Sup Forums pls

seriously, which distro to pick?

I want to make the transsition to linux but there are too many distros and this board is just a meme

I'm an advanced user, I know how to read and research to solve problems, but I want a distro that is easy to setup and it's stable and looks and feels comfy because I want to install it on my work laptop

I've tried Manjaro and Ubuntu, Manjaro felt lame and Ubuntu is as bloated as windows, I've thinking on Arch but I don't know

I just want something that just works and looks nice, but it's advanced enough for an advanced user and that let me install most of the things I need to work and it's configurable without losing stability

Other urls found in this thread:

arch-anywhere.org/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/firefox#Multimedia_playback
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

alpine

Ubuntu. And then put whatever desktop environment you like most on it.

Get Arch, its fun to install and fun to use.
But plan in 2 or 3 hours for a first install

Alpine Linux is a community developed operating system designed for x86 routers, firewalls, VPNs, VoIP boxes and servers.

ZorinOS Lite or Xubuntu

quick addition: pacaur is great and the aur is the best package repository for linux i've ever encountered

Antergos
All the good things of Arch (pacman, AUR, rolling release) without the edgyness of having to install it from 0. It comes with a selection of desktop environments

Mint or an Ubuntu flavor
>>>/fglt/

but you learn a lot by installing the os yourself. and its fun if you like that kind of stuff.

>Manjaro felt lame
What do you mean by this?
>Ubuntu is as bloated as windows
Again, what do you mean? Minimal install has less packages than Arch. You mean you don't like Unity? Try Ubuntu's flavours like Ubuntu MATE, GNOME, etc.
>I've thinking on Arch but I don't know
Love to update constantly? Than Arch is for you. It's a lot more stable than people say it is, as long as you are careful with AUR packages.

my main concern is that after all the installation I don't like it, I want something stable and easy to set-up because I will be using it on my work laptop and I don't want more time setting up things that actually working on my projects

that's why I want to stay on the big distros area and not installing esoteric flavors or minor/small distros

>arch installation
do everything you usually do with GUI but use CLI instead.

I only learned how to use the Arch Wiki desu

maybe you should just work on your projects and don't waste time learning a meme OS? Really, any Linux distro you choose (except maybe Mint) will demand some attention from you.

Few days ago I've spoke with an old school sys admin cousin that's now going to actually be an engineer for formula 1, and in our 1 hour and 40 minutes phone discussion he repeatedly told me how shit openSUSE is...

So I've installed it today, holy shit such a clean and beautiful straight install - such a well optimized distro with perfect behavior from KDE, I will never use any other distro for my development workstation again.

ubuntu and its flavors don't demand any attention if you're installing it on a machine with good support

Not my experience. Something will always be broken - media buttons on a keyboard, DPI settings will shit themselves after installing non-free drivers, etc. Really, never encounter a machine that would work with out of the box Ubuntus

Just get Linux Mint. I was distro hopping for a while and settled on it because
>cinnamon is ultra-ricable
>window snapping
>stable as all heck
>Gnome 3 isn't the DE

tell me you aren't bullshitting me, I might end trying it
dunno, manjaro felt idk clunky, there was a something that just didn't make it for me

Ubuntu, when I saw it had amazon pre-installed and that I needed an account to use the little app-market thing, I just didn't like it right away and for some reason it was giving me a lot of errors and glitches

which flavor would you recommend me?

cinnamon, mate, KDE or xfce?

About OpenSUSE no I love it a lot and what I told you it's legitimate within my experience.

Just try it in a virtual machine see for yourself.

First I've thought he might be right but I was impressed with their website and how smart forum posters were there.. I said ok don't get fooled by aesthetics go try it yourself..and it's very good user.

Basically it's THE distro for developers, install it neatly - have a modern, clean, well optimized distro and start programming.
+ It's supported everywhere by all big corporations, while Arch is not - tho Arch is very good itself.

No you don't.

It literally does not matter at all.

