/pcbg/ PC Building General

If you want help:
>Assemble parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560 - poverty-tier builds
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R5 1400 - If you need multithreading
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use, not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 or Vega 56 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games
>Good fucking luck even getting a VEGA right now

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM, 3200 MHz is ideal

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=24-025-555&utm_source=Bluecore&utm_medium=BehEmail&utm_campaign=Post_Browsed&cm_mmc=EMCPB-092017-_-PB-_-Bluecore-_-Content&obem=Wr4qKwS7Wi7YmyQF0dCo4k06e6N6xIEPxDIsASw_z5E=
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16835103064
coolermaster.com/cooling/cooling-rgb-accessories/rgb-led-controller/
pcpartpicker.com/list/HNQyhq
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Chg3Ps
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

thinking of getting this monitor anybody know how good it is?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=24-025-555&utm_source=Bluecore&utm_medium=BehEmail&utm_campaign=Post_Browsed&cm_mmc=EMCPB-092017-_-PB-_-Bluecore-_-Content&obem=Wr4qKwS7Wi7YmyQF0dCo4k06e6N6xIEPxDIsASw_z5E=

This is in response to one of the last posts in the last thread. I'm the guy upgrading, likely getting the 1060 and deciding whether or not to upgrade cpu/mobo

>Ryzen Card

I think you may have misunderstood, Ryzen is the cpu

>Upgrade my cpu or not, should I OC? i5 3570k

Doi dude, I'm surprised you hadn't already, you already have the motherboard for it. It's free performance. All you have to do is watch one video on youtube and it's that easy. Preferably watch one using the same motherboard manufacturer as you so you can navigate the bios, then google average overclock settings for your specific cpu then adjust from there since every cpu overclocks slightly different.

my response:

Mistype, not misunderstood. Sorry I'm just got the term mixed up since we're talking both cpu and gpu. My bad.

Yeah, I'm terribly ignorant on OC, I've always been afraid I'll fry my component or something, but it seems much easier than I believed. Is my mobo really not that bad? I honestly figured it was a pos lol, I got it for so cheap when I needed an emergency replacement.

But ok, I'll do that once I get better cooling, since I'm currently using the stock heatsink and fan (my hyper 212 broke a while back). Or is it safe to do it even with stock cooling?

Also will OCing my cpu make it able to handle my wishes? which just as a reminder for the new thread are high/ultra gaming on most if not all games currently and hopefully for the next year (maybe 2? medium would be exceptable) at 1080p

Thoughts on CaseLabs cases?

I would get 29" version for that res

should the b350 carbon have a light to show it is receiving power before I turn it on?

Cute ass on the girl on the right

So I saw this build with cm storm styker and Corsair H100 should fir or did he modify the case in any way?

If I put an Nvidia GPU and AMD CPU together will the universe implode?

Figuratively everybody here does that though

>1200W PSU
>Fatal1ty
>soundcard

You sound like you know about builds but can't answer anything

Not him, but high wattage PSUs are useless. Nobody ever uses 1200w. Sound cards are also useless unless you are a professional.

Can someone recommend me a cheap cooler to use for overclocking 1150 socket cpus.

Cryorig H7 or M9i

I wouldn't OC on stock cooler.

soundcards aren't useless, but you should get an external DAC instead if you want/need a better interface

Was looking at that. But then I saw this.
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16835103064
Higher air flow and fan speed. Im kinda worried if it will fit.

Yeah I figured, could you recommend a cooler for the i5 3750k for OCing? Also would OCing said cpu along with 16gb DDR3 ram and a 1060 (gpu I'm upgrading too) be able to handle most current games on high/ultra and hopefully continue to do so for most games that come out in the next year or two (medium would be acceptable though).

>tfw put the wrong screw in and now can't take motherboard out of the case
Maybe I'm to dumb too do computers

Just ordered a 1080ti since my old card broke. Waiting for coffee lake before buying CPUs so I'm going to plug it into my 4790(not k). Would the CPU impose a bottleneck on 1080ti?

