/pcbg/ - PC Building General - Intel Housefire Edition

if you want help:
>Assemble parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560 - poverty-tier builds
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R5 1400 - If you need multithreading
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use, not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>VEGA
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 or Vega 56 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM, 3200 MHz is ideal

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor

Other urls found in this thread:

savantpcs.com/store/#PSUShrouds
pcpartpicker.com/list/Zrm7VY
outletpc.com/xc3967-msi-a320m-gaming-pro-desktop-motherboard-amd-chip.html
outletpc.com/eq9686-msi-b350-tomahawk-am4-amd-b350-sata-6gbs-hdmi-atx.html
amazon.com/gp/product/B01M2UUACN
pcpartpicker.com/list/Gvsvr7
pcpartpicker.com/list/rpNBCy
amazon.com/MG279Q-27-Inch-FreeSync-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B014X4U076
amazon.com/gp/product/B073GY89G5
amazon.com/EVGA-BRONZE-Warranty-Tester-100-B1-0600-KR/dp/B00EON40CS/
amazon.com/PG278QR-2560x1440-G-SYNC-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B017EVR2VM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1505135232&sr=1-1&keywords=27"+1440p+gsync&th=1
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/V79Rcc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

For that price, I absolutely would. That's a fantastic feature-set for the price.

See any issues here lads?

>Horribly expensive B350 motherboard
>Unknown clock speed RAM
>Shitty mouse
>Very shitty keyboard
>You will not need 144Hz at 1440p with a GTX 1080. Get a cheaper 60z and put the money elsewhere.

And for the love of christ, use pcpartpicker

>not 4x4GB
Pretty sure you can use QC with Ryzen, not that it's of any great benefit, but 32GB standard isn't for another 4-6 years or so.

Now if only Fry's actually honored their advertised free-shipping-over-$49 offer.

RAM is 3200MHz, tard. Read the model number. And the 144hz is a better investment than some pricey ass mouse. Gateron brown where it at, but Reds are okay.

>112.94
>expensive

>Horribly expensive B350 motherboard
So which one do I get?
>Unknown clock speed RAM
3200mhz. Says right there on the image m8.
>Shitty mouse
How so?
>Very shitty keyboard
Lad, I bought a £90+ Corsair keyboard quite literally a month ago and it's already broke.
I'll take my chances with this one.
>You will not need 144Hz at 1440p with a GTX 1080. Get a cheaper 60z and put the money elsewhere.
I was wanting to sample 144hz since everybody goes on about how you'll never go back from it. Probably hyperbole but still.

>Gateron brown where it at, but Reds are okay.
Unfortunately I'm pretty much locked into buying linear keys since I play shmups. Cherry reds usually being my go to but I thought I'd try these Gateron ones after my last 'good' keyboard bit the dust in under a month.

>See Corsair's Monster
>Realize I can get it for $33
>Check it
>No luxury features despite being a $70 case
>No PSU shroud
>Nothing to make up for looking like an abomination
>Shitty side-panel attachment

These guys make a PSU shroud for it.
savantpcs.com/store/#PSUShrouds

>Shroud is twice what the case is worth

The shrouds are all the same price no matter the case. makes sense to me since they DO have to make a profit and making a shroud to fit each case can't be easy or cheap, especially when you want repeatable manufacturing. But they make shrouds for other more expensive/popular cases.

Yeah, but what I was saying is that the case itself is a piece of shit with no redeeming values. I'm not buying the fucking thing. It's the chinsiest piece of garbage I've ever seen in the case market.

>build r5 1600 system telling myself ill stream, game and do video editing
>end up just watching Japanese cartoons and shitposting on it

I wouldn't say I have buyers remorse but goddamn building a pc is more fun than actually using it

Is this good for productivity and 1440p gaymen?

I'm a web developer who is also interesting in video editing. I would like a 4K monitor with IPS to have a lot of space to work with. Critique my build.

Why the fuck would you have 1050 for 4k? You need AT LEAST a 1060 for things related to 4k tasks. Also, 8gb ram seems a bit lacking if you're going to do heavy editing.

Nigs, I need your help quite badly actually.
Take a look at right here.

Is there any way I can shave off and downgrade some stuff to pick up a 1080ti instead of the 1080 I have there?

The current 1080 I have on that list is £593.85. I need an extra £100ish to upgrade that shit to a 1080ti.

I've took off the fan and the mouse mat and added in the bit extra I have in the bank, which puts me at £52. Can you lads cut some corners for me on some of the other equipment? Maybe the mother board? Maybe the cooler? Maybe the SSD? I dunno, do whatever I suppose.

Also I know it's stupid as fuck to ask considering I can't afford any yet and beggers can't be chooses, but which after market 1080tis should I be aiming for? Obviously I can't get the best ones but still.

Not gonna lie, trying to pair a 1080 with a ryzen 5 sounds silly, begging for a bottleneck. If your tight on money, try for another graphics card. The 1080 isn't meant for the mainstream anyways.

I just built an R3 1200 pc and have been playing games I previously couldn't for the last few days. It's a blast.

