At one university, 55% of students in CSC 115 (Introduction to Programming) fail the class...

At one university, 55% of students in CSC 115 (Introduction to Programming) fail the class. Why do so many students fail the introductory course to programming?

They're brainlets.

In the intro class I took the problem was shitty teachers. They didn't explain much in the lectures and openly said they would not answer questions if you were having g trouble completing HW. So if an assignment required you to model a physics concept and you didn't have much experience with physics you were SOL. Oh and you weren't supposed to ask your friends for help either because that would be cheating.

Actually fail finals or give up on CS because it's boring meme?

Because it's full of business cucks who think they're going to be the next bill gates.

CSC115 isn't just a class that computer science majors take. Information Systems, Game Design, Information Technology and New Media students take the class.

Not putting in enough work. More often than not, when a student sees the word 'introduction to...' in the title of a class they hit the brakes, automatically lower their effort significantly.

the simple truth: they're not working hard enough.

How would Sup Forums propose to solve the problem?

Because they're weaklings that can't handle it.

>implying there's a problem
The 55% of students who failed were those who were never going to make it in the field anyway, and they were successfully weeded out. Working as intended.

Weaklings? Should they lift moar?

a) introduce logic and computational mathematics at a primary school level
b) make it clear that it's not the class where you make the next facebook

Everyone and their mother goes for CS these days. It's just half of the normies failing.

kek, what country?

I am going to bet burgerland.

Sup Forums is the 55% who failed
why do you think everyone hates CS majors here

It makes sense.

I started CS and my professor is a very nice guy. He's letting me learn at my own pace and I'm five weeks ahead of all of the other nu-males here.

end affirmative action

>I started CS and my professor is a very nice guy. He's letting me learn at my own pace and I'm five weeks ahead of all of the other nu-males here.
Do you mean CS as in Computer Science? Or CS as in ... ?

Ivy league uni

at my uni , all the kids are in CS. while im in information assurance where there is a larger chance of landing a job after graduation (70%) . literally 5 kids in this program while every one else is struggling to learn basic programming in cs

They're all autists who think they know it all already so they don't pay attention don't do the homework and just spend class circlejerking and trying to show off to the professor when a topic comes up they have some vague knowledge about.

The same shit happens with Introductory Physics courses too. For whatever reason those particular subjects are magnets for autists. This doesn't appear to be a problem for other sciences like Chemistry and Biology, nor for most engineering fields as well or at least it's not to the same degree.

Stop pushing shit like
>Learn C in 21 Days!
Which implies that programming, software, etc. is "easy" since it's just typing, m i rite. Not to say CS is all about programming, but every class probably uses programming as a tool, and the career goal is probably something related to software development.

>Stop pushing shit like
>>Learn C in 21 Days!
...I'm not? Besides, this particular course teaches Java.

Come on... obviously I'm not speaking directly to YOU with a post like that. You asked a society-level question, and got a society-level answer.

>MFW taking required first year CompSci course for the second time

My uni's intro to Computer Science course has a reputation for being very hard.

t. Brainlet

When I got into my curent CS education I was surprised that the vast majority is super tech illiterate. I guess most normies are, but you often don't think about it because they don't challenge themselves/put them in situations where that matters.

what are information systems user?

Something for System Analysts

Because 55% of them don't know how to use a computer

it doesn't need to be solved. some people are not suited to programming, and they shouldn't get a degree which indicates otherwise

How else are they to gain entrance into Brodin's hall?

one word
maths

what are system analysts user?

I don't know. If they weren't suited for programming, then why would they sign up in the first place?

Zero experience with logical thinking but most likely because CS classes are very detailed oriented.

For most of these retards, the 80/20 rule has been their life. It's gotten them A's, got them on the sports teams, got them friends etc. And then, they try it on coding (most likely C or Python for intro CS), and their code won't run, because about 20% of it is wrong (80/20). They've rarely had to troubleshoot things so they don't know where to start and so something as simple as a fizzbuzz or a change calculator takes not 5 minutes, but 10 hours.

I say, fuck 'em. Only two college CS classes are worthwhile anyways (Operating Systems, and Algorithms). If you've somehow gone through 12 years of education with a fucking Quad or Oct-core processor computer glued to your hands at all times and still haven't picked up the basics of programming then you deserve the firing squad, or at least a C-.

Because modern technology and software has inherently made people dumb. Many people think that being able to operate a Mac or an iPhone constitutes being 'good with computers'.

It could also be the fact that they don't have the inherent curiosity to learn computer and technology. I'm increasingly seeing more and more people who simply learning CS and (C)IS simply because it's profitable, rather than from any genuine interest from it.

Because they've been sold vague promises of tons of cash and clouds raining blowjobs if they choose CS. Besides that, most people that age don't know what they want, much less what's best for them.

>one word. maths
... is not a word.
Chemistry is shortened to "chem".
Economics is shortened to "econ".
Mathematics is shortened "math".
If you add an extra "s" to math, next you'll be doing something crazy, like, adding an extra "i" to aluminum.

I have a hard time believing any of that.

it's not a problem. There are more than enough people who know how to program.

Some people never tried hard in high school so they never developed good study habits and can't study in college. This is especially true for the freshmen in intro classes.

Others ask their smart programmer friends how the intro class was, and the friend always says "it was easy". The students take this at face value and never attend lectures or do homework

Some others simply don't "get it", and never manage to fully grasp the concepts even after spending 5+ hours a week at the TA helpdesk.

I took a class called Intensive Linux Kernel Programming that started with 35 students. By the second class it was down to 12 and at the end there were only 6.

CS in a nutshell

Are there even "concepts" in CS101? Like the work is all just picking up syntax and translating your thought process into code.

The failure rate is too low. We need to make it harder

only murkastronk calls it math, the rest of the world calls it maths as in the plural mathematicS

A lot of introductory cs classes claim they have no prerequisites. However, they actually do require a certain amount of familiarity with computers and programming concepts beforehand.

So the classes are in this weird limbo where it's too easy for students that had knowledge before, but too difficult for the students that had never written a line of code in their life.

Yeah, but that can prove to be too much for someone with no programming exposure.

At my university, I TA'd an intro computer architecture class for a few semesters. The students were required to install ubuntu in a VM, and some people were legitimately scared of typing commands in a terminal, even when copying from our manual.

I feel bad for the kids who put in many hours and try their best but still can't get it, but they are few and far in between. Most kids who don't do well simply "forget" to hand in assignments.

It's the first step of the weed out process.
Data Structures kills ~70% of those that are left. Then the good classes start once the people who don't have what it takes are out.

because most think they are already bill gates

Almost all STEM degrees have something like this, that one mandatory module that most students will fail on their first go. For chemistry it's organic chem, for mathematics it's geometry (or whatever subject is used to introduce rigorous mathematical proofs to 1st years), for CS it's the first programming class, for engineering it's differential equations, etc.

meant to reply to

you literally can't fail a programming class if you just do all the exercise problems
stupid monkeys