Fell for the full disk encryption meme

>fell for the full disk encryption meme
>cosmic rays randomly flip one single bit
>entire disk garbled

GOD FUCKING DAMMIT Sup Forums I JUST LOST THREE TERABYTES OF DATA

??

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHICH BIT WAS FLIPPED ALL MY STUFF IS GONE

Flip all the bits back one by one until it works.

>Posting on g
>Doesn't know what a backup is
wew lad

>cosmic rays
nigga tell me you're memeing here

Dude just calm the fuck down and use a deep recovery tool to see if you can get any files off through the bits that weren't flipped.

>Getting bored with my current software
>Swipe magnet over my hard drive
>More than 0% chance that the bits will flip to randomly arrange themselves into new software that no one else has

Who here /magnet maniac/?

This is actually possible?

I bet this is how windows 10 was created

This

statistically possible

There's actually 0% chance. Regular magnets are simply not strong enough to flip even a single bit.

>full disk encryption
>no backups
now tell me who the retard is

backups are also encrypted.

Thank you based /magnet maniac/ man, I have been waiting months for your return.

does the encrypted backup got backup?

One time I lost 1 stick of RAM, my friend lost a GPU, and my professor in college lost some network equipment. I also got a couple of laptops from my classmates to fix, most of them with some sort of unexplainable hardware damage.

If this weren't cosmic rays, I don't know what else.

Should have used FBE instead. FDE is indeed a meme.

this

I literally never understood FULL disk encryption. Why not keep all sensitive data on a small, separate drive and encrypt that instead?

why did you need to encrypt entire TBs of animu?

they have to break the encryption to hack the computer

Because it's the kind of animu that is illegal.

>he is this worried about hackurz

full disk encryption does more than prevent sensitive data leaks, it prevents the system from being tampered with that may cause sensitive data leaks

on top of that, how do you know that your system isn't littering evidence of your sensitive data elsewhere onto the (non-encrypted) system? thumbnails tend to automatically be generated and placed in your home folder for instance

britbong/leafag?

i have to be. jk im on windows 10

Found the root cause then.

False, only the single bit that was flipped would be decrypted incorrectly. The rest would be fine.

Also, you would realise that the MAC/CRC does not match and start the error-correction process.

>it prevents the system from being tampered with
Things like luks do not.

It was tyrone rays

This I found an old usb stick encrypted with tc, full fisk encryption, once I decrypted it few of the pics were corrupt

Theoretically possible

really?

ABSOLUTE INSANITY

LOCK HIM UP

That why you should use a metal case with good emi shielding(no acrylic panels). Maybe even some metal mesh on all fan intakes and exhausts. ECC memory helps too.

Don't use any external cords/cables with unshielded signal wires. Ground everything to earth.

>Cosmic rays randomly flip one single bit
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard lol

>Ground everything to earth
TFW computer and everything is ungrounded and grounding it creates sparks and power outages

>Full disc encrypted

I used to volunteer at a computer recycling place that had bin after bin of HDD magnets and they let us keep some, fite me.