Is there any good reason to get this overpriced, overhyped, overdesigned slab?

I could get a new laptop with what I'd blow on this.

yeah user, ur mom and girls will be impressed

It's too big to be comfortably held in one hand and there's no way to have it in your pocket unless you're abnormally large. If you want a new Samsung phone just go with the regular S8, otherwise choose something cheaper.

Actually if you'd actually use one you'd know it's easier to 1 hand than the previous note since it's less wide.

It's a bit taller, but that's generally not an issue for 1 handed usability. I don't have the largest hand and my Note8 is fine 1 hand.

I can barely use the S8 single-handed since I'm a handlet

Mine was free
Mine is also easy to hold with one hand. Nice trips btw.

t. manlet

Without LineageOS it's useless.

>even hypothetically considering buying a phone without AOSP-based ROMs
Samsung is a meme, no matter what hardware, end of discussion.

I think you mean WITH lineageOS it would be useless.

The Spen software would take ages to recreate. And what the fuck is the point of the note without the spen features?

There's no point in note period. Pen is a useless gimmick.

Then get the S8+ for $200 less and don't even consider the Note.

Or if it's too big, get the S8.

Samsung isn't forcing you to pick from JUST the Note8 or nothing, you've got options.

Wait for the S9 then and hope you can unlock the bootloader.

Anything that comes with Android 8.0 at launch MUST support Treble. With Treble support as long as the bootloader is unlocked you can throw an ASOP ROM on there.

>Pen is a useless gimmick
t. never owned a note

don't fall for the curved meme
It's not something you can get used to. You can't hold these phones and avoid bumping the side, even after a year of being accustomed to it, it's just physically impossible. Bezel is necessary no matter what the normies are into. It doesn't look bad at all, but that's the point. It's supposed to be flashy first and foremost

>hope you can unlock the bootloader
What's the use if they don't release sources.
>Anything that comes with Android 8.0 at launch MUST support Treble
Yeah, just like a/b partition scheme on Nougat. I'm extremely confident they'll fuck this up as well.
Name a use that isn't drawing. And no, pen isn't faster than typing.

Would a UAG help with that?

>Name a use that isn't drawing. And no, pen isn't faster than typing.
Signing PDFs or other documents (in my case I work on loan paperwork a lot and have to sign shit all the time)

meant for

Not me, but I have a note. Unless you're an artistic (autistic) person the pen is useless. Mine just plain stopped working and it took me months to notice.

If you don't type faster than you write you don't belong here.

It is if you're using SwiftKey.

>Signing PDFs
What the fuck is this even?

Actually I just got my Note8 after using a Note5 for 2 years, I thought the curve would be shit but I was ready to deal with it, I hated the S8 and S8+, but the Note8 curve isn't as rounded as the S8 and S8+, it's sharper and means there is more flat area on the screen.
It's actually really fucking good.

it might, I didn't use a case on mine

Ever had a lease on an apartment?

Ever wanted to buy a house? Get a car loan? Personal loan, etc, etc.

No, just get an S8 and a console...or a prostitude.

Done in paper and you have to use a real pen.

It's actually really useful for editing pictures on the go. You don't have to be an artist to want that. Even just cobbling together images to post here is made so much easier with the pen + pen features.

No you don't, an electronic signature is perfectly fine if you're using a stylus like that or have an esignature file that has been created with a stylus or other input.

I've signed the last 2 years of my apartment lease on my Note5. I also signed a $17,000 insurance settlement about a year ago using my Note5. I even asked my attorney if using my Note5 was fine since it had a stylus and I didn't want to have to run out to kinkos to print something out on short notice just to sign it and scan it just to email it back. My attorney said it wasn't an issue, if it was my legal signature electronic input was legally still my signature.

So you used it 5 times in 2 years. Great.

making gifs too.

Phoneposting is cancer.

