When did you build your first computer?

when did you build your first computer?

I never built a computer from scratch. Only replaced components.

real late to the party, but prior to that I wasn't particularly interested in PC games. I played nothing but console games during the 90's and early 00's.

6 months ago.
Made dimensional criteria mistakes that will no going to happen again...

Around 2001-2002 I guess. Not sure anymore, my father taught me how to bulild a pc back then.

10 years ago. I basically replaced all the initial parts. Only the case and power supply are left. Can I still call it my first built PC?

i think i was sixteen, not sure on the age

When I was 11 but no one wrote an article about it

When I was eleven.
Good old days... Now I'm fourteen

Shame on (You), dude. You're nothing but a loser.

never, daddy built it for me

Roughly six years ago.

>built
Use "assemble"; suit yourself

Litterally yesterday

When I was 5, I'm a really Cool Cid. But my first w/out help from my dad and completely by myself was when I was around 7-8

I've replaced all the components in my PC with new ones. Is it still the same PC?

Just over two years ago, it was a piece of shit, fx300 with r9 270, coming from integrated graphics I thought I would be fine with low settings but really I want all the pretty I can get. the only thing left from that build is my hard drive and psu.

Maybe I'll start from scratch when the 9th gen consoles are out. mmm, maybe more cases won't have shit airflow, ssd's will be more affordable and miners will be six feet under, one can only hope.

>i7 920
>6gb DDR3-1600
>GTX260
>500gb WD Caviar Green
>NZXT Shitbox case

I loved that damn thing. Got super confused when it came to the graphics card, for a little while I thought you *had* to plug the molex->6-pin connectors in, since they came with the GPU.

Ah, memories.

Same here.

Bought my first and only PC 24 years ago.
Been upgrading it ever since.

Probably some time in the 90s. I think maybe around 1996? My family got our 486 from QVC or some shit since PC were quite rare in the late 80s. There was no ordering online back in the mid 90s so I had to read magazines and talk to people on IRC to even understand what the fuck each component did. Shit like Math-co processors got merged into the CPU itself so my understanding of what was required dated from the 80s when 90s was much more modular setup. It still fucking sucked compared to now and the cases didn't seem to improve until the late 2000s. Something as simple as rotating the HDD cage 90 degrees so they face the side wall isn't exactly rocket science but it took 30 years to do it.

I started when you couldn't just build one, you needed to buy a barebone at the very least. In the 80s.

>athlon 64 3400+
>two gigs of ram in fucking dual channel
>radeon x800 xt
what a beast it was

ASUS A7N8X-X
Athlon XP 1800+
Sapphire Radeon 9000 Pro VIVO
1GB DDR40RAM
40 GB Samsung HDD

*DDR400
No idea what I've pressed instead of space

2008ish?

8800GT SLI
2GB DDR2 800
Q6600
850 watt Antec semi-modular (literally why?)
Antec 900 (fans all set to max, all the time)
80+250GB HDD

The GPUs got heavily throttled due to a PSU issue (either the PCI slot or the actual PSU) so framerates were god awful until they pushed a BIOS patch. Thing lasted me forever, eventually I ended up replacing the MoBo and decided to switch to micro ATX and threw everything into a cube case.

'95

is that nixia?
akane kyoto look alike

this

also since about 2008 I only owned laptops

Sometime in my mid-teens. My dad helped, but it was his first PC build too. We forgot to set the jumpers - took us a few hours to find the problem. Good times.

>gtx 260

Dumb fuck. I had an hd 4870 then. Way better

I cried.

Was playing games on a Compaq PC till like 2005. Finally decided to go build a PC for GW1. Spent weeks looking through Frys ads to buy parts on sale.

Still have it, but it no longer works. Kinda want to use the case for something.

Every time I try to install a CPU cooler I have to press down so hard, I'm afraid I break the whole thing. That's the only reason why I don't like building computers.

I was 8, I used xubuntu as my first OS ever then moved to winXP to play battlefield 2/ QIII with my friends.

~2000
Abit KG7-Raid, Athlon XP, Geforce 3 TI.

The legend of Abit motherboards is true, had to RMA that bitch 3 times.

Lol nigger

I've never built a computer from scratch either, only put preasssembled pieces of hardware together.

You must have invented a new type of time machine too since you've aged 3 years since 2016.

I never built it... I'm new in here btw, it's my first reply!!! :D

but is that really necessary?

When Rose made a video about it.

Not yet, hopefully soon.

give me a gf

2009 since I heard pirating games was real easy figured the pc would pay for itself and it really did.

Within the next month or so, when I have the parts.

In college, when I was 17 yo. My shitbox had 2 gigs of DDR2, Q8200 snatched from a home PC (I replaced it with a Celeron), 9600GS also from a home PC, some old case and 20GB Maxtor HDD. I installed Windows 7 on it and had immediate regrets since it took like 10GB and I couldn't install anything except a web browser. Probably the only time when I unironically used ReadyBoost because USB 2.0 flash was faster than that Maxtor. At least I could play GTA IV from the external HDD.

