Why all the hate for Linux recently?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA#Automatic_configuration
askubuntu.com/questions/859151/nvidia-driver-not-working-error-querying-enabled-displays-on-gpu-0-missing-ext
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Slaves defending their wounded master.

The Fox and the Grapes

It helps the terrorists.

It doesn't play Quake Champions

inspired me to try out i3

Microsoft hired new shills

Damn, that is poetic.

just go for awesome. i3 is literally Sup Forums-tier meme

I think that this is a back reaction from all people who realised that GNU/Linux can't satisfy their computing needs. They think that they fell for Sup Forums mem and now are furious.

>computing needs being dependent on proprietary software
What a shame

it is.
A lot of people are still have to use proprietary software for work. Also there are gaymers, but those are not welcome anyway.

Hey guys! Microsoft is bringing some new and exciting innovations to the table, and they are excited to share it with all of the tech community! Especially new opengl advances that will bring DX12 performance to the Linux desktop! Linux and windows aren't competitor with one another, but work as brother to ensure a more robust user experience! Microsoft has worked closely with various open source projects and even contributed essential code! Throughout the years both Microsoft a Linux developers have remained steadfast friends with a common goal in mind: reinventing productivity!

Most terrorists use Windows.

Well well well, very good job Rajeet, instead of the usual 2 shekels I'm going to give you a pay raise, from now on if you keep up the good work you can expect 10 whole shekels deposited into your account.

But in all seriousness I laughed pretty hard.

when binging for differences, i only found minor stuff
i liked the i3 configuration file better, so i just used that

>A lot of people are still have to use proprietary software for work. Also there are gaymers
These issue will continue to exist if we let them control us.
>work
talk to your boss or company leaders about switching to free software alternatives
>games
help create some free software games to show people that it's possible and should become the norm

I think free Triple A aren't possible.

I'm willing to use proprietary games as long as the have an officially supported linux version

Triple A games don't really matter. You don't need a Hollywood budget to make a good game. In fact, it often just leads to trouble and a big mess.

same for professional software with long-term support. But we are getting there. People already embraced all this Patreon thingy.

Well, not for the stereotypical gaymer. They take pride in running games that go hard on their GPU.

lxde master race reporting in

Unpaid microsoft shills. I don't even. Why??

Same for Linux shills. But they are on the wrong side of history

People hate Linux now? Is this a new Sup Forums meme I'm missing?

Loonix bots think g is overrun by shills because 10% of posts they read say something mildly negative about loonix. Nevermind that the remaining 90% are hate posts directed at intel, microsoft and apple.

it's called shilling.

>Triple A games don't really matter
All games matter. AAA games are kinda of a technology showcase and if they have a good direction and production design - they are joy to play. I definetly wouldn't want to play 2d platformers for the rest of my life.
That being said, I think I haven't really played in anything for a few years now because industry feels kinda stale and the buiseness side is too unethical. I don't know any other industry that is so hostile to it's consumers with its DRMs, DLCs, mandatory internet connection, etc.

because some people really have nothing better to do

Exactly. But the trend definitely shows that more and more companies try to fuck their consumers over.

This may be a good thing, some maybe need to see the extreme to decide to do something about it

why not take pride in something that actually matters like building a house with your own two hands?

>Go for the wm that requires you to know lua over a wm that is a very simple and easy to understand config file

Having a high end rig puts you in a exclusive group and also indirectly shows you did something that matters, at least for other people as they decided to monetarily award you for it.

Dota2? Valve games? It's obviously possible. Even DOOM could be ported to Linux seeing how it already uses Vulkan, and playing it through WINE gives a better performance than natively on windows. But the devs are retarded or are bribed by Microsoft. So just avoid shit/corrupted companies like zenimax and you'll be fine.

CAN'T PLAY GAMES

I meant free as in free speech.

But yeah, Triple A games are possible in Linux, but either consumers need to stop dual-booting and using wine or companies like valve need to develop more viable games for linux, otherwise we won't get rid of windows.

it's just shitposting.

Shit, by free you meant open source. With this I agree. I don't care if a game or an engine is closed source, at least for a few years. That's how devs earn money. But afaik id (before they were bought) released the sources of their engines when they moved to the next one, which is why Open Arena is a thing. Which is exactly why games should become open source somewhere around a decade after release, to keep the fandom alive which can even improve the games.