To get my CPU fan wire out of the way, I made it go around one of the mounting screws for the heatsing, but as a result there's a small spot where the wire touches the heatsink. Is it a problem? Should I just remove it from there and keep it ugly in the air? I don't really have other options to get it out of the way.
It's the stock Wraith Stealth cooler, so the cable is braided, and under load my temps never go above 65°C.

You're just talking out of your ass. A 1080 Ti with a 1600 is fine.

>Pretty sure you can use QC with Ryzen
no.

>Why the fuck would you have 1050 for 4k? You need AT LEAST a 1060 for things related to 4k tasks.
I was told that 4k display resolution is achievable now with iGPUs. I'll be editing video for 1080p 60fps. Is the 1050Ti not up to the task for that?

Also I listed 16GB RAM, not 8GB.

Buy from different sites instead of getting everything on Amazon.
Get a cheaper motherboard, cheaper case, cheaper cpu fan.
Also, do you already have a PSU and HDD?

Just use the stock CPU fan actually. $75 saved.

Going to build a pc based on ryzen cpu and with GTX 1080. Primary goal is gaming. Thus my question - if I use it for normal stuff + muh games, will I see ANY difference between 1600 and 1700?
And the most confusing topic - what motherboard? I read a lot and I am confused as fuck. Some say b350 is good for 1700, others say you can't overclock to 3.8 on b350. And among b350 there are so many of them. Some say Pro carbon is the king, others say msi is shit.
Anons, I believe in you, give me the top 3 best price/perf mobos that are not shit for 1600 and 1700. Both b350 and x370.

pcpartpicker.com/list/Zrm7VY
Anything I need to reconsider?

nice meme

>will I see ANY difference between 1600 and 1700?
No.
> others say you can't overclock to 3.8 on b350.
You can. Get a good board.
Only get X370 if you need the extra PCIe lanes or the extra ports.

No SSD?
Do you need the 1700?
I'd maybe get a PSU with a little more headroom if you plan on doing a big overclock. Although seeing you didn't buy an aftermarket cooler, you probably don't.

If I were you, I'd get an ssd first and then an HDD down the road if you couldn't afford both now. Since you'll want your system in the ssd, and if you were to get the hard drive first and ssd later, you'd have to install OS and everything again

Just my opinion tho, looks fine otherwise

>WD BLUE
>1050ti for 4k editing
>corsmeme psu
>logishit squekers

prettty nice build by friend 10/10 would buy

consider spending more on the case. also, add an SSD, 240GB minimum. current recommended SSDs are the Sandisk Ultra II, Samsung 850 Evo, and the Crucial MX300

>wlancard
I asume you will be gayman on this because of the 144hz?
If yes get an wlan card that supports ac(5GHz) because you gonna have micro stuttering on 2,4ghz in some games.
Get the Asus PCE-AC56 AC1300 its 50€ but its worth it, never had any lags because of wlan being to slow trough the wall with 5Ghz wlan

I want the 1700 to overclock it in the future (I'm not planning on upgrading anytime soon), for the PSU I still have 150 Watts to spare
Yes I can't afford both now and I will replace the HDD with a SSD (you have a point on the OS problem)
Is there any reason to spend more on the case, I will probably go with Samsung

Planning on getting a 1070 8gb 3.0 SC, what monitor should I pair with it?
Was looking at either 1080p 144hz/ 1440p 60hz but I know fuck all about monitors

You don't even know if you want 144Hz or not?

I'm not planning on gayming online so I want something cheap, but I will consider your opinion if I ever wanted to

Just search Google for differences and prices it took me 2 hours to understand what I need

Not really, I'm not l337 tryhard in FPS games which I play infrequently anyway, but I'm only on a 1680x1050 @ 60hz monitor at the moment so bumping up to 1080p seems a bit pointless if I'm not increasing the hz, but I'm not sure how well shit would go for how long on 1440p with a 1070

>get a good board
Which board is that?

1080p@hz144hz is more gpu taxing than 1440p@60hz. IMO it's always worth getting a higher refresh rate, 144hz to 60hz is what 60fps is to 30fps. it's not only for tryhard gaymers.

Between the two, which is better?

outletpc.com/xc3967-msi-a320m-gaming-pro-desktop-motherboard-amd-chip.html

outletpc.com/eq9686-msi-b350-tomahawk-am4-amd-b350-sata-6gbs-hdmi-atx.html

Need help /pcbg/
How is called this pin?
And how do I use?
Those only make short circuit the PC

The Tomahawk, no question. You can also consider the AsRock AB350 Pro4 if you're on a tighter budget and want something cheaper.

tomahawk, obviously. a320 doesn't let you to overclock.

Would this SSD be good for just holding the OS?amazon.com/gp/product/B01M2UUACN
amazon.com/gp/product/B01M2UUACN

What the others said. By the way,
>Msi B350 Tomahawk
>Was: $199.89
Those slimy liars, it's consistently 90-100 USD.
Isn't blatantly false advertising a crime in the US?

The top one is a 3 pin, bottom one is a molex. What are you trying to do and what are those wires coming out of?

