/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Old one reaching limit
if you want help:
>Assemble parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560 - poverty-tier builds
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R5 1400 - If you need multithreading
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use, not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>VEGA
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 or Vega 56 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM, 3200 MHz is ideal

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/product/fZyFf7/seasonic-power-supply-s12ii520bronze
hardocp.com/article/2015/02/19/evga_430w_power_supply_review/
jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=185
hardwaresecrets.com/seasonic-s12ii-bronze-430-w-power-supply-review/
pcpartpicker.com/list/TXvDYr
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

So what's the verdict on these cheap case + psu combos? Will it be able to run an OC i5 and OC gtx 970?

First for year of the AMD Desktop

Delid dis

CPU will stay packaged until i see how my G4600 performs at first

>1TB SSD

>7700T
What the fuck

its going to be my main

35W and neglegable difference in performance, the turbo boost is still 3.9 or some shit

i want less heat in my room

G4600 is almost double as is

dude...... what

is mSATA basically dead at this point?

No one?

Anyone who's had experience with these cheap 500w+ psu's?

i wouldn't risk running oc i5 and gtx 970 on those. they are for web-browsing builds, not gayming

just buy the cheapest EVGA 500w and the cheapest case

Yes
EVGA makes shitty cheap PSUs
Seasonic, on the other hand, does not.

>negligible difference in performance
~20% is not negligible. you know you can just get 7700k and underclock & undervolt it for the same, if not better results?

the cheapest Seasonic is almost 60 dollars, EVGA has a 500 at half that

and they're super reliable

I am addicted to collecting pc hardware boxes

What if I spend £15 more and get a 750w capacity psu with the case? As long as I don't stress the power supply to near capacity it should be ok right? I've used one of those online psu calculators and it says that at max my system will use about 470w under load

1, i dont have a z mobo
2, i dont have a hsf
3, i dont feel like messing with that bullshit
4, i'm only gaming at 1080p on a 60fps monitor

>the cheapest Seasonic is almost 60 dollars
I don't know what country you live in, but in the US, it's 40
pcpartpicker.com/product/fZyFf7/seasonic-power-supply-s12ii520bronze

>and they're super reliable
Do tell.
hardocp.com/article/2015/02/19/evga_430w_power_supply_review/

That's their 80-Plus model, the W1. They also sell a non 80-Plus model (in 2017), the N1. One can only imagine where it ranks.
I challenge you to find a negative review of a cheap Seasonic. It cannot be done, since none exist.

i bought a fucking S12II 620w that died in less than 6 months less than 2 years ago, i replaced it with an EVGA and no issues

okat Sup Forums, what about my build for the next month?

>i5 6800K - 300€
>Intel Z370 Motherboard - 150€
>Corsair Vengenace RGB Series 16GB - 155€
>Lepa Ellusion 240 CPU Colling - 77€
>Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB - got one alredy
>Seagate 4TB - got one already
>Nox Hummer 850W 80 Plus Bronze - 90 €
>Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC Black 11GB GDDR5X - 709€

any comments?
>

>i5 6800k
I think you mean 8600k, right? You won't find a Z370 board for that cheap, either. Go Ryzen instead.

Your anecdotal claim is fascinating, and I have no reason to disbelieve you.
However, the power supply reviews which litter the internet, where reviewers actually deconstruct the models in question to analyze the components in use, and use specialized equipment to view the effect of loads, view hold-up time, rate efficiency, and go the whole 9 yards show fairly conclusively that:
A. Seasonic makes great PSUs, cheap, midrange, and expensive.
B. EVGA makes great midrange and expensive PSUs, but not cheap ones.
You got the short straw on your model. That's a shame. But a single sample which amounts to "It blew up" or "It didn't blow up" isn't evidence of a bad PSU.

yeah, I mean 8600K.

Nah, I dont want to go ryzen, I can expend 200 or 250 in a board, but Im going Coffee Lake.

actually no because none of the EVGAs "blowup"

and also after the shitsonic died i googled some reviews that actually took the PSU completely apart and they found out it doesnt have japcaps and instead had shit caps and was a well known issue

the only other cheap shitsonic is the fully module 60 dollar M12II varient

ill stick with EVGA's which also dont have issues with intel C states (which S12II does)

14cl vs 16cl 3200hz ram for Ryzen. Is it worth the extra 30 bones(U.S) in performance? How much average fps difference am I looking at?

Nothing wrong with 1TB SSD tb-h

at the PRICe yes there is

>i googled some reviews that actually took the PSU completely apart and they found out it doesnt have japcaps
Interesting, because I just read two reviews showing quite clearly the use of Japanese capacitors.
>jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=185
>hardwaresecrets.com/seasonic-s12ii-bronze-430-w-power-supply-review/
Do you remember where you saw these reviews saying otherwise?
>the only other cheap shitsonic is the fully module 60 dollar M12II varient
You are comparing the price of the cheapest, non-modular EVGA SKUs to Seasonic SKUs which are more expensive due to modularity?
>ill stick with EVGA's which also dont have issues with intel C states
If the S12II had a problem with C-states, it wouldn't cause it do die. It just wouldn't wake up from Sleep, requiring manual resets.
Whatever problem you may have had with your dead PSU, it wasn't related to Haswell.

pcpartpicker.com/list/TXvDYr
gotta wait till Wednesday for the rest of my stuff to arrive

I have the same one and it lasted 5-6 years so far with no signs of failure yet.

>750W psu
Way overkill.

>no itegrated GPU
No wonder this Ryzen gaming bullshit is so cheap

>3000mhz RAM
why tho

>Wanting to use an igpu on your 6 core CPU
user pls

>integrated GPU
literally why

will it still be overkill if I get a 1080ti? I don't really plan on upgrading anytime soon after this aside from gpus.
I thought ryzen need 'fast' ram?

