/tpg/ Thinkpad General

Show your family of thinkpads edition

IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Previous thread:
Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook, GETAC's,Toughbooks).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN HP Elitebook (2570p, 8770W, 2170p), Dell Latitude/Precision (E6430, E6440, E7440) and P, T, X, and W SERIES if you want the Real Business Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable

Recommended original IBM design models:
T60, T61, X60, X61, 860, Transnote, PC110
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad Buyers Guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

New guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads and running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

ThinkPad wallpaper collection:
imgur.com/a/NlepZ

Other urls found in this thread:

notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-may-be-planning-an-AMD-ThinkPad-lineup-with-Raven-Ridge-APUs.237028.0.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>tfw you run your finger around the soft rim trackpoint

Escape key broke anons, I just got this chinkpad yesterday too. It keeps registering ghost presses and messing with the trackpoint, even in the bios

Got my thinkpad and the fingerprint reader is not working. Does anybody even use it? I'm debating whether or not to return it.

Remap Caps lock to escape if you use it a lot. Much better position.

>giving your fingerprint to the Chinese

I'm going Uni soon, figures after being on Sup Forums a lot, I should get a thinkpad.

I want my laptop to basically be a capable desktop PC, so weight is not an issue (also im pretty strong).
Being an autist, I have autist hobbies. I need a thinkpad that can handle shit like
>photoshop
>after effect
>sony vegas
>playing overwatch
>can run emulators like dolphin at a decent framerate, at least 20.
>digital drawing and animating software (2d and 3d)
>coding
>anything that is usually in a physics degree that requires software, sorta like simulations in vpython

Weight is never an issue, it could be 20kg, shit dont bother me if its worth it. Its gonna be plugged in mostly. I'm good with 15.5 inch screens but smaller is fine.
What would you guys recommend?

Keyboard is kill

Since you'll be doing some really demanding stuff, P50 or P51

Can I disable escape?

W or P series, the workstation ones, are what you're looking for.

Fix'd. Old one generally ran at about 89c, so this is a notable improvement.

Why don't y'all just get a zenbook?

>Why don't y'all just get a anus cancer?
no ty

botnet

>paper thin overheating notebooks

Yes, because all of us love ThinkPads for their slim design.

Bluray Drive for W500 or should I just get an external one, awoo-kun?

Hey it's the Japanese keyboard user from the previous thread

Thanks I found it, I'll let you know how it works out once I get paid!

Nah, keyboard is just broke. Rip I guess I'll get another.

>buys lenovo chink trash
>calls out others for botnet laptops
lmao

Which W models would you recommend?

Elementary OS y/n?

W530 for price/performance ratio
P71 if you aren't spending your own money

What's the most recent X model with a removable CPU?

there is none

Well, shit. T440p then?

y if you don't mind no coreboot support

Is t400 good?

That's the latest one with socketed CPUs, aye.

Nice. I'm getting pic related idle with 4chen but it's only the stock 4300M. As soon as i find a cheap 4800MQ i'm buying the dGPU heatsink.

I have a dankpad with winblows 7 on it. I'm finding I'm running into issues with key combinations / rollovers.

I can't seem to input four simultaneous keyboard inputs. Three is fine. I'm trying to use a virtual desktop manager (virtuawin) and it doesn't go very well. Any inputs inb4 >not tech support ?

Damn, I cleaned it with some rubbing alcohol and got a little bit on the keys, but I let it sit and dry upside down for like two hours, so I figured it would be dry by then.

It worked for a solid couple of hours before it randomly starting acting up and it hasn't worked since.

All of you memebois getting t420/x220 keyboards for the t430/x230 means I have to pay extra to replace it too.

No big I guess, I just swapped the keyboards of my t420 with the x220 and I'll wait for the replacement in a week hopefully. I am just wondering whether the keyboard just happened to die or if it was because of the rubbing alcohol.

You might not need it, mine wasn't throttling with the stock one. I just wanted to experiment.

Thats a pretty decent drop. Considering my workload this seems like a worth while addition.

Do you have a point of reference before the quad core upgrade? I wonder how hot it'll get with two extra cores if i'm getting around 24 with this 4300m.

>You might not need it
Lower temps is always good for me.

Worth noting that both of those were done about an hour after I'd put fresh thermal paste on.

Idle, not really. I remember that at peak it was hitting the 70s though.

Yours is definitely running cooler than mine ever did.

Going back to community college probably next semester. I'm gonna study some kind of CS. I've only dabbled in some slight programming so I don't know a lot. Basically my question is how hard is compiling on a CPU? Right now I have
>X200T - C2D SL9400
>X220T - i7-2620M
>W520 - i7-2720QM

So I'm fairly certain I can do whatever programming I'm going to learn but I'm wondering how they will perform and if I can get away with my X200T? I'm thinking of either learning Java or C++ as that's what my college offers. Then again I'm thinking of going full meme and doing web design. If I go that route, then any of these will do and the W520 is complete overkill.

