/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: (Dead)

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/xnb_eFSnXFI
theregister.co.uk/2001/06/02/ballmer_linux_is_a_cancer/
theregister.co.uk/2000/07/31/ms_ballmer_linux_is_communism/
youtube.com/watch?v=q9mXyakv2i8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Uninstall GuixSD
Install Gentoo

I wanna deep throat Stallman's cock

It's time to face the facts. Richard Stallman is nothing more than a whining, overly obese autistic manbaby who has not done anything beneficial for the computing OR technology world in the past 20 years. Seriously. Name something that RMS has done after 1995 besides bitching, crying, and moaning about bullshit that does not matter, or making some retarded, incomprehensible speech.

He demands that Linux be called GNU/Linux. That is fucking insane. The only reason GNU, GPL, and FSF are still a THING is because of Linus and the invention of Linux. If anything, Stallman should rename GNU to Linux/GNU, because without Linus, the GNU, GPL, and FSF would not be a thing anymore.

Stallman still has the fucking gonads to act like he's superior to everyone else. Saying shit such as "I'm not glad he's dead, but I'm glad he's gone" right after Steve Jobs' death. What an asshole. Stallman has not even programmed a single line of code since 2008, that was AFTER he essentially stopped in 1992.

He should be fucking grateful Linus stepped in to save his ass, and even allowing him to take partial credit for his achievements. If it wasn't for Linus, he would be nothing, he would probably be dead in a Burger King dumpster right now.

Besides, what has he ever even done? He claims to have written eMacs, but in reality he actually cloned gosmacs (the first eMacs that was made for UNIX). He didn't even write 50% of the code in eMacs.

You might say he wrote GCC and GDB, but the truth is that he initally wrote the C compiler, but now the vast majority for the same compiler is done by contributors.

He's a washed up, morbidly obese man who tries to stay relevant by having these retarded arguments that are similar to those found in the Soviet Union. Face it GNU/Freetards, Richard Stallman is a fat dickhead, and the only reason his name is still in the books is because of Linus's achievements.

You're not alone.

new pasta?

Uninstall Gentoo
Install Alpine

Uninstall Alpine
Install Void

Uninstall Void
Install OpenBSD

Uninstall OpenBSD
Install NetBSD

Uninstall NetBSD
Install FreeBSD

Uninstall FreeBSD
Install AIX

Are you sad your /flt/ threads died? Without RMS we wouldn't have GNU/Linux. He fights for our freedoms as developers and as consumers. Fuck you.

Uninstall AIX
Install DragonflyBSD

What's the FLOSS equivalent to google translate?

Fake, Linus is clearly photoshopped in that pic

Uninstall DragonflyBSD
Install Solaris

Without RMS we wouldn't have GNU, but we would still have Linux. Prove me wrong.

Uninstall Solaris
Install Slackware

It's time to face the facts. Linus Torvalds is nothing more than a whining, overly obese autistic manbaby who has not done anything beneficial for the computing OR technology world in the past 20 years. Seriously. Name something that Torvalds has done after 1991 besides bitching, crying, and moaning about bullshit that does not matter, or making some retarded, incomprehensible blogpost on Google+.

He demands that GNU/Linux be called Linux. That is fucking insane. The only reason Linux is even a THING is because of RMS and the Free Software movement. If anything, Linus should rename Linux to The GNU kernel, because this is the most common system where Linux is installed.

Linus still has the fucking gonads to act like he's superior to everyone else. Saying shit such as "My name is Linus Torvalds and I am your god." or "I hope you all die a painful death." What an asshole. Linus wrote like the first 2 percent of Linux, everything else was developed by the community.

He should be fucking grateful RMS stepped in to save his ass, and even allowing him to take partial credit for his achievements. If it wasn't for the GPL, he would be nothing, Linux would probably still sit on some FTP, being proprietary.

Besides, what has he ever even done? He claims to have written Linux, but in reality he actually cloned Minix (created by Andrew S. Tanenbaum for educational purpose). He didn't even write 2% of the code in Linux.

You might say he wrote Linux and Git, but the truth is that he initally wrote the some lines for Linux, but now the vast majority for the same kernel is done by contributors.