Because ryzen benefits a lot from faster ram.

No it's not overkill and fast ram is a must have for ryzen. Ignore those 2 retards.

I'm going to buy an 8700K and you AMD autistic neckbeards can do nothing about it.

Servers don't need to run Splinter Cell or whatever you kids are playing today

right but you could have gotten 3200mhz for cheaper

still haven't bought the ram so I can still switch it out. thanks
ah alright thanks.

tfw paid €70 for that 520W bronze seasonic
it sucks to be a computer enthusiast outside of the US.

I'm pretty sure the general consensus is "avoid at all costs"

>will it still be overkill if I get a 1080ti?
Yes.

i paid £60 for an antec HCG 620m 620w. it's a modular rebrand of that popular seasonic 620w psu iirc

nothing bad will happen from that right though? Aside from spending a bit more cash than I needed to.

it's not overkill
ignore retards

No, nothing bad will happen.
In fact, it's slightly advantageous, since now the fan will spin less often. Whether that was worth the extra money is up to you.

Ignore anyone who says you a PSU is overkill. Those niggers are fine with running their 450W PSU at 90% load all day because their moms pay for electricity. Peak operating efficiency is around 50% load, it'll produce less heat and save you a couple cents a year. Obviously you don't need 1000W psus but 750 is absolutely fine

>and save you a couple cents a year
The price of his 750W PSU is $120.
The price of the same PSU at 650W is $80.
By the time he has saved $40 over the period he has used the PSU at 50-60% load, the PSU will have long since died and the computer long since replaced.

I have a 750w PSU running on a 1600 580 system. It's great, the fan doesn't spin. It's worth the extra money. Plus, if you upgrade, you probably won't need a new PSU.

>a couple cents a year
woah

notice how I said "save a few cents" and not "you'll recoup the cost"

the main benefit is lower heat generation. It's not a tremendous amount but it's not always so marked a difference in price. I got a gold 750W for cheaper than the 650W was at the time of purchase because of a rebate deal (well, you know what I mean, don't split hairs here)

what about for

>the main benefit is lower heat generation
That is related mostly to PSU fan speed. The fan effectively dissipates the heat anyway.
So, to be clear, he spent $40 (or slightly less, assuming you wanted to factor in the 60% load saving you money down the road) for less fan noise.
That's not an effective use of money to me, and would be better spent elsewhere in the build imo. But hey, it's a fringe benefit.

What graphics card do I put into this old Pentium 4 PC I found on the street? I want a sweet Windows 95 gaming PC.
Yes, I'm going to clean it out.

a 1080 ti

Be serious please.

fan noise is a big deal

if you look at the price history on pcpartpicker, it was as low as $86 six days ago. Since he already bought it, it's entirely possible that he snagged it for that much, and $6 is piss in the wind for a quieter fan

a nice old ATI card

or matrox
or 3dfx

>Current PC
240hz 1080p
3770K + 1080TI + 16gb 1600mhz ram + SSD
Most used software: OBS, Sony Vegas, Overwatch
Im having issues keeping games steady near 240fps during busy gameplay.
I think i'm being bottled necked by the CPU and slow ram.

Would upgrading to 8700K + z370 + faster RAM be the most effective way to brute force more FPS into my games?

What's the best mobo manufacturer?

I like MSI, even though their front panel pins are a bitch to plug in.

I have an old Inspiron 570. The power supply is 480w with no efficiency rating that I saw. What AM3 processor can I put in it along with a low profile HD6450?

SNSV

Ditch the firestarter kit and hop on the ryzen train. Not only will multitask performance be leagues better, you have a 1080ti so the ~12fps difference between the top i7 and r7 is already made up for

Any recommendations or should I pretend I'm in the 90s and read the reviews from the time?

how do I deal with waiting 3 weeks for 1080ti to arrive while using shitty intel integrated

If he bought it then, you're right.

>waiting 3 weeks
do you live in the ISS or something

play 2hu or some other graphically undemanding game, then be blown away when the 1080ti arrives

The cheapest video card available new will bottleneck the crap out of it.
Go on Ebay. Find the cheapest card that's not a complete museum showpiece and get that.

Play Fallout 2.

Start downloading and installing all those games you wanna play so when your gpu arrives you can play them all instantly.

New Zealand
Electronics is crazy expensive here such that it's cheaper to buy it from US and pay heavy taxes + shipping

i really don't think ryzen is good for high refresh rate gaming DESU SENPAI

from last thread:

you guys are probably right... well shit i feel stupid!

Please give me some time to rebuild on partpicker.

In 3 weeks you should be able to figure out a way to get the fuck out of New Zealand for fuck's sake.

standard 7700k for higher SC performance or 1700(x) for MOAR CORES

Do I need to plug it somewhere or?

I mean this one

Watch animu you've been meaning to watch for ages.

You can run an AMD 6 core phenom II on that psu.

This build should arrive tomorrow, thank you anons for showing me the way of the 3200mhz RAM (the storage is from my current PC).

>inb4 there's something horribly wrong with it that I missed

Which one? Is it good?

according to what

not necessarily wrong but what's the logic behind the micro atx mobo with an atx case?

>AMD CPU
>16GB
tons of storage
>Mid range gpu
That's my dream system there.

Buying non-Intel is a hate crime, goy. Cancel this order right now and purchase a Genuine Intel product.

it's cheaper

what the fuck are those 1 2 4 tb disks, are you autistic or smth?

>i'm only gaming at 1080p on a 60fps monitor
then you shouldn't be getting an i7 anyway

>I dont want to go ryzen
why not

Friendly reminder to not buy ryzen because coffee lake will MIGA

No one?

I live in alaska

so?