If you're a competent Linux user, THIS is the way to go.
Minimalist, no systemd by default, godlike package manager (albeit with not so many packages - yet), very stable and lightweight. Not only that, it has an optional TUI based installer, so you don't have to do everything by hand like Arch or Gentoo.

>Ubuntu is as bloated as windows
Do a netinst then

I'm monitoring this thread because I want to switch from Win8 and OSX to Linux.

I'm not so competent I would say I'm above average noob

Gentoo

>well optimized
boot times and overall perfomance are horrendous. Boot times can be fixed by fiddling around with network manager and turning ipv6 off. But perfomance can't be fixed (at least I don't know how to fix it). Coming from Fedora it feels very slow.
The thing is - openSUSE is fully packed with the things that you may not need in a desktop environment. It's really a server distro. Too bad that the same goes for Tumbleewed which nobody in their right mind would use for a server. If openSUSE guys would optimize Tumbleweed for desktop use - I would be fully onboard because it looks like the most tested rolling distro.

Debian or gentoo

What about Slackware?

Is Ubuntu's future tied to Canonical? I don't want to get comfy with a distribution only for it to become obsolete just because Canonical goes bankrupt.

Even after Microsoft paid them a nice sum of money they're still around 60 million in debt and haven't made a penny since 2004.

Get Debian with Cinnamon and install it from non-free ISO, it's like Mint or Ubuntu but lasts forever. It's almost the oldest distro that's still going and no company owns it. You can always find tutorials for everything if you have Debian.

>captcha: speciale place

This is going to shake up and will quickly come to dominate the entire distro tree over the next few years.
Might as well do yourself a favor and jump on board now.

>I just want something that just works and looks nice, but it's advanced enough for an advanced user and that let me install most of the things I need to work and it's configurable without losing stability
something that you connect to AUR, distro doesn't matter, only pm and repos, etc.
The real shit is when you get into exotic filesystems

The answer is obviously debian. Stable, no bloat, a serious OS that isn't exclusively used by retard ricer memesters.

>free software only repos
nope

>Ubuntu is as bloated as Windows
It's bloated for a Linux distro, but if Ubuntu is a fat guy, than Windows is a literal planet made out of ham.

Couldn't you also just go with Mint Debian Edition?

What non-Arch based distros provide AUR-like repos?

You could do, but the incompetent Mint devs still alter packages and hold back certain updates.

Pretty sure that's only LMDE2. LMDE is a rolling release, and LMDE2 is stable, or so I thought.

Just get Fedora

Red Hat isn't going anywhere, because they're an actual company with actual customers

>Never have to compile anything on your own again (99% of the time)
>Can do anything any other system can do
>Highly stable; 1 minor error in the last year that required 2 minutes of manual interaction from its users
>Bleeding edge
>Annoys newfags that fall for Sup Forums memes when you say you use it

What Godly OS is this, you ask? Arch Linux!

Just make sure to use
arch-anywhere.org/
if you want a super easy installation

Manjaro is based on Arch, but I agree it's pretty shitty. Try Antergos, the patrician arch-fork.

Solus or KDE Neon

MX Linux
Escape the systemd

Would be a great distro if it wasn't void of packages

Or use Arch-Anywhere, the best way of installing arch

>Never have to compile anything on your own again
This is not always a good thing.
>Can do anything any other system can do
Can you easily install Firefox without pulseaudio?
>Highly stable
If you're actually running stable, yeah. I've seen the level of stability you're describing on dfferent distros in the unstable channel
>Bleeding edge
Unless you're running stable. If you run unstable, your stability argument is gone.
>Annoys newfags
Quite so

>This is not always a good thing.
You can compile manually if you want to
>Can you easily install Firefox without pulseaudio?
Pretty easily: wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/firefox#Multimedia_playback
>If you're actually running stable, yeah. I've seen the level of stability you're describing on dfferent distros in the unstable channel
I never meant I'm running a "stable" release. It's stable as in it doesn't break - 1 issue that required 2 minutes of interaction in a year is nothing.

Would you also go Mint for older pc's or even netbooks? Contemplating putting a Mint with xfce on my old Aspire One D250...