/bsd/ general

So how are you enjoying your BSD setups Sup Forums?

BTW, anyone encountered synaptics touchpad freezes in FreeBSD?

Other urls found in this thread:

cooltrainer.org/a-freebsd-desktop-howto/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

"touchpad" means you are on "a laptop" which was made after "1995" which means we pretend that it doesn't exist. you aren't allowed in to our secret IRC channel with that.

How is font rendering on FreeBSD? Is it good out of the box? A lot of shitty defaults in Linux generally have got me thinking about BSD. Also do the major BSDs like Dragonfly and Free and Net share a lot of code? It would be nice to switch and not have to deal with something totally different.

macOS is the only good bsd

I use FreeBSD on my storage server (muh ZFS), how is it on the desktop?

>3 firewalls
>4 shells
>2 package managers
why is freebsd doing this?

freedom bruh
don't like one, use the other

Why should I use bsd over linux? What's in it for the average ricer fag like me?

if you need to ask this question user you know what the answer is
don't go looking for reasons, let them come to you

You just have to install some fonts to use. I didn't change any defaults if i remember correctly and fonts look good. But that might be just me, I don't have high standards.

So you can freely choose.
And AFAIK there is 1 package manager (pkgng) + ports.

The desktop situtation is well....complicated :)
You can fully use it as desktop but I takes time to configure it properly. There is one great tutorial I can recommend.

cooltrainer.org/a-freebsd-desktop-howto/

I am using it because I wanted to start contributing to some OS and BSD has complete kernel + userland in one repository. And AFAIK FreeBSD has better documentation than linux. And ofc the init, if that's your thing.

>install some fonts
noto-cjk is must-have

Holy ...
You don't need that much configuration even in Gentoo just to get a desktop environment.

As someone who never used Linux nor BSD (working with 3DCG since forever so I always had to use Windows), how do I choose between both and how do I get started? Any guide would be helpful.

for beginners to these kinds of system, use linux

Well, you don't have to configure everything but FreeBSD is a general purpose OS so that the user is responsible for its configuration.

i never understood why you keep posting this shit

did an entire IRC channel gangbang you or what

Post wp pls

here you go

>FreeBSD is a general purpose OS
nah, it's a server OS.
You can use it on the desktop but why would you want to? It's worse than GNOO/Linox (which is also useless on the desktop) in every way.
Do you hate Stallman this much?

also to answer your question OP, you should probably post what kind of trackpad you're using

alright pajeet

I am using it on laptop just fine, the only thing that is missing is hibernation support. I am coming from Arch and at first i just wanted to try BSD to be edgy. But after using it for a while it really grew on me. I really like the way it is configurable and that most of the things are done using human readable shell scripts.

Also also, I am running arch in bhyve, which I cannot recommend enough.

Synaptics PS/2 touchpad (with separate buttons/not clickpad)

nice resolution

Thanks user
Love you man

>1366x768
>i5 2xxx
>8GB RAM

wew