>I don't care if a game or an engine is closed source
You are new here, aren't you?

When you say hate for Linux you mean Linux desktop right?

Cause everyone has been hating that steaming pile of shit and the mouth-breathing fedora tippers that try shove it down peoples throats since the mid 90's. You've just spent too much time while Sup Forums has been a safe space for GNUmales not to have their fee-fee's hurt and things are changing, more people from reality not suffering severe delusions are posting here and causing some ass-pain for lincuck snowflakes.

damn

it is not optimal, but if you have to be a little bit pragmatic if you want to even have a chance to be relevant in this "war"

Play. Hollow. Knight.

it causes a lot of frusturation for people expecting it to be a smooth experience like other OSes.

It needs to be advertised like Dark Souls. People need to be told they'll get their asses kicked and it won't be easy. Things like not patiently reading the wiki before installting new software and using intuition rather than depending on others for help need to stressed to new users. They need to know that this isn't a game nor is it going to be a pleasant experience.

>games should be open source
Who gives a shit? That's like making movies/cartoons "open source". If they were free they wouldn't exist beyond board games and family games. It's not like games are essential pieces of software without which your PC can't do everyday tasks. Open source dominates the essential software "market", aka browsers/archivers/media players/torrent clients/etc. Games don't fall into "accessories" so making them open source is irrelevant and even stupid since their only purpose is entertainment, which has always been a pay only service.

games = software.
They still can have parts of the code which can bring new backdoors into your system.
I will never understand people who install something like Steam on GNU/Linux.

>I will never understand people who install something like Steam on GNU/Linux.

They are cucks to the closed source bull, couldn't not be more simple to understand.

I agree with you, but for the sake of playing devils advocate:
Games should be open source because otherwise they could be used to spy on you without you realizing it.

Gnome ruined it for me. Firefox is incompatible with it. Yup, that's the first reason. Second reason is that they removed top/panel/status icons on 3.26. Even extensions won't support it. These two are the only reason I am not on linux anymore. There is no good DE anymore and tiling wms are not my thing personally. I also don't like XFCE. See above. I'm on Windows10 now. It just wreks.
Haters gonna hate.

>exclusive group
no one gives a shit about your rig except the circlejerk of neckbeards trying to extend their e-peen. and even then why associate with that level of autism?

perhaps someone's gayman rig earns YouTube dollars but it doesn't make it any less worthless as far as being a man goes.

Cinnamon is everything Gnome should be. Modern but not locked down for dummies.

I just listed psychological reasons for it. Of course they are bullshit.

But consider the following: There are people out there who have a "gay pride" parade

because its a garbage OS compared to windows.

your mom is also garbage but that didn't stop your garbage father from sticking his garbage penis in her garbage vagina and producing garbage offspring

you fat piece of garbage

lets get real for a moment. You install windows 10 in about 45 minutes and for most linuxes its about the same but remember. Biggest base linuxes are about 1 gigabytes or 2 while windows 10 can be more than 5 gigabytes of data. And what happens when you open them. On the linux there are about 2 functional buttons, 3 are nonfunctional and in those two buttons there are some pictures to play with. Maybe slide down or up. On windows though, you feel like a god. Its professional its fast, its all functional. You have a godlike user interface. The thing that the linux does not have. You have those two buttons in the linux, but you still search google for codes to write in terminal. Linux is free because its not worth a penny. Nobody would sell a paper without taking the money. Just not sure why people still buy android while windows phone does 10 times more. Trust me. When you work with windows you know some genius ground breaker dedicated himself to give you an operational os

this is bait but I do feel that Windows phones are better than Android. They are snappier, have an interface that wasn't designed by kids, have better battery life, etc. You need to be a complete dumbass to not gain any significant marketshare with such a decent product.

>Why all the hate for Linux recently?
I wasn't aware there was?

Just shills

But since Linux is helpful for everyone they are also helpful for terrorists. The effective terrorists use linux.

I value my freedom more than some minor improvements

It will pay out in the long term

>driving a tank on a road

>windows
>cheap

What? Are you poor?

linux is best

>Why all the hate for Linux recently?
Linux market share is rising due to Windows 10 being a piece of shit and for being spyware so all these MS shills are panicking.