Anything is fine, but in general lower specifications = longer compile time, but that is not going to be an issue for you when it comes to the small programming you'll be doing in college.

just take that X220t and impress everybody with the nice twisting display :^)

for anyone who wants pepe as their POST splash screen just name this LOGO.gif

these things need a booru or an album or something, i still have the yuru yuri ones

Everyone post theirs then or any that they have and we can make an imgur album for them

If anyone has a Megumin one post it

That's my wife

Yeah I figured that might be the case. My C2D is still fine enough for me for everything I do, I can edit pictures/audio perfectly fine and even run an N64 emulator with no problems.

But the X200T has a screen that swivels in BOTH directions!

Can I do this on the x230, and I can use other images?

Yes it is designed for x220/x230, it should work fine on any 16:9 screen theoretically. It's super simple procedure btw.

Yes but it's limited to 30kb filesize. The main issue is ending with a 30kb image that doesn't look like shit.

different user here, link to custom bios process?

Does it work for a T440p?

I literally have 5 of these that I picked up today from the trash. All either T60 or T61's, what to do?

>I literally have 5 of these that I picked up today from the trash. All either T60 or T61's, what to do?
restore and sell to college students, they'll be thankful
maybe recolor them too and check for faults
install win7 or linux mint

checkd

Serious question.
Where does one place the logo? How does the bios have immediate access to the drive?

O fug I didn't even notice

Please don't lewd my wife

someone post a quick vid of their thinkpad booting up with one of these images 'please'
can I have one of the t60's with an ibm logo for cheap? I'm a europoor ;;

Yes and in fact you have another option, logo1 and logo2 for UEFI mode (replacing the lenovo logo and the windows logo when booting, if you use windows 8.1 or 10).

but megumin is built for sex

>bluray

Nice anti-freedom DRM. External if you must have one.

Cool! For sure let me know, I've been trying to keep a list of sellers that haven't fucked me yet.

>has no idea what she's talking about

YAMERO

Where do you find the template for it?

Should I just let it dry a few hours and try again? I ordered a new one in the mean time so hopefully I won't have to cancel it, but on the other hand, if the keyboard will work again that'd fix all the problems.

I just wet it with water and put it in front of a fan to wait for a few hours I guess.

it just replaces the thinkpad logo for one or two seconds when booting, nothing else

this is on coreboot iirc but it's the same with the original bios my.mixtape.moe/wnqryg.webm

rough draft of a splashscreen image my friend made for me
not done yet but could someone convert it for me when it is?

>assuming my gender

>"Esta laptop es una mierda"
spic version

Is an X61t good for drawing Fluffy abuse?

yaaas

but if possible step up to X200t

fixed
everyone say thank you danny if you use it
except you can't use it yet because I don't know what the fuck I do with it now
someone tl;dr it so I can chunk it on my x60

its 10kb too large
get it down to 30kb, download lenovo bios update utility. extract it but dont install the update. save file as LOGO1.BMP or GIF in the extracted folder. Run update exec. You should get a notice about replacing the default logo. dont turn your pc off while its flashing or you'll brick your thinkpad

here i resized it to

Good to know, thanks user. I'll throw some suitably degenerate images together. Any good guides out there for later Thinkpads? First one I found looks like it's only for xx20 and older.

It's the same procedure (image smaller than 30kb and 640x480), is my 440p.

You missed the spanish translation:
"Esta portátil es una mierda"

And the english to japanese spacing is bigger than the chinese to french one

oh oh... if you thought your laptop was hot, wait to see this
notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-may-be-planning-an-AMD-ThinkPad-lineup-with-Raven-Ridge-APUs.237028.0.html

Wait can this be done with linux?
Spanish is ugly

>Dieser Laptop ist Scheiße.

Wrong. The word "Scheiße" with a capital S is a noun so it would mean that the laptop is literally made out of feces.
If "scheiße" is supposed to be an adjective it has to be written with a lower case s.

>linux?
If you want to update your BIOS using Linux you have to download a bootable BIOS ISO. Maybe you can replace the image in the ISO but I'm not sure.

i didn't made it, just resized that anons image m8

Ah, thanks.

Heyo du deutsche Nazikartoffel, wen wählst du?

yoink, stolen. thanks user

I used google translate for engrish humour appeal you daft cunt

Die PARTEI
sie ist sehr gut

I didn't assume you made it.

Anyone here ever use a T500? Thinking of picking one up for $100 CAD

nee die Piraten sind besser

ich wähle keine Zecken
alle erschießen

is this serious?
I can only get 2 hours max

with a genuine 9-cell and power saver mode, yeah looks okay

I like this. Thanks, user.

na kannstes net verkraften dass hitler versagt hat?

It depends. With my X220 and a 9cell battery I can get 9 hours of life but this is with screen brightness at it's lowest, CPU capped at 800MHz and screen set to turn off after 1min of inactivity. With these tests though they usually do it with a select few sites so everything is cached in the browser minimising the cost of redownloading the webpage.

remove the bios message, there's an option to do that but i forgot where it was

autistic

Ich kann es nicht verkraften, dass die arbeitslosen Schnorrer uns noch mehr Sandneger ins Land holen wollen. Selbst ihre ursprüngliche Idee vom freien Internet haben die doch mittlerweile verraten.

No idea where to look on mine desu. Had a skim through the bios options, don't see it.

na die partei wirds eh net schaffen

entweder die behinderte AfD oder deine stimme geht verloren

My pleasure