/lgbt/ Libreboot General Thread

Welcome to /lgbt/ Libreboot is the Greatest BIOS Thread!
Beginners feel free to ask questions!

More info about the project:
libreboot.org/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libreboot
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=libreboot

Helpful resources:
Flashing the X60 internally (easy)
youtube.com/watch?v=1K5jo9gk9LQ

Flashing the X200/T400 externally (advanced)
youtube.com/watch?v=CyxgYnOcsTw

So Sup Forums why haven't you installed the only BIOS that actually respects your freedom, privacy, and human rights by using no proprietary firmware and disables the Intel (NSA backdoor) ME?

>inb4 the dev is a tranny and drama queen
That's a red herring and has no bearing on the project
The dispute with GNU was resolved several months ago
youtube.com/watch?v=FQCwYAhZnQg

>inb4 no compatible system
You can literally get a ThinkPad X200 for $50 on ebay

>inb4 no beaglebone/pi for external flashing
You can get an X60 for internal flashing or use a Libreboot flashing service (about $50) on ebay for X200/T400

>inb4 that hardware is ancient
An X200 will pretty much do anything besides "muh gaymin" plus there are some descent mobo's that support Libreboot for an Intel or AMD desktop system (see below)

Compatible Laptops/Boards:
Server boards: Asus KFSN4-DRE and Asus KGPE-D16
Desktop boards: Asus KCMA-D8, Intel D510MO, Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L, and Apple iMac 5,2
Laptops: Asus Chromebook C201, Lenovo ThinkPad X60/X60s, Lenovo ThinkPad X60 Tablet, Lenovo ThinkPad T60 (some exceptions), Lenovo ThinkPad X200, Lenovo ThinkPad R400, Lenovo ThinkPad T400, Lenovo ThinkPad T500, Apple MacBook 1.1, and Apple MacBook 2.1

Other urls found in this thread:

p1trson.blogspot.sk/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Quite a lot of effort to go to considering I don't have CP.

Models T400/T500 can be upgraded with a T9900 processor.

Also some user said X220 model might be available near the end of the year.

t. CIAnigger

Yes, it will be. That's word I got from Leah.

Is there libre for the x220 yet?
Aka i5 uhhh Sandy bridge (I think, posting from phone)

End of the year is the expected ETA

have already librebooted a x200 and T500 and they are awesome.
would recommend it to everyone

Hi five user :D glad you're in the libreboot club

Still waiting for an Odroid flashing guide, or a comparative at least

What about T60?

Can you flash the T420 internally? Probably not, right?

I'll never use Libreboot because of the dev.

You are SJW yourself

T9900 isn't worth it, everywhere I look it's too damn expensive

That's what I get for being a German, but X9100 are cheap tho

I never said anything about the dev being an SJW; I merely stated that I won't use Libreboot because of the dev. I said nothing about my motives.

possible as long as it has a supported screen and as long as it isnt one with an ATI GPU check libreboot.org

p1trson.blogspot.sk/

If you do research, Libreboot on any i-series device is impossible without major hardware modifications and reverse-engineering. The "pre-order" of X220's was a ploy to obtain money that would go toward the project, or perhaps someone's own finances. People who wasted their money on that venture can either receive a refund, or a legitimate Libreboot device. Information on why a X220 Libreboot port being an impossibility is listed on the Libreboot website (Pic related), so I don't understand why people keep spreading this rumor.

By the way, Leah, the person who operates Minifree, and was previously the head of the project, has zero skills in hardware modification. The person who would be modifying and selling a device running this X220 port has no idea how to do anything related to hardware modification. Yes, really.

They don't work with Libreboot, unfortunately.

You realize you're citing the current Libreboot FAQ? That section will be modified once they have the X220 ready at the end of the year.

If you knew the way Intel has implemented the ME into their hardware, you would realize that the documentation needs no updating. I hope you aren't basing your assumptions on recent published discoveries involving the ME's configuration.

Anyone using C201 with GNU/Linux? How is it?

I'm basing my """assumption""" on a recent conversation I had with Leah. You have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm basing my knowledge on facts and conversations with people who actually know what they're doing among the Libreboot project, and aren't mentally ill to the extent that they have to pretend they're not what they actually are, as well as plunge a project as important as Libreboot into a laughingstock among the Free Software movement. Please do realize that Leah no longer speaks for the project, his actions are only for his financial gain, and you're a fool to trust what he has to say. It's a wonder he's even allowed to further contribute to the project.

Do you have any proof to back this up? Because I've got multiple sources saying that the ignition firmware will be disabled. I realize that Leah stepped down as lead dev, but as far as I know she's still on the project. Also, why are you not using her preferred pronoun?

youre like a nigger on a unicycle

The evidence is there, I've already stated my reasoning. Nothing is impossible, and if there's enough demand something will come on the front of a X220 port. However, given the people currently at the front of the project, that outcome is very unlikely in the near future. Or ever, honestly. Just don't be too surprised when these promises you keep hearing aren't fulfilled.

We'll see. If it doesn't happen, I'll still be perfectly happy with my trusty X200

>I'll never use Libreboot because of the dev.
What's wrong with the dev?

she's transgender and has suffered from a coke addiction in the past
I personally don't care, the project is amazing and is basically the only FOSS BIOS on the planet which allows users to have a truly free computing experience that respects their privacy, freedom, and fundamental human rights

Don't believe his lies

Why not coreboot?

Still has proprietary firmware in it. Libreboot is 100% libre.

>Asus Chromebook C201

ARM. No proprietary firmware.

Why not coreboot?

thanks

Stop being SJW yourself

I don't have a C201, I use Thinkpads. If you have C201 and the coreboot rom doesn't contain proprietary firmware, then by all means use coreboot. I personally support libreboot because it's part of the FOSS community.

no problem senpai

>no propriety software drivers
How to do this without screen tearing and flickering?

I don't have any screen tearing or flickering on my X200 with libreboot

Well I guess it depends on the hardware.