I bought a thinkpad and now i need to put linux on it

i bought a thinkpad and now i need to put linux on it.

if i were installing debian minimal, what's the best window manager/de? i want lightweight, fast and easy to rice

Why would you just install the kernel? Did you mean GNU/Linux?

Lubuntu is great

i3

Install Proxmox 5.0, not just Debian.

The monolithic Linux operating system usually comes with some GNU programs if you install a full distro. Some distros even come with Steam preinstalled. That's all for convenience. If someone mentions a distro by name you can be sure he'll be getting those extra programs instead of just the operating system.

Install Devuan

WindowMaker or XFCE

>using GNU as your userland

install gentoo you fucking faggot

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as GNU, is in fact, SystemD/GNU, or as I've recently taken to calling it, SystemD plus GNU. GNU is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning init system made useful by the SystemD corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the SystemD every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of SystemD which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically SystemD, developed by the NSA.

There really is a GNU, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of SystemD they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the SystemD operating system: the whole system is basically SystemD with GNU added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of SystemD!

>Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
That's a fucking operating system.

>An operating system (OS) is system software that manages computer hardware and software resources and provides common services for computer programs. All computer programs, excluding firmware, require an operating system to function.

This pretty much.

i3 if you want a tiling wm
openbox if you don't

sudo apt install lightdm i3 openbox lxterminal
sudo /etc/init.d/lightdm start

fluxbox is good

DWM is as good as it gets

mwm, windowmaker, openbox, icewm, jwl. for DE, lxde, xfce

I'm running Openbox on Jessie and XFCE on stretch. Getting a third machine soon which should be Fedora or OenSuSe with Plasma.

This desu

Lol

DWM