This is the ideal DE

You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like

>Tfw Just about to make thread to bitch about how crap Stretch is.

Literally just did a re-install from Wheezy.

Fucking terrible. Sudo isn't installed, the touchpad doesn't work and I'll need to edit source.list (Which, guess what? Permission denied)

Jesus I hate this shit

>peak performance
>Taking your hand off the keyboard and wasting time to touch a mouse

These are ideal DEs

>peak performance
>not i3

WEW

>winfag

>what is su

SLE classic

gnome-classic-shell without the double panels

> image being at computers

Who gives a fuck what is on the screen when you still have to use your hands to interact with the computer.

I don't even use my dock on macos why would you on loonix, surely theres some equivalent to spotlight

That looks more like peak untidiness

these all look like shit
mac os master race

xfce is okay. doesnt have its own bluetooth manager though, so a distro needs to customise it before it's useful on desktops.

GNOME
N
O
M
E

You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

>no dvorak option
heh

Honestly, the linux DEs are so fucking shit I'm now forcing myself to learn i3.
They're that fucking bad

I think LXDE & XFCE are okay.

GNOME was good back in 2000-2010s, why did they fuck it up so bad?

KDE had always been kind of buggy and heavy.

Tiling desktop managers/terminal programs I think only work well if you are using a laptop on the go and don't need a mouse, they take way too long to setup and configure and you need to learn a fuck ton of keyboard shortcuts to be productive. If you are coding 90% of the day I get it, but otherwise mostly a gimmick.

KDE is lighter than gnome atm.

just install arc-theme and you're pretty much done

I haven't used gnome or kde since 2011 so I wouldn't really know.

What's the default RAM usage of either of them right now?

Budgie is pretty comfy if you want XFCE but flashier

Spacesavers are better

>fuckton of keyboard shortcuts
That's what I thought at first too but turns out you need like 10 (start program finder, move windows etc.) and most of them make sense so it's not that difficult. Not to mention you set most of them yourself

Budgie is another shitty gnome fork. I wish gnome could get their shit together, but they won't.

if i remember right it was roughly something like kubuntu 500mb vs fedora 800mb

lenovo pls

If it works for you that's cool, but I think it's going backwards too far. It will also never be standardized, you also end up jumping around a lot, in a couple of years you'll be using X instead of Y, and on to Z. Most people who are using tiling environments tend to spend quite a lot of time customizing versus actually doing something productive from what I have seen.

The ability to launch stuff and move files around in a split second is cool or do some specific function on the fly, but it can be done via shortcuts or specialized programs with a single click or two anyways.

Most people who seem to get carpel tunnel are the ones using their keyboard too much anyways, at least it was the case in the late 90s.

I grew up at the time when we were moving from cli to gui, and at that actual time there was very few people who said cli is the future. Everyone understood that the move to gui was important to make computers more accessible and easier to use. In gui you don't need to remember that much, it's all visual.

XFCE is nice but ascension is when you realize a tiling WM makes more sense than XFWM.

I'm not that much of a fan it either, but my current reasoning to use it is

>

OP thats not budgie

Well we can agree on that.

It is pretty bad. The installer doesn't even comment out the CD as a repo and apt bitches about it being an unsigned repo. Also systemd. I literally switched to gentoo.

I like changing to greybird theme, removing the dock and switching to whisker menu but yeah xfce is the best.

What are you guys doing, it works on my machine(TM).

>Sudo isn't installed
Don't input a password for root when asked. The installer will automatically install sudo and give permissions to created user. Just read the instructions.

>the touchpad doesn't work
You probably need to install something.

>need to edit source.list (Which, guess what? Permission denied)
Guess what? It's a system file only writable by root. Of course you are denied permission. Use su.

>It is pretty bad. The installer doesn't even comment out the CD as a repo and apt bitches about it being an unsigned repo.
Never happened once during the 10s of installs I've done.

>You probably need to install something.
Why would anyone want a system that is incapable of doing that automatically?

Good god linux tards are delusional. People want shit to work.