So I learned that Windows 7 drops support in 2020

So I learned that Windows 7 drops support in 2020.

What is the linux distro that can provide me the closest experience to it as possible.

Other urls found in this thread:

radsoft.net/news/20100205,00.shtml
bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/microsoft-will-not-patch-smbloris-vulnerability/
scmagazine.com/microsoft-will-not-patch-a-security-bypass-vulnerability-in-edge-browser/article/687599/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

windows 10 nigga
/thread

correct

Ubuntu is a good starting distro for newfags, I'd suggest that

Why do you need Microsoft support?

I'd recommend Lubuntu over stock Ubuntu though.

Security fixes

yeah just use win 10. Fags say 7 is better because they think it makes them cooler but there's like basically no difference in how I use either OS. People say there are problems with win10: I have yet to see something that didn't work because of it, and I'll bet there's plenty of stuff that doesn't work if you have win 7. So fuck off with your "im superior u have bad taste" shit

If you are worried about security why are you using windows at all?

>What is the linux distro that can provide me the closest experience to it as possible.
>linux
None.

W10 is shit. Microsoft spying on you and the shittiest UI ever. Aero was perfectoin

Windows 10 LTSB is probably the closest linux distro you'll find user, just don't forget to finish setup by installing ubuntu from the Windows Store!

#1 if you think that Microsoft is spying on you so using another one of their OS's will stop that you're retarded. Also like it's not too hard to believe, sure, but some decent evidence would be nice.
#2 that's a matter of opinion. It's not a shitty UI imo, it's nice and modern.
Unless the only reason you want to seem disabled is because you don't like the look of win10 you might as well switch to it.

>Also like it's not too hard to believe
This is common knowledge retard about how pervasive Microsoft is.
>it's nice and modern
Modern is nice if you're a retarded art studio. Minimalism is awful and just lazy.

>Unless the only reason you want to seem disabled is because you don't like the look of win10 you might as well switch to it.
There is the privacy issue I've already raised but UI alone is enough. I don't want to use some ugly piece of shit UI that makes me unproductive and hate my computer. Same reason I use Waterfox over a Chrom* fork, UI is important.

The only things that W10 is worth upgrading for is for DX12 and the Linux subsystem. The later can be subbed for Cygwin easiest enough and the former is only applicable for edge case games.

>when you're a retarded art studio

bitch UI is important but what we're talking about here is the _look_ of it. There's a minimal difference between the win7 and 10 UI: min, close, max buttons in same place, taskbar in same place, desktop laid out same, etc. etc. You could keep the UI and swap the look of win7 and it would take most people a bit to notice. If you really think boxes vs rounded rectangles will make you unproductive then you may need to get yourself checked out for OCD

>boxes vs rounded rectangles will make you unproductive then you may need to get yourself checked out for OCD
Yeah it would because it's a disgusting layout. Just look at that taskbar or the popup boxes. I've tried W10 because and I went back to W7 that same day. Still have to use that ugly os everyday for school.
Has nothing to do with OCD, just having standards and taste to what looks good too.

Windows 8.1 with classic shell

Puppy Linux

fine. I can insult personal taste but that's not going to change it.

Insult all you want, you're still retarded for liking minimalism.

>your tastes don't match mine, therefore you're retarded

Your taste doesn't have to be like mine, just not shit

Linux Mint.

Out of the box? Linux Mint. Keep in mind that literally any linux distro can be made to feel like Windows 7, though.

Ask it in 2020.
Unless microsoft get their shit together, you probably will have much better linux options by then.

Yeah, just like they dropped support for XP years ago, yet released a security patch for it a few months ago.

>Waterfox
atta boy

Linux Mint at first. You'll learn what Linux can be like and what the common programs are called in Linux side. When you have done this you can continue using it or distro hop to something else out of curiosity. The grass might be greener but it can also be a disappointment. If you have a basis formed in your mind from Mint you are able to compare them better. Use Cinnamon DE.

Oh boy i cant imagine how awesome will linux mint will become.

But well actually mint is superior when it comes to "user friendliness" and "Working out of the box".

There is no distro more user friendly than mint. Main reason? Drivers. The mayor problem of linux is setting up best drivers for your desktop machine and this can piss off new user.

Does creator of ubuntu or puppy linux made something with that? Of course not.

Only linux mint contains preinstalled handy dandy tool called driver manager. What it does? It detects your hardware and then gives you list of drivers for your stuff, and it installs driver you choose.

I honestly have no fucking clue what this is supposed to be. I assume its for something to do with the intel chipset, but I don't know why bios wouldn't handle that.

Linux Mint works well.

Its a microcode firmware update. Well it set tu update firmware of procesor after boot. But it can be problematic sometimes so is better to dont install it

Minimalism is the only right way to do ui design. Windows is trash, install bsd.

user-kun, you can't install Ubuntu subsystem on LTSB....