>cpu bottleneck

What are the best places to buy GPUs in Canada? Eyeing the GTX1070, just wondering if is houdl look out for any particular model or if the extra shit like the GAMING Z matters at all.

How are you all today, buildfriends?

been better. been worse. waiting for Polaris GPUs to come down to normal prices is suffering though

>just wondering if is houdl look out for any particular model or if the extra shit like the GAMING Z matters at all
if you get the gayming xd extreme rgb edition it usually just means it has a better cooler or a slightly higher clock
what brand is a personal preference, but good advice would be to check the warranty on the company

Look for temperature reviews

So since the guy who was helping me out last thread seems to have gotten off, I'm going to repost my situation

I'm upgrading, not building from scratch. I'm currently running a i5 3570k with 16 gb DDR3 ram, mobo is the ASRock Z75 pro 3, gtx670. My goal is to be able to play most if not all current games on high/ultra at 1080p and hopefully be able to keep doing it with new games for the next year or two (though medium would be acceptable). I came in thinking I'd get the i5 7600k, the 1050ti, 1060, or maybe 1070 and a mobo that supported both and is decent build quality while being affordable.

Budget is about 800, but hoping to manage to stay in the 600-700 range.

So in the last thread I've learned that the 1060 is likely adequate for what I'm looking for, or at least that the 1070 doesn't seem worth the huge price difference.

I also found out that if I get a new cpu/mobo that I need to get brand new ram too, which sucks, I also was told by several people (but still looking for more definitive answers) that if I OC my current cpu it should be able to meet the things I'm setting out for. Looking for what would be a good cooling system for my cpu as I'm currently using stock.

Also is my mobo ok to run the 1060? I really don't know much about mobo's but I'm worried just because it was a cheap one I bought as a replacement for one that broke. I was told no earlier but just want to be sure.

Any help much appreciated.

Updating case descriptions. What kind of info would you like to see? Is this good?

Is there any reason to pick B350 over A320 aside from overclocking? I was using potatoes most of my life and never bothered with OC before.

I'd honestly like the see the HAF replaced. There's a new one coming to replace it, the H500P

B350 boards also have the ability to support AMD crossfire and often have better features than the A320 boards.
Even if you're not overclocking, I'd look into the B350 boards just for the improved featureset

Just chuck the 1060 into your pcie 3.0 x16 slot

What I'm beginning to consider to do, I just prefer definitive answers, and I keep getting vague ones like this instead of someone saying 'yes your cpu will be run most anything fine for the next year or two' or something lol.

Still baffles me that my pc, which is almost 5 years old, can be brought up to play todays games on ultra for only 300 bucks.

i would add mobo compatibility (atx, micro, whatever) and how many fans you can slap onto the front top and back but is good

Guys, google has failed me.
Say I want to heavily RGB my build, and my motherboard has a built in RGB control software like Asus' Aura, or MSI's Mystic Light.
The motherboard only has 1 RGB header. Are the RGB elements of the fans controllable from the normal 4Pin fan headers, or does it NEED to be connected to the RGB header? I'm so confused right now.

Also, what's a good aftermarket cooler for my cpu? I had a hyper212 but it eventually crapped out on me, so I'm nervous about getting another, it is the best bet (its the most popular)? Or is there a better option?

Cryorig H7

>want to get a good gaming pc
>just end up getting fucking confused by all the retarded naming schemes so i don't know what is good and what is not good

it's generally simple. Higher numbers mean it's better

Budget/desired performance?

>hyper 212 crapped one me

Just get another fan? I'd say get an H7 tho

Tell that to intel and nvidia

tell us your budget, and what games you want to play, and anything else you plan to use it for. Also would be helpful to know if you have anything you want in how it looks. Window? PSU shroud? optical drive?

well now i feel retarded

im in aus, and i don't want to pay more than 1K, and i wouldn't mind being able to play WoW again

Thanks is it good for OC?