I'm sure MS Is also paying some to spread FUD.

because open sores have become to uppity . we used to get along you and I

edgy faggots who couldn't install arch with a guide came to bitch on the internet to feel better about themselves and normie Sup Forumsfags who cant picture using a computer for anything but >muh fps

does anyone have any clue how to use nvidia x server settings? I have proprietary driver installed but my system isn't using it.

>nvidia
>linux
i'm sorry dude glhf

You need to blacklist the open-source "nouveau" driver. Proper distributions, such as Debian GNU+Linux, do that automatically upon installation of the proprietary nVidia driver.

lspci -nnk, find card, does it explicitly state it's using nouveau? done all the usual suspects like checking arch wiki to make sure everything is configured?

a sure fire way to load it would be to write a minimal xorg conf manually

>muh pragmatism
Being "pragmatic" got us into this mess.

Follow the instructions on the Arch Wiki.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA#Automatic_configuration

because microsoft is paying for companies to shill here

they're getting scared

how can someone be so delusional?

>Arch
No, thanks.

It is getting too good.
Microsoft is afraid

>delusional
nice try MS faggot.

NVidia actually has great proprietary drivers for all cards I've seen and they seem to be almost exactly as good as windows ones. But AMD is definitely better supported out of the box and simpler to set up if you need to download their AMDGPU Pro.

instructions for distros mostly apply to every other distro outside of distro specific stuff like package managers and certain config file locations, now more than ever thanks to systemd making everything more homogeneous, and the arch wiki is one of the best resources online for getting shit done on linux, you'd be shooting yourself in the foot by not using it

I never had to resort to the Arch Wiki.
The official documentation is usually sufficient.

I use debian and it's using my laptop's integrated graphics because it couldn't load the nvidia driver after i restarted my system after installing the driver. when i run nvidia-settings it opens pic related.

It's using integrated graphics.

>a sure fire way to load it would be to write a minimal xorg conf manually

how can that be done? I really didn't expect this to become this difficult. I naively thought everything could work after rebooting. After rebooting the tearing has been a constant problem and I'm beginning to lose my will to live. This might be thing to drive me over the edge and finally end my pain

> can't setup drivers properly
haha

I mean if you know lua already awesome is probably going to be more configurable

why do posts talking bad about Sup Forums get banned? What rule is violated here exactly? (I read them but I can't find the rule for it)

but not being pragmatic won't get us out

One piece of the pie are the new IT students who have to use it for school and aren't used to it yet.

Stop using Debian with new hardware, just grab Linux Mint

Is there a gui xorg editor for plebian noobs like me? jesus christ I want to die, why did I fall for the debian meme? People said nvidia drivers are good but what they didnt mention that you need a degree in cs to get them to work

>recently

Linux Mint is like Debian but theres an optional GUI for everything including a one click driver installer.

>xorg

Deprecated, insecure horse shit. You should be using Wayland only.

What do you mean? There is a thread about how shitty every OS is every day. People here hate on apple and also love it. They hate on Linux and love it. They hate on Arch/Ubuntu and also love it. They hate on Firefox and love it. They hate and love Windows. People here just love hating stuff.

You dumb shit, I told you in the other thread to run nvidia-settings from terminal, using gksu. You need sudo permissions to modify and change the settings permanantly.

it doesn't show the settings but it shows this:
ERROR: Error querying enabled displays on GPU 0 (Missing Extension)

Because some things just weren't meant to be.

>ERROR: Error querying enabled displays on GPU 0 (Missing Extension)
askubuntu.com/questions/859151/nvidia-driver-not-working-error-querying-enabled-displays-on-gpu-0-missing-ext

I hate linux so much. No installer. I have to compile everything from source. Fucking linux. It is a mess. I have to sudo su to even mount a drive WTF??? GPU drivers break after each kernel update leaving me to console mode only. WOW! if I want an os which breaks after each update I would use windows. Linux has no immersion. There are different developers for each package which depends on other packages, but some packages depend on older version of a package but you cannot install the older version of that package because you will break 5 more package which depend on the new package. A BIG FUCKING MESS. LINUX CAN SUCK MY DICK

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.