Lol, that's 3 easy examples. I use it all the fucking time. If not daily, at least several times a week. Screenshots, gifs, notes, snapchat drawings, etc

It's fine if YOU don't think you'll use the pen, everyone has different needs afterall. But to pretend it has NO legitimate uses just makes you look foolish.

>underage

I can only go by what I know. I have an s7 edge (picked edge for the battery life and screen size, not the edge meme). I have never got used to it. It is a functional disadvantage.

Visually it is nice. But edge screen + two invisible buttons at the bottom next to the home button and there is nowhere to hold the phone. If app icons went all the way to the edges, you'd be randomly opening apps. Anything that has some function from touching the edge of the screen will trigger from time to time and you have no choice but to deal with it because there's no bezel. You can't just change how you hold it.

It seems relatively minor and it is, but over a year of use everyday you will be annoyed with it. It's a small thing you have to live with that didn't need to be like that except for brand recognition.

I've got a case on my Note8, the case + the way the curve is on this phone makes it so i'm never holding it by the screen.

Also, there really isn't much of anything triggered by the edge anymore, it's just used as an aesthetic thing.

I'm waiting for the first 10" smartphone.

You anons know it'll happen sooner than later.

you have a pyrokinetics fetish

They should've stopped at 5.5 inch. Now their smallest flagship is 5.8.

Why does it matter if the actual footprint of the device has stayed the same? It is the same size in the hand with a larger screen.

>s there any good reason to get this overpriced, overhyped, overdesigned slab?
yes, being rich

It's a good deal with the note 7 promo. $400 out of pocket after some leg work.

I wanted the pixel xl 2 but fuck paying $1000+

It'll be the same as asop anyways after xposed nougat.

Unless you really like the S Pen, no.
Get a S8/S8plus instead, or the LG V30 if they fixed bootlooping.

So a stick 10000 miles long and a micrometer in diameter is fine with you?

Also if you know geometry you'll realize that any given rectangle with the same footprint has the same surface area, and thus any screen on such a rectangle can't be any larger.

Fucking millennials, I swear.

>you'll realize that any given rectangle with the same footprint has the same surface area, and thus any screen on such a rectangle can't be any larger.
holy shit...you're a moron.

Sorry, I didn't realize I was dealing with a bonafide idiot.

Galaxy S5:
>142 x 72.5 x 8.1 mm

Galaxy S8
>148.9 x 68.1 x 8 mm

So compared to the S5 the S8 is 7mm taller, 4mm less wide, and 0.1mm thinner.

The S5 has a 5.1" screen. The S8 has a 5.8" screen. An extra ~17.5mm of screen, on almost an identical size phone.

Actually assuming the screens go to the edge, the S5 has 10295mm^2 area, and the S8 has 10140mm^2, the s8 has a smaller screen.

Learn to math and geometry you fucking millennial know it all.

Are you Chinese?

>the s8 has a smaller screen
Never said it didn't.

>on almost an identical size phone

I never specified which was larger or smaller.

White

you said "an extra 17.5mm screen" but you didn't understand that this was merely a diagonal measurement and not indicative of the actual "size" of the screen

now you're backpedalling

You sure are inferring a LOT of bullshit I never implied.

Enjoy your LARP user, i'm off to sleep.

the best end to a lost pilpul session is sleepy time

go to bed and dream that you didn't make a huge ass out of yourself

I used the note as a college student for a whole year before it got stolen, and I can tell you that it was one of the best tools I've used for my education.
Especially with Office Lens, taking notes was never easier.

I don't know what you guys are talking about but per gsmarena:
S5 142x72.5mm = 10,295mm2.
S6 143.4x70.5mm = 10,109mm2.
S7 142.4x69.6mm = 9,911mm2.
S8 148.9x68.1mm = 10,140mm2.

Screen area per DisplayMate:
S5 11.1 square inches.
S6 as above.
S7 as above.
S8 13.1 square inches.

The S8 is within 2% the surface area of the S7, S6, and S5. But it has about 1.18x larger screen too.