He's a washed up, morbidly obese man who tries to stay relevant by having these retarded arguments that are similar to those found in Silicon Valley. Face it Linuxers, Linus is a beardless man, and the only reason his name is still in the books is because of Stallman's achievements.

Uninstall Slackware
Install QNX

>cloned MINIX
You know that MINIX is a microkernel and Linux is a monolithic kernel, right? That means they couldn't share any code.

I know... sadly the only time they were seen together was in some Linux event where the FSF was awarded the Linux award or something. They were at the same stage when RMS got the award and went on to preach the crowd about saying GNU/Linux and saying that the award was like giving the Han Solo Award to the Rebel Fleet... youtu.be/xnb_eFSnXFI

s/cloned/got most ideas of/
Wrote it while drunk.

It's fine. This guy is propbably 15 years old.

Please avoid using the term “photoshop” as a verb, meaning any kind of photo manipulation or image editing in general. Photoshop is just the name of one particular image editing program, which should be avoided since it is proprietary. There are plenty of free programs for editing images, such as the GIMP.

You can't really steal ideas from a microkernel and use it to design a monolithic kernel. They are completely different things.

>t. butthurt gnubaby

>linus
>overly obese

speaking of GIMP, currently learning it and on my road I found a pretty amazing plugin calle "g'mic". Works in GIMP and as cli utility like ImageMagick. Pretty amazing filters and shit right there.
/shill blog

It's time to face the facts. Richard Stallman is nothing more than a whining, overly obese autistic manbaby who has not done anything beneficial for the computing OR technology world in the past 20 years. Seriously. Name something that RMS has done after 1995 besides bitching, crying, and moaning about bullshit that does not matter, or making some retarded, incomprehensible speech.

He demands that Linux be called GNU/Linux. That is fucking insane. The only reason GNU, GPL, and FSF are still a THING is because of Linus and the invention of Linux. If anything, Stallman should rename GNU to Linux/GNU, because without Linus, the GNU, GPL, and FSF would not be a thing anymore.

Stallman still has the fucking gonads to act like he's superior to everyone else. Saying shit such as "I'm not glad he's dead, but I'm glad he's gone" right after Steve Jobs' death. What an asshole. Stallman has not even programmed a single line of code since 2008, that was AFTER he essentially stopped in 1992.

He should be fucking grateful Linus stepped in to save his ass, and even allowing him to take partial credit for his achievements. If it wasn't for Linus, he would be nothing, he would probably be dead in a Burger King dumpster right now.

Besides, what has he ever even done? He claims to have written eMacs, but in reality he actually cloned gosmacs (the first eMacs that was made for UNIX). He didn't even write 50% of the code in eMacs.

You might say he wrote GCC and GDB, but the truth is that he initally wrote the C compiler, but now the vast majority for the same compiler is done by contributors.

He's a washed up, morbidly obese man who tries to stay relevant by having these retarded arguments that are similar to those found in the Soviet Union. Face it GNU/Freetards, Richard Stallman is a fat dickhead, and the only reason his name is still in the books is because of Linus's achievements.

Uninstall QNX
Install Haiku

Sorry

stop shitting up this thread

Uninstall Haiku
Install BeOS

Linux is the desktop version of Android.

Linux mainline doesn't include binder or ashmem yet so you can't run dalvik on it. There are some projects (anbox and ... I don't remeber the other one) to install those missing modules on your current system via dkms though.

why do people connect linux with communism?

How can I learn more about youtube-dl?

Whats the current solution to the filepicker problem? Do I need to patch and built GTK manually? Any infos/sources/guides on this welcome.

Read the OP.

Because if it's free, it must be communism, goy.

Microsoft propaganda.
theregister.co.uk/2001/06/02/ballmer_linux_is_a_cancer/
theregister.co.uk/2000/07/31/ms_ballmer_linux_is_communism/

>Whats the current solution to the filepicker problem?
Drag-and-drop.

thats what normies do

You're the one using a gui.

At least Linux doesn't only get the love for GNU achievements, but also the hate. What Ballmer was ranting about is the concept of copyleft (cancer) and free software (communism).

there's a patch for GTK2 (check the OP pasta link), but well, it's just GTK2

How can I run a command every day at 10:00 in the morning?

