Why is installing graphics card drivers on linux almost always such a fucking hassle...

Why is installing graphics card drivers on linux almost always such a fucking hassle? I have an old laptop that uses integrated intel graphics by default and every guide to installing the non-free or even the nouveau drivers (so I could use the dedicated graphics card) is at least 5 pages long. How can anyone expect linux to succeed when even the most basic things are such shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Version_375.66
packages.debian.org/sid/nvidia-driver
devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/957814/linux/prime-and-prime-synchronization/1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>sudo pkg-manager install video-driver

>using non-free video drivers

I'd be glad to even use the non-proprietary nouveau drivers but instead I have to use the shitty integrated graphics because this meme OS can't even handle drivers properly by default

Buy a laptop made with Linux in mind.

If you have NVIDIA you should be using the proprietary driver. Only AMD works well with the open source driver.

>go to nvidia website
>select graphics card model
>select ubuntu OS
>download .deb
>install

dumb frog poster

>Have desktop set up as a server because I'm mostly on laptop anyway
>Decide I should make the server be able to run as a nornal desktop PC too
>Install XFCE because muh lightweight just werks experience
>Need video drivers
>sudo emerge nvidia-drivers
>Literally just werks

sudo pacman -S xf86-video-intel
Maybe it's time to change distros.

so basically a celeron with 768p resolution and thick bulky beige keys

Ignore that I'm retarded.

wtf are you on about? I did LITERALLY nothing to install my drivers

Its not actually hard, finding the information on the internet to do it is the hard part.
I was going through the same thing the last couple days.
Bumblebee's wiki page doesn't tell you the fucking commands to input.

>two recycle bins

OP is a baiting faggot, it just works on linux. You must be a freetard(TM) or a retard to not get it to work on your first try.

New xps13 is amazing and is fully functional on linux

It can come with Ubuntu preinstalled and has full touch screen support

Didn't have to install anything, just werkd out of the box. Get on my level faggot.

>OP is a baiting faggot, it just works on linux

I wish I was only baiting. On debian 8 the drivers were there and only thing I had to do was go to the settings and change it with a couple of clicks. It had the option to switch between the integrated intel gpu, open source nvidia driver and the closed source driver. This piece of shit however doesn't even show the additional drivers even though the menu title for this shit says "additional drivers". Pic related, no column for additional drivers at all.

Install linux mint > Go to driver manager

Installing drivers on linux will never achieve that level of easy by any other distro.

So it's not the fault of "Linux" but of that individual distro. What is it anyway? It just works on all the mainstream distros.

debian 9. I have no idea why the thing doesn't even show the additional drivers option. My system can detect the nvidia card. Should I disable the integrated intel gpu from bios? will trying that fuck anything up?

>this is the freetard solution

Install a proper distro if you want your drivers to work properly instead of sucking Stallman's cock.

Like linux mint

because linux is shit.

is there a driver manager for debian?

linux is designed to be a hassle, that's why the only people who use it at home are the ones who need to occupy themselves with useless shit

>use mpv on Windows
>incredible fast, very low rendering times and vsync jitter

>use mpv on Ubuntu with open source driver
>easily 3x slow
>update driver to the latest version
>6x slower
>give up
I have AMD Polaris GPU btw.

This is "Mint only" tool.

>2017
>using GMU/Pinus @ personal laptop/desktop (not at work)
Topkek.

>being a poor slav
>any year

xaxa

>have no money for OS
>talking about poor slavs

>buying an OS

if you're on ubuntu just search for "additional drivers"
it will find if you can install any nonfree drivers.

Nvidia binary drivers just werk for me and took 5 minutes to set up on debian stable

>implying this is all it takes

tell it to nvidia for shit dribvers

I use debian 9 and when I go open the "additional drivers", I get this: . It doesn't have the column in which the driver options would normally be.

how did you set it up?

wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Version_375.66

Just follow Gentoo's wiki page on Nvidia Optimus retard.It should be pretty much the same thing for every distro.

I don't wanna break my system by copypasting 10 pages of shit that ends up fucking up everything. Every piece of advice differs from each other and none of them are guaranteed to work. I really want to like linux but retarded bullshit like this doesn't make it easy. I never asked for this

>>two recycle bins
How is that a coherent argument?