I was broke when it happened and had the stock fan so just installed it, worked fine so didn't bother. But yeah someone else suggested the same.

fans can be controlled using the 4pin
rgb strips usually are plugged into the rgb header
this is compatible with asus's aura though coolermaster.com/cooling/cooling-rgb-accessories/rgb-led-controller/

Alright.
Intel:
K-series: unlocked for overlclocking
T-series: low power consumption/lower clock speeds
Celeron: entry level basic bitch
Pentium: Same as Celeron until G4560 or better/ In which case, it's a discounted i3
i3: dual core, 4 thread. Good for entry level gaming
i5: 4 core, 4 thread. basic gaming. Completely outclassed by similarly priced AMD Ryzen 5 CPUs
i7: 4 core, 8 thread CPU for maximum FPS when gaming.

nvidia:
First 1 or 2 numbers is the series. So the current line is the 10 series.
The models go up in number to be better.
GT 1030
GTX 1050
GTX 1050 Ti
GTX 1060 3GB
GTX 1060 6GB
GTX 1070
GTX 1080
GTX 1080Ti
GTX Fury X Pascal

The build I'm looking at uses MSI's mystic lighting, and the fans say they're compatible with it (MSI B350 Tomahawk, and Cooler Master Masterfan Pro Air Pressure RGB fans)

Just get a Ryzen 5 1600 and be happy

you might be shit out of luck if you're mixing brands

pcpartpicker.com/list/HNQyhq

This translates to 1000 Aus according to google. Only thing is no hdd, but you can find those for cheap as fuck on like craigslist/gumtree. The case you can switch out, just a commonly recommended one.

If you can squeeze ~40US i'd grab the R5 1600 though.

like i said i wouldnt mind playing WoW again, i just dont know what part of these i should upgrade because im retarded when it comes to hardware

Is WOW it? That all you want to play?

i'd like to play ARK and DotA 2 as well

alright. budget? Any opinion on looks?

i don't really care about the look of it, budget-wise i'd like to spend less than $1,000 (AUS money)

what in the hell is up with that image? his girlfreind is nothing special but neither is the other bitch he would be sidegrading at best

>GTX Fury X Pascal
???

the titty xp, not to be confused with the other one

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Chg3Ps

Thanks!

thanks friendo

Going to try one more time, I have am i5 3570k, 16gb ram, ASRock z75 pro3 mobo and getting gtx 1060 gpu. If I buy the Cryorig H7 will I be able to OC my 3570k? Also once OC'ed will my cpu, along with other specs mentioned be able to handle current games (and hopefully the next year or two) on high/ultra (medium acceptable for future games) at 1080p?

Would be amazing if that ends up being the case.

I got the AMD Fury X mixed up with the nvidia Titan X Pascal.
You know what I meant though

Your OC 3570k will be good for gaming for at least 2 years. Some games can take advantage of more cores, like BF1, but that doesn't mean yours is going to do bad. Catch my drift?

If anything were to screw you out of 1080p gaming with that cpu OC it would be the gpu. 1060 will be fine for 1080p if you're unhappy with the performance 1/2 years down the line just drop settings.

Yes H7 will be good for overclocking

Are there any actual differences in performance between $100 full tower and $300 full tower cases or just memes are marketing?

No.

Maybe material and "features", any $100 case worth it's salt though is better value though.

once you get past $150, the point of cases tend to be looks over everything else. Particularly when they get over $250

Anything over 150 is a meme.

Newfag here, last I checked (which was a while ago) there was some Intel in the OP. What happened, AMD real good recently or something?

>$140 for a used GTX 1060 on Craigslist
>Image of it has the guy pressing it contacts-down into a carpet

Owls are cool

if he has a means of testing it, it'll be alright. esd protection has come a long way.

