Ok guys, is Electron really that bad?

Ok guys, is Electron really that bad?

Yes, proton is way more positive desu senpai

If your project runs really bad in VSCode, then find another option

No, it's great.
I love atom, just werks. Who cares about 2 seconds additional startup time?

OP here.

The reason why I'm asking is because someone from my company asked me to do a "organization app" specifically for my company.

Did they give you specifics about what needs to be in it?

No, just that it needs to work. That's all

It's okay for certain tasks. But it's either overkill or not enough in most cases.

Use your judgment.

Gtk/Qt are stuck in 1996, only use them if your program needs to run on PCs with the computing power of a TI calculator

And that the people who use it don't need to know how to program - the application should run fine for a few years. I've intended to do this with SQL because the application should also be able to add/remove people from projects, absences, and so on.

Sounds like your run of the mill enterprise application.

Can't you just do a light client?

>sets custom fonts
>can't change them
>chromium
Yes, it's shit.

Prototype in js with electron, develop something better using qt.

"Lol just make it werk"
I hate this fucking philosophy. Give me DIRECTION.

> light client
Dunno what you mean by this.

Same. See Basically:
The program will be an organization tool for my company. The administration needs to be able to add and remove people by their names, email addresses, phone number, and so on. Ever single person will have a role assigned to them, like, when they started to work for the company.
Also, when we click on a person, a small profile should come up. We should see the email, phone number and so on from the person. The program needs to be able to create other roles, for example, we should see on which projects the person is currently working on. This would make the life of the administration much simpler.

That's just a small fraction of what the program needs to be able to do.

>not being able to think for yourself
lol Sup Forums autists never change

Essentially you most enterprise software is fine as a web application.
Makes maintenance, development and updates easier.

Unless it's actually a boon to run shit on the user's machine, don't bother with that.

I'd make this a web application if possible.

not if you don't use a mac and you like menu bars, from a user point of view

yea and who cares that it block IO of your whole OS, just little details that make it work bad, only haters and emacs fags hate it.

>blocks io for entire os
are you retarded thats not how any of this works

C++ for the logic stuff and then node-ffi with electron to make the GUI.

Just werks

there are more lightweight alternatives to electron that use browsing engines that come with the os rather that piece of shit chromekit. also, electron has a bunch of API's that aren't necessary i.e. fucking status bar icon shit

I use mac and electron is awesome, I build 3 apps for the last month that I sold to companies, an actual enterprise-shit apps.

top kek

I just wanted to say that if the project is gonna be large, it will get messy and you will get tired if you don't plan before writing a line of code.
Will you design the app interfaces too?
Time to embrace Typescript, DRY, KISS, SOLID, YAGNI, etc...

Despite being "Web" it doesn't take advantage of the web browser that is already open. Thus:
>is slow
>eats all the ram
>shit

lmfao this
anyone knows what do i have to edit on the open source electron apps to hide this? i use a couple and its gets annoying

very interesting user. Could you share some good resources apart from their docs to learn it?
Also where do you sell them?

>Empty project
>minimum binary size: 64MB

It's really bad.

It may be fine for prototyping, but releasing electron code to consumers makes you a bad engineer.

>b-but all I know is javascript!
Good engineers learn the right tools. Bad engineers do the job with the wrong tools. Using web technologies to write desktop software for consumers makes you a bad engineer.

And then the shills would keep spouting
>hurr durr you can't afford HDD poorfag BTFO hurr

I know it's bloaty but if I had to randomly make a desktop app right now I would probably use it.

ayy

The only electron application I've liked was discord. It's hard to get its use case right I think. Good for some things though for sure.

Maybe good if you just need to slap something together.

Just use QtQuick

Do any of the electron based editors run on ARM?

Oh. Nevermind.

>Who cares about 2 seconds additional startup time?
Now try opening 5 windows and do actual work in them, nigger.
Or do you only work as a webshit?

Seconding this. Make a web app (make it responsive, so people can use it on mobile if they need to) and write back end in whatever language you feel comfortable with. Electron doesn't make sense in this particular situation.

Electron is amazing

But your picture shows atom, what do you mean?

It's like asking if qt is good or not but showing the picture of kde (it's a shithole)

Why wouldn't they?

(well, it would be "crawl" rather than "run")

QML is better, but web stack is more popular

Will Electron be replaced by Rust+Servo in the future?

no. I use vscode daily and I'm getting ready to release an electron desktop app on linux/mac/win
don't listen to worthless nodev opinions

that's like 1/8th of one flac album

>c++
nah thanks. I prefer to write actual functionality instead of fighting with crappy syntax, segfaults and waiting for shit to compile