Creating and coding my own database

So there is this lad who came up to me with the idea of coding our own database from scratch , the problem is i dont have any idea how to start but i am always up for a challenge . So Sup Forumsents would it be hard to create mine ?

Other urls found in this thread:

infolab.stanford.edu/~ullman/dscb.html
github.com/DevrexLabs/OrigoDB
cstack.github.io/db_tutorial/
github.com/h2database/h2database
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

create table install gentoo

If you have to ask then you are too retarded to do it. Just kill yourself, you fucking idiot.

I'm postinh here to know if any of you had any experience in coding on and could give me tips, help etc

If you are making it for educational purposes then google how they work. You will soon realize that you cannot make one anywhere near as efficient as what already exists.

If you are trying to make a product for people to use and do not know how they work I have some bad news.

It's basically harder than rocket science.

Literally why?
All you need to do to make a "database" is come up with a way of storing and retrieving data on a disk, but real database software is quite complex and requires an in-depth understanding of computer science and math. It's not a grest project to start out with as a beginner

You must be smart if you're going to make something better than people have created, iterated on, recreated and done huge amounts of research on for almost 50 years. You must be up to date with everything that's happened, have some crazy algorithm skills, deep knowledge of operating systems and decades of industry experience. Are you literally Michael Stonebraker?

if this is for education then i would recommend coding up an on-disk B+ tree. that's already pretty hard, and if you can't do that then you certainly can't write a database

writing a feature-complete database requires a pretty extensive knowledge of formal languages and abstract algebra

infolab.stanford.edu/~ullman/dscb.html

>name sounds like a dwarven king
>but is incredibly fucking tall
intimidating desu

so to be fair, there is a big industry of "nosql" databases-from-scratch for dumbasses

Going to start there then

OP said he wants to make a database system, not a fucking shit-tier, serialized object store, rehash of the 2000s, half baked, "omg, XML everywhere" movement.

At least use some non-ancient datastructure as a base, not that fucking B{*,+}-tree bullshit. Adaptive radix tree might work, it's pretty easy to come up with a concurrent and even lock-free version.
Just do something new, use it as a research opportunity, don't be yet another retard that writes a fizzbuzz+, also known as half-assed on-disk B-tree.

download origodb source code.

github.com/DevrexLabs/OrigoDB

sperg much

Add dragon book, plus maybe as reference introduction to algorithms.

Creating/reading/writing the database would be piss easy.

But writing an sql interpreter or something similar is more challenging

databases are for chumps

I keep everything in CSVs and load them into a pandas dataframe

Don't be silly

Many special snowflake databases nowadays are built on top of LevelDB or LMDB's simple key value store functionality.

Most valuable post right here.

cstack.github.io/db_tutorial/
github.com/h2database/h2database
but there is no reason to use to in real world