Shit, there's also the TLC performance for $35 and I'm gonna buy that if it's okay.
Outlet does that alot, but most of the time they come with Rebates there anyways.

get 120gb one for like $15 more.

I wouldn't go below 120, it's what I have right now and it gets tight. 250 is ideal, 500 for rich people.

>1080
Fuck that, get a 1070 or a 1080ti. The 1080 is garbage price/performance.

pcpartpicker.com/list/Gvsvr7

rate me Sup Forums

it's for vidja.

Am I getting trolled?

will pc prices ever drop again?

no, first time building something
why?

why do so many people still buy intel right now? i swear im moving at least triple the intel cpus than amd ones

>Is there any reason to spend more on the case,
looks and a better building experience. A lot of the cheaper cases have sharp edges and out of spec holes. Generally, the golden spot for cases is between $70 and $100

That's a terrible build.
You don't need a sound card or a lan card.
You chose a locked CPU with a Z series motherboard.
You don't want to buy an Intel CPU.
That graphics card is terrible.
That power supply is trash and runs the risk of frying your pc.
You don't have an SSD.
You don't even have a case.

Start with something like this and add a monitor:
pcpartpicker.com/list/rpNBCy
(And an optical drive if you absolutely have to have one, but really you can do without)
Ideally I'd get a nicer case than this one, and probably spend a bit more on the motherboard and get 16GB of RAM, but I don't know your budget.

>Intel in 2017
>dedicated sound card
>everything said

READ THE FUCKING OP

I bought an i5-7500 just before Ryzen release and now Coffee Lake i5s will be 6-core.

Just fucking kill me holy shit.

I hope you weren't thinking of upgrading, because they need new motherboards too.

>buying a CPU right before a new release
I know the waiting meme isn't always right but seriously man, you're a retard.

where do you want your burial plot?

>2TB Seagate Drive
Ebin.

amazon.com/MG279Q-27-Inch-FreeSync-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B014X4U076

any reason not to get this monitor? no i dont want 4k i have a 1070 and would rather not run games at a lower than native resolution

And you can't even overclock it.

>no mention of pointless optical drive in 2017

A 1070 will struggle to maintain 144 fps at 1440p in modern games unless you turn the settings down.

>not reading posts in their entirety in 2017

ok? so should i got with 2 60hz 1440p monitors instead? i ant stick with these 1080p monitors and even if i do then ill have nothing to spend my tax returns on im already pulling things out of my ass with the monitors

what's wrong with it?

not just that, a dedicate soundcard that costs more than twice that of his psu

>I have money, I need to spend it on things I don't need right now!
Holy shit dude.

at least get one with gsync

This a good deal?
amazon.com/gp/product/B073GY89G5

Or this one.
amazon.com/EVGA-BRONZE-Warranty-Tester-100-B1-0600-KR/dp/B00EON40CS/

that one is 800 dollars
if i dont spend it on this ill end up spending it all on food and steam games and other junk i have no reason to save it

ie amazon.com/PG278QR-2560x1440-G-SYNC-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B017EVR2VM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1505135232&sr=1-1&keywords=27"+1440p+gsync&th=1

>that one is 800 dollars
you're literally complaining about not being able to spend your tax return but $800 is too much? put it in the fucking bank you nigger.

If he has an AMD card, that wouldn't do him any good.

Are you 12 years old or something? Did your parents not teach you how to deal with money?

>pretty much twice the price for one feature

ill pass

why would i save it when i have no reason to? i have a rule that tax refunds are spent on fun things in the first place the only exception being outstanding bills which i have none of at this point

>i have a 1070

if you get a high hz monitor and don't get the appropriate adaptive frame sync tech you're a fucking retard, it's not just "one feature". Do you buy everything based on the number of marketing bulletpoints on the front of the box?

>no reason to
>save

moronic.

this entire threadline is moronic.

goodbye.

what purpose could saving this possibly have?

financial security for one

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/V79Rcc

looking for just gaming

That's literally what saving money is. Come on dude.

i already have that

like i said no outstanding bills stop raining on my parade

Budget? Monitor?

monitor is an aoc agon from a friend. budgets about $1800. wanna stay under to get a new keyboard and mouse too.

What are the resolution and refresh rate of the monitor? The brand won't change anything about the build.

can you recommend me some good, cheap case that doesn't look completely retarded like I stole it from a preteen transformers fanboi bedroom.
something similar to nzxt s340, but preferable for around half the price

Bumping for this.

Those wires are coming from the fan already in the case,
I wanna use the fans control but make the computer short circuit

nothing, he's retarded

Forgot the pic

its way too fucking expensive to be worth it, for what could you possible need such a huge fucking ssd

You only need to use one or the other. The normal plug is the 3 pin one, it should go somewhere on your motherboard marked CHA_FAN or something like that, for chassis fan. (The plug on the motherboard may have 4 pins, but this is fine.)
The molex plug is for old systems or if for some reason you don't have a chassis fan connector available on the motherboard. You wire that directly with a molex from the power supply, and it makes the fan spin, but without any control.