/hpg/ Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Rt-m6C5-T0M
youtube.com/watch?v=CfYk5KAyrrA
youtu.be/AbckldG1y-0
youtube.com/watch?v=lJc2wiYj4-o
youtube.com/watch?v=BSqYgIHgqFI
soundcloud.com/galimatias/galimatias-ocean-floor-kisses
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The snapping truth

What kind of mong would own expensive headphones and stretch them out to the point of snapping? I stretched mine over books that were way wider than a human head and they didn't come close to snapping. What superior headphones do you own friend?

Idol trash here.
What's your pizza like, user?

When you compare the HD 600 to the HE400i and you see that that mess.

The Aeons are finally here.

Dominoes? I fucking love chicken but not on a pizza for some reason. I prefer more savory meats on them like sausage and ham etc.

I'm fucking hungry.

How long did it take you to realize that the Apple Dual-Driver IEMs are the best IEMs below 200 USD for the price of only 30 USD?

What are you driving them with and how's the sound? What other headphones were you using?

I'm a 600 owner.

Nobody fucking cares anymore.

You know how I take measurements?

Yeah, w/HD600 and schiit uber stack. Also das keyboard 4 ultimate (mx browns).
It's the texas bbq. I do like it and tend to order it, although not all the time, as I slowly am trying all the preset pizzas they have.

Hi jelly, how you doin?

rest of my schiit. Also have