>Linux doesn't only get the love for GNU achievements
ehhh?

Install Gentoo

How can I get pacman on WSL?

man cron

man cron

Try cron.

Yes. Follow this tutorial:
youtube.com/watch?v=q9mXyakv2i8

Obligatory

Is there a distro that calls daemons spirits instead?

Reminder that every time you post this pasta, someone new on this topis may search the web about RMS, GNU or the FSF and probably turn into a freetard.

You didn't answer the question! I'm very upset

>implying anyone on Sup Forums would ever read a post that long

Can confirm. Happend to me when I started browsing Sup Forums back in the days. Not that pasta, but something simliar.

I'd like to write a script that takes a folder full of .mkv containers with h265 video, extracts the video stream, reencodes it to h264, and then overwrites the original video because my set-top android box doesn't like HEVC very much.

Is this easy to do?

Linus said he was lucky to find a free operating system like GNU. without GNU he would most likely end up as an engineer for a big tech company

Uninstall BeOS
Install 9front

Yes, learn the commands to archive what you want, then learn how to loop over all files in a directory, example: for i in ./*; do echo "$i"; done. Instead of the echo, you add the command you want to run on the files.

Uninstall 9front
Install HP-UX

>./*

Why doesn't arch automatically install networkmanager with base? What's the point of an operating system with no internet?

The point of Arch Linux is to build a fragile system from ground up.

DELET

Okay Sup Forums, I want to try one of these 'declarative systems'. Which one should I choose, GuixSD or NixOS? Are there any others I should take a look at?

3 4

>Installs systemd with base
>doesn't install X or internet
what the fuck are you talking about? Arch isn't LFS

I'm getting an X1 Carbon and wanted to know what distro is the most aesthetically pleasing but also the handiest and most efficient as well as how I install it and how I am supposed to maintain it

>being a laptop shitter

literally lmaoing at ur life

What distro is the best for the x1 carbon?

networkmanager is very much not required to have functioning network.

so arch users dont annoy the internet

you can swap the desktop environments on any of them
since you're new just get ubuntu for no headache and then move into debian or whatever when you're more familiar

Whats the best distro for a (mainly) blue wallpaper?

this is incredibly esoteric

fedora, not even joking

This makes no sense. You can get any look with any desktop environment or window manager on any distro.

Why pick a distro based on its out-of-the-box look/theme that you'll be stuck with for who knows how long, instead of picking a distro you actually think you'll like and spending all of 2 minutes to change its appearance/theme to exactly what you want anyway

>Why pick a distro based on its out-of-the-box look/theme
Why not?

>Is it safe to shrink a partition that's already in use to install another partition into that shrunk space? Wanting to dualboot a Linux distro but already have a Windows installation, but I don't want to have to reinstall Windows.

Reposting my question here.

Yes of course, people do that all the time. You can even do it during the installation process of your distro.

Oh but I think it's highly recommended for you to defrag your windows install first.

I've done this before, shrank the win10 partition to create a partition sort of like /home
Just make sure your drive is not fragmented when you do this and ALWAYS backup
If you just want to try linux, the safest, most preferred way is to do it in a virtual machine

Didn't realize I could do that, thanks. Any particular distro that can do that? I'm assuming the more easier ones like Ubuntu and it's derivatives.
Yup, was planning on just using that as my /home. Thankfully I'm on Windows Botnet edition so my drive is already defragmented, so I'll give it a try. Thanks for the replies.

Uninstall HP-UX
Install Temple OS

GNU/Linux*

As far as I know they all do, just in different ways.
The most intuitive ones are probably those that use "gparted", like Ubuntu.
Should look something like pic related and you can just drag the line between partitions to resize them

Praise be

Wait, guys, I've been out of the loop: is GuixSD finished yet and ready for retards like myself to use?

r8h8 my NT(10.0)/Windows natively running a GNU/Linux GNOME Shell UI application

i set it up for reasons related to browser testing on Webkit (not chromium-blink) engine cuz Safari for winders is not available and it's shit and do weird things so i have to test on it. i know i can run GNOME Web it just fine in a wm i have, but i did this for shits an giggles, because what kind of a moron browses web in a virtual machine, right, lol