I want to install ubuntu on external ssd pic related, but i heard it can cause windows 10 not to boot when it's ejected...

I want to install ubuntu on external ssd pic related, but i heard it can cause windows 10 not to boot when it's ejected. How can I avoid that happening?

Other urls found in this thread:

dionysopoulos.me/253-portable-ubuntu-on-usb-hdd.html
kb.parallels.com/en/115815
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How would it do that?
Ubandoo will install a bootloader on the SSD, it won't touch your HDD unless you fuck around with the installation process.

It says it happens in this guide
dionysopoulos.me/253-portable-ubuntu-on-usb-hdd.html

I see.
This is going to happen if you have an EFI machine, it won't happen for legacy bios.
And if it does, you can just fix it, following the guide tbqhfam.
I wouldn't worry and just do it

How can i check if I have legacy or efi?

I mean, did you not build your machine?
kb.parallels.com/en/115815 follow this.

It's a laptop, t470

fucking underage retard

ok, so it's efi, is there anyway to change into legacy?

Then it depends what mode was selected in the bios, since the t470 is an efi device with support for legacy bios. Just spam the ThinkVantage button on boot and look around in the bios.
I have a t420, and set it up to use legacy bios, to prevent issues with shitty efi.

see
and kys

You'd need to wipe your HDD and reinstall winshit.
Just use EFI, install Ubandoo following the guide and don't worry about it.

thanks. no thinkvantage button tho.

So changing to legacy will prevent windows not booting when external ssd with ubuntu is ejected?

I'd assume so, if you don't have EFI to overwrite and a MBR partitioning scheme not even the idiotic installer will try to do that.

You could save yourself the trouble and get a distro where you have actual control over the installation process.

b-but i want a secure os, isn't Sup Forums is all about it

kys you dual booting faggot
go to r/techsupport

thanks senpai, don't really want to bother reinstalling win to change to legacy, will just follow the guide and see where it takes me

i understand your anger m'lady, but i wanna learn linux and cant give up on windows just yet because work

>external SSD
It will probably have shit performance unless the devices you plug it into have USB 3.1 or USB C.

usb c

USB-C is a type of connector, not a mark for any speed. You could have USB2.0 Type C connectors.

They're usually at 3.0/3.1 speeds though. I haven't found a 2.0 connector just yet desu. Unless they're on phones since I never tested phone connector speeds.

It doesn't matter. Implying USB-C is any kind of indicator as far as transfer speed is concerned is extremely dumb and you should be ashamed of yourself.