rest sounds like sound advice.

going to do one last bump to maybe see if I can get one or two last helpful answers (still need to know for sure if OCing my cpu will make it able to be capable of my wishes and what cooling I'd need to OC it).

If nothing I'll let the thread die.

It's pretty easy, your stock cooler will probably let you overclock a little bit but you can get a good aftermarket cooler for $25-30.

overclock.net/t/1198504/complete-overclocking-guide-sandy-bridge-ivy-bridge-asrock-edition

Yeah pretty much what I was thinking of doing was just wondering if I could without having to wait.

Still wondering if my OC'ed cpu will handle the things I mentioned though.

Depends how far you overclock it. If you get it to 4.2GHz I find it hard to believe that there will be a current game that it can't hit 60fps at aside from some really buggy shit.

I really don't know a whole lot about it so I'd probably just go with the highest I could get safely/easily. This has all been very enlightening.

I think what I'll likely end up doing at this point is just buying the 1060 and a much better cooler for my cpu and OCing it then seeing how that improves my performance (mainly just want to run newer games on high smooth and quit getting lag spikes and pastel building starts on pubg).

I never would have thought that I could have upgraded my 4+ year old pc to todays level for 300 bucks.

The 1060 is a great choice for 1080p and I wouldn't upgrade the 3570K. Use that money to get an SSD for general snappiness instead.

Thanks, that lays it out pretty clearly, but I'm just looking for a more definitive response on one point. Should my 3570k have no issues running current/ near future (year or two) games on at least medium (hopefully high/ultra)? Particularly if I OC it?

Current plan is to buy just the video card and better cooling for cpu to OC, try that and then if/when its not good enough upgrade. But I just want to make sure I'm not wasting time by not just getting it now.