AMD pushed new products out that performs (arguably) on par with intel counterparts at lower price.

Intel preparing to launch new gen next month in response though

Ah, thanks for the info.

Anything under $150 is poorfag-tier and that's the truth.

If you're so stupid that you think a workstation that retalied at about $3000 new would skimp on something as important as the PSU or refuse to do your own research when buying products then this method is obviously not for you, dipshit

I'm using a Thinkpad with a 500GB SSD as the only storage in it right now, will I run into any problems if I take that SSD and just put it in a desktop I plan on buying if I'm going to run Windows 10 unactivated or do I need to move my files to a different HDD, wipe it and move them back after setting up Windows? From what I've heard you mostly run into problems with the Windows license and things like that if you take a hard drive from one PC and put it in another.

>yfw you successfully built and upgraded a new system without a hitch

FEELS GOOD MAN

Got a new GPU but my power supply doesn't have a 8 pin connector.

Give it a day or two

Suggest me a 1080p IPS monitor

Is Dell better than Asus and Acer? It's more expensive

Don't jinx it, faggot.

Get a molex to 8pin adapter. Otherwise just stop being a poorfag and get an actual psu with real connectors

Going to grab this SeaSonic SS-620GM2 then.
I also realised that the card only has 1 DVI port so I can't use my second monitor.

just use two 4pin connectors

The PSU only has 2 6pin connectors and the card (rx 580) needs 1 6pin + 1 8pin.
It can probably work fine with just one 8 pin connector, but can it run with only one 6pin?

Is 1440p 120Hz achievable these days or would I be better served going for 1080p if I wanted those higher framerates?

Just looking for comments on my budget build, just gaming on a single 1080p monitor.

Already have a GPU I'm going to be using with it - XFX Radeon RX 470 RS Triple X 4GB

Should I be able to max out most games comfortably?

Overkill for a NAS?

Depends on the title, my 1080 gives me 120+ fps on all esports shit like csgo, overwatch, LoL, etc at 1440p. But I can also get it on max settings on older titles like The Evil Within, Bioshock, etc. On new AAA games I can usually get about 100 on like ultra, but depends on the game. You need a 1080ti to consistently push for over 120 on max for 1440p.

At 1080p for sure, maybe like high settings if the game is really demanding or poorly optimized

>coffee lake 6c/12t for $400
>1600 6c/12t for $200
DOA?

>coffee lake 6c/12t for $400
More like misinfo.

>1600 6c/12t for $200
Yeah, misinfo.

Okay Sup Forums I haven't bought a new computer in forever so I'm kinda out of the loop on newer hardware so any help would be appreciated. Budget is ~$1k. Won't really be playing a lot of games as evident from the GPU but still wanted to know if there are any improvements to be made since $1k is a bit of a money after all so I want the best possible for that money.

>CPU
Going past 1600 for Ryzen seems to give diminishing return in performance compared to the cost and OP seems to agree with me.

>CPU Cooler
Necessary or is stock good enough? Not really going to do any hardcore overclocking.

>Thermal Compound
Just got some cheap one guess it'll do.

>Motherboard
Seems good?

>Memory
Could probably do with 8 GB but might as well fall for the meme. 3200 MHz isn't much more expensive compared to lower clock speeds so might as well get it since I heard Ryzen benefits from higher RAM clock speed and it's supported by motherboard.

>Storage
My current installation of Arch is ~150 GB so a 250 GB SSD should be good enough and then 1 TB HDD for storing files.

>GPU
Maybe not the best performance I can get for the money but from what I heard AMD cards work better with the open source driver on Linux and I won't really be playing the latest games at max or mining cryptocurrency.

>Case
Kinda clueless about cases so just got something cheap, seems to have good reviews.

>PSU
Full modular means no cables but I assume the components include the required cables? Maybe a stupid question but last PSU I bought had cables attached.

Anything else? Extra fans (room for two more in case)?

intel on suicide watch