Sveikas drauge lietuvi, aš superhakeris007, tau neįsivaizduojamais būdais atsekiau tavo ip adresą ir žinau, kad tu iš mano baltų genties, duosiu patarimą jei planuoji čia trainiotis, lurk more, pamesk namefagging ir hepifeisus, niekam neidomus tavo vardas ir feisbukinis lingo, pirma suprask, kaip čia vyksta bendravimas ir tik tada postink.

1994. It was a 486SX33. Later I upgraded to a DX4-100.

Kek

3 months ago

Where is this from? ive seen it quite a lot but never found a sauce

three weeks ago.

Tu debils

After being forced to use a Mac my whole life, I finally bought parts to build a pc, built it yesterday.

Isn't assembled a better term?

Same here 2005 was my first build, all consoles before that.

in 2032 , when my quantum computer broke and I needed an alternative to fix my time machine.

>that will no going to happen again...
please...

Mid 90's, when my Amiga wasn't cutting it anymore :(
Whish I kept it and sold it to retro idiots now.

1994, worked the whole summer and blew all the xmas money to buy it.

>Intel i386 33 MHz
>4MB RAM
>50 MB PATA HDD
>Matrox or ELSA graphic card (don't remember)
>Sound Blaster Pro (8bit, Stereo)
>14'400 USRobotics modem (external)

Before most of you pups were sliding out of your daddies dicks.

>14
Sup Forums is 18+. Enjoy your ban.

AMD with a shit tier onboard graphics on Windows vista beta. Goddamn I loved it.

This. My first PC was a second hand P4 xeon atx server platform. I replaced any part at least once and ran multiple types of configs but never built one from scratch. I built one for my father in law late '15 on his budget. Was really fun to do.

When I was 13. Got into age of mythology beta and needed a better computer.

Falling for bait so easily jeez, not him but im disapointed user

Not them, but I remember one time I gave my age as being under 18, and someone reported my post. 10 minutes later I was banned for a week.

>4870
how did you survive? that shit ran at sun surface temps

it's me

2010 I believe. Second hand C2D E2160, some kind of Gigabyte board I can't remember, 4GB of RAM and HD3870 from my old PC. I was 14 at the time.
I still have the same exact case. Never really build a PC from scrath (for myself), just upgraded it.

Post feminine penis

>that shit ran at sun surface temps
I had two GTX480s in SLI.
AMA

I was around 8 I think I don't quite remember

Built a PC for my moms office with my dad

Cases lasts an eternity. I've remodeled my rig completely at least 3 times before I upgraded the case.

>Cases lasts an eternity
Pretty much. Especially since the one I have is still in decent condition and pretty spacious, I could fit massive dual-GPU cards without any problem. Airflow is decent too.

Incidentally on my 3rd system in this case now. First Athlon64 prebuilt from local shop, then the C2D I built, and now 2500K. I'm probably also going to build a Ryzen system in it some time in the future.

Got cheap parts and haven't upgraded past an SSD last year

2010, when I was 16. Built two more for school and three for other various purposes since.

my nigga

Me, too, only because I'm a poor sap

6, with the help of my friend's father.

Not true, depending on what case you got.

Factory cases were often built to fit specific company products. HP/Dell are notorious for this.
Old full towers are a fucking pain in the ass to work with. Sharp edges all over, no cable management, everything is screw in, i/o slots break off.

Considering how cheap modern cases are you'd be mad not to be using one.

NNNNNNNNG.

In 2002, was an Athlon XP 2000.

If they're made of steel, yes. The aluminum ones are hit and miss, it depends on the gauge of metal used.

What keyboard is that

>factory cases
Invest a few bucks more in a good case first time you build a rig and be happy for years to come. Screw that proprietary factory bs

logitech g15

In 1996, I just got out of high school and took a year off. Spent the summer working at the local mine and making awsome money.

Spent 5k on the best motherfucking thing I could buy, which was way more than I should of spent and way more power than I needed. Spent a week putting it together, and actually manged to do it right.

Loved the computer, and even if it wasnt too hard to build back then it was nowhere near as easy as now.

MSI K7N2G nForce2 (first motherboard support dual channel).
AMD Athlon xp +3000
3gb ddr ocz platinum
Geforce 5200

good times :')

2011. I got the now legendary 2600K and still run it as my main machine to this day. I NEVER imagined it would still be useful in 2017.

I don't know if I'll stay Intel, go AMD or wait for the modular Mac Pro's glorious return for my next PC.

Around 1992. Didnt build it from scratch but rather replaced individual components. I ordered in a sound card and a hard disk from a mail order magazine.

Hard disk was around 300MB and had to setup heads, sectors, etc in the BIOS manually.

Not sure but I think around 2001 or so.

I remember my graphics card was an AMD Radeon 9500 and I tried to do the firmware hack that transforms it into a 9800. Didn't work sadly. Was still a bomb ass PC back then and lasted me many years. I remember getting high as fuck and playing Vice City on it. Good times.

That was also the point where I consciously started to save and archive pictures for fapping purposes.

AMD K7 Thunderbird, yeah first one was a long time ago. I'm almost 30....

1993, Pentium MMX.
But my best build around that time was a dual PIII with an ePox motherboard, it was the shit.

I won my first video card in a random Nvidia contest I entered, so I figured I'd build a computer after that.

Fucking MSI 8600 GTS, with this big fucking passive cooler wrapped around it to the back, shit looked so weird.

About 2 days ago actually