How come the nvidia control panel on archlinux doesn't remember that I want 1080p 144fps?
Gets annoying to change it every time I log on so I might switch back to windows where things just werk.

>reboot
What kind of meme distro are you using where there are extra steps?

your meme answer doesn't work on debian bud. Every fucking advice requires at least two hours and immaculate execution.

>complaining about how hard it is to install proprietary drivers in a distro that is anal about free software
Use a real distro.

see FIVE
MINUTES

everything worked out of the box on debian 8 and I fell for the debian 9 meme

What? they installed themselves automatically for me! never had issues with graphics drivers
Works On My Machine(tm)

Intel works fine out of the box, same with AMD. You're thinking of nVidia.

Don't use Arch or Gentoo then.

This.

t. retard
Dell and System76 have great Linux laptops. You also have KDE Slimbook.

>Unable to apply some actions, aborting

not working bud

welcome to the linux experience pal, all the people saying its easy researched in advance which cards/chipsets are well known to work or use some POS laptop not meant for graphics so they don't care how horrible it runs.

if you have a card that has problems it means you have to hack it to work or program your own drivers.

debian
enable non-free repos (or install from the non-free cd)
sudo apt install nvidia-driver

WOAH so hard

je voudrais fabriquer une clé rubber docky qui peux maider SVP

>he managed to fuck up the package manager database on debian STABLE

how the fuck is that even possible?

just install mint or something, god damn

>researched in advance
This was true a decade ago, not anymore

>buy all my hardware eyes closed
>nvidia cards, amd cards, weird broadcom wifi, chinese bluetooth shit
>everything just werkz on linux

je voudrais fabriquer une clé rubber docky qui peux maider SVP

amdgpu works flawlessly out of the box and in combination with Mesa is one of the best preforming Linux graphics drivers (only proprietary Nvidia is better).
It has come such a long way in the past 2 years and works out of the box for most GCN GPUs.

I have pretty common gpu, nvidia gt 630m. Somehow debian 9 doesn't even show additional drivers and only uses the shitty intel hd 3000. Linux is great when the drivers, compositors, vsync etc are working but when a problem arises it's pretty desperate and annoying to try to search for a solution. Trying to fix one problem leads to you having to solve every problem that surfaces along the way. After a while slitting your wrists starts to make sense

doesn't work, can't find package

I haven't fucked up anyhting on my system yet since I haven't really done anything to it. Have you considered that your advice just doesn't work?

>just doesn't work
Not really, since it's on the official debian wiki and works for everyone else

>works for everyone else

you =/= everyone else

Unless it's an Optimus card. Then you just use the Intel shit.

>doesn't work, can't find package
It definitely works.

The package exists: packages.debian.org/sid/nvidia-driver

If you can't find the package it's likely because you haven't enabled the non-free repos or you have enabled them but haven't updated, in any case it's your fault not the distro because it works for everyone else.

>i can't get it to work
>the official docs, written by debian developers, must be bad
>surely a noob like me couldn't have made a mistake

come on buddy, use your brain a little. do you think official instructions would be broken for something that so many users have to install?

Probably hasn't run apt update at all...

>My setup with amd drivers runs cs:go with 150 fps
Was unplayable like 1.5 years ago but it's still not good.

>amdgpu(+radeonsi) works flawlessly out of the box
for GCN1.2 and above.
It's flaky on GCN1.1 and unstable on GCN1.0 (but both require compile time flags)
The Radeon kernel driver in conjunction with Radeonsi works fine for GCN1.0 and 1.1 though.

I can't find it now but there was a discussion on nvidia site about the state of Optimus and Linux. The dev in charge basically said something along the lines that they can get it to work with the newer kernels but not get it to work with the current build of X11. It's been a while since I read it. That the new build of X won't be released until spring of 2018?

By that time Ubuntu will probably work fine with Wayland, so it will be irrelevant for a lot of users.

Think I found the thread but not sure how far into that I read it. Still, at least there's been some kind of work.
Last post actually asks about Wayland.
Care to take a guess?
devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/957814/linux/prime-and-prime-synchronization/1

For Nvidia drivers you literally download a shell script and execute it.

You gotta open it from terminal with gksu to save the settings.

Oui!

I try to run nvidia-settings and it gives me this. how can I start using the nvidia driver?