I'd recommend starting with mint or ubuntu before lubuntu though. Lubuntu is good but not so good as an intro. Mint is probably best right out of windows.

>Security fixes
How do we verify security fixes actually do anything on a proprietary operating system again?

You don't. They also have exploits that they have flat out said will never be patched.

radsoft.net/news/20100205,00.shtml

bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/microsoft-will-not-patch-smbloris-vulnerability/

scmagazine.com/microsoft-will-not-patch-a-security-bypass-vulnerability-in-edge-browser/article/687599/

/THRED

fedora or opensuse

Maybe YOU can't, but what am I?

Linux Mint

>those links

Wow, it's fucking nothing.

What DE do you recommend for start?

You could always use Windows 8.1 with classic shell

Im worried that nobody recommended you installing gentoo

The UI is the biggest reason I'm not switching either, it's downright hideous.
Look at the fucking explorer, it's completely white, no distinction between area's. Windows 7 used some colors to differentiate between the top bar and side bar and such.
Settings are also a mess, they're spread everywhere. Setting things in one menu might change it in the other.
And then there are still the privacy issues. And then there's the constant whining.
Pop ups about shit you should do or try. It just doesn't leave you alone.

I'll just stick with an unsafe W7 forever thank you very much.

This driver manager can be found in Ubuntu as well...

>taste is objective
Ok, kid

install Windows 10 Enterprise, set telemetry level to minimal via group policy

Linux mint cinnamon out of the box, anything with KDE if you spend a little bit of time customising it.

this+hardening to make it safe.

Any distro with the desktop environment as Cinnamon.

I'm still using the original 2009 OEM Windows 7 with no updates or service packs. It works fine and it will work fine after 2020. If or when the day comes that I feel the need to move on I'm going to move to Windows Server 2012.

>explorer, it's completely white
this, I like Windows 10's design but this is irritating. I hope there will be a dark mode for everything, maybe they will make an universal explorer app with dark theme

Windows is not an insecure operating system, it is more secure than GNU/Linux, MacOS, BSD's etc.

The reason people think Windows is insecure is because the vast majority of its user base don't know how to use a computer.

I run Gentoo/FreeBSD at home purely because I enjoy the flexibility, but at work we run Windows exclusively because of the security features and support. (Private security firm)

Don't confuse security with privacy

>any linux distro can be made to feel like Windows
my favorite Sup Forums meme desu

My Dad is better than your Dad.

>it is more secure than GNU/Linux, MacOS, BSD's etc.

Having an open OS also means developers and security expert can look at the code and point out what's wrong, even if not fixing it themselves.

Besides, Linux is less used, and when it's used it's people who know their shit, so developing viruses on Linux or BSD would be time consuming and useless.

Windows is more insecure in the sense of a lot of scam that can and will apply to Windows simply can't work on Linux or Mac.

So even if we take out the source code, there is still a sense of security that is way higher on Linux than Windows.

NSA opinion discarded

mint

>Aero was perfection
XP begs to differ

>XP's fisher price interface is perfect
Said no one ever

Fuck off canonical shill.

Mint with its default Cinnamon DE.

kde neon or openpepe + a dummy user account just for wine

>/treading your own post

Pretty sure it's about botnet and not "being cool".

>but some decent evidence would be nice.
I'm pretty sure there's already been millions who easily used a packet analyzer and saw how often the OS "phoned home". It's not even like they tried keeping it secret, if you're open to having your activities public, then the constant reporting is probably nice.

Zorin OS. I use it, and it is just like Windows, only it is a free and open source Linux distro.

>linux

dude just pirate windows 10 lmao it's way better and it has directx12 which you need for most games in 2018

Unironicly this.

> So I learned that Windows 7 drops support in 2020

Where the fuck have you been? New here?

>wanting to use Linux on desktop

does anyone know how to get the taskbar on all monitors. i know theres a thirdparty program but it seems kinda shitty.

KDE

out of the box it looks nice
but it's really easy to add a few themes to make it look even nicer

it depends on what you need to do. If you just code, browse the web, watch videos and edit documments just take any distro... ubuntu, mint or manjaro are good for newfags and will just work out of the box. The only reason to ever use windows is AAA gayming. If you only play good games and don't feel desperate to get your latest triple A garbage you won't have many troubles. Wine works nice if your pc is not shitty and you need photoshop or some software like that.

Slackware linux

Good. It's trash.

xubuntu

>Your taste doesn't have to be like mine, just not shit
You obviously are fat have bad skin and generally smell weird if that's your taste.

this

LTSB doesn't come with the Windows Store shit.

Of course we don't. I was being facetious. Worrying about security updates on a proprietary operating system and a 2020. deadline is meaningless.