What the fuck are PCIe lanes?

What the fuck are PCIe lanes?

inb4 i tried googling and youtube but every video on youtube is a guy talking a lot of non sense bullshit for 20 minutes without going straight to the fucking point, please help it's for college!

fuck off and do your own homework

Individual serial communication lines. They can be grouped for asynchronous use, or used one per device if that provides enough throughput.

how am i supposed to do shit if my teacher just go and tell us to do something that he didn't even told us what it is?

college was a fucking mistake, idk why i decided to get in, fuck...

Communication highway for your information cars.

??

How does drifting work, senpai?

It's a Highway for the Info Trucks that come out of your PCI-E factories into the CPU supermarket you nigger.

[remember to sage anons]
you're a fucking faggot, watch a 20min video or stay dumb, the question is literally too stupid to ask and this is not your personal tech wiki

Ok, i think i got the idea. but where are the lanes located exactly?

In the metaverse

Sup Forums doesn't know, hence the defensive non-answers

>how am i supposed to do shit if my teacher just go and tell us to do something that he didn't even told us what it is?
That's the kind of proactive problem solving attitude that's expected from a competent adult, not a burger flipper, that college tries to teach you.

Here, because I'm feeling nice today.
Take a very good look at this image.

so lanes is just another word for a bus?

yeah, the image displays bus.
From my understanding the lanes are just parallel bus wires.
They can be used at the same time so that you can transfer not only 1 bit but 2x 8 bit or 1x 16 bit.
These busses are as short as possible and allow for huge transfer rates, compared to USB and stuff like that.

Another image supporting this

thanks guys :)

ok, so a lane is just a pair of wires which allows it to send and receive bits in the same cycle, and they can be grouped like buses

well PCe 3.0 can send 1GBps per lane and has 16 of those.
Additionally, each lane is basically made out of 2 wires, so you can send and receive on them at the same time.
This adds up to 1GBps * 16 lanes * 2 directions = 32 GBps.
Yeah, pretty sure a PCI lane is just a form of bus between the CPU and the PCIe slots on your motherboard, and whatever you plug into that like a GPU.
It is extremely fast because they are directly connected to the CPU.

Buses don't drift

here
yeah that's pretty much it