Formated HDD by accident. What should I do to recover files?

Formated HDD by accident. What should I do to recover files?

I've scanned the HDD with Data Recovery Pro but to restore files it requires for me to buy the programme. Currently scanning HDD using Recuva which should be the best free option. Any other thoughts?

Pic unrelated. I am just lacking photos to post because, well, you get it why.

ddrescue

Restore partition with testdisk

lmao kys cuck.

I use Windows 10. Would this work for me?

download live linux.
ps: you're fucked if you're still accessing that drive in read mode.

Run dban 2 recover your lost medias

Unformat it

Trying this. Currently analysing my drive which has deleted data. What next?

What do you mean by this? The drive is attached so that I can run recovery programmes.

get this

Restore from backup

/thread

It's an external hard drive which actually contains my backup.

Restore from the backup of the backup

Off to bed. Testdisk is at 10% and it does not seem it will analyis it anytime soon.

Well did the "main" data get fucked somehow? Otherwise you could just make a new back up from it.

Seems that the programme called Photorec which comes with TestDisk is pulling files back. I can recognised some files which were on the HDD before it was formated.
Estimated time 22h. Will report tomorrow. Thank you guys so far!

If you're like 90% of idiots who do not have a back-up who come into the shop, for your situation I would do the following (with linux. Not windows. You do not use windows to recover shit)

- dd the original hard drive to a blank drive to perform work on. If the drive is in a failing state, bad sectors, etc, would use ddrescue.
- Run TestDisk on the cloned drive and see if it can locate and re-build the partitions. If it can, you are lucky and should be able to access your data again, minus any sectors that got nuked after you probably started writing over the original again.
- If TestDisk does not work, you will need to use PhotoRec. PhotoRec is great at recovering as many residual files as possible. The filenames will NOT be the same and you will need to manually sift through all of the shit, including many false-positive files.
- Don't be an idiot and keep back-ups next time.

i have a 1tb mypassport that says too mnay bad sectors and won't open
Is there any hope?

I have like 98gb of shit on it .. all I did was run a defrag there were no signs of failure b4

I have a pair of HDD's that've been sitting around unpowered and unused for like 5 years (found them in one of my old computer cases I was throwing out)

I plugged them in and they seem to be blank, but if they were in my computer then they definitely had stuff on them. How would I go about recovering any data?

If you just formatted it's pretty easy to recover the partition table with testdisk. Don't write anything to the disk or you'll lose some of the information

Run chkdsk(windows) or fsck(*nix).

Note: on a drive with a lot of data or files it can take a while to fix sectors, DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER in the middle of fixing sectors. At least with chkdsk it can potentially render the partitions on the drive unreadable.

oh well then I likely f'ed it cuz I ran chkdsk in command but there was no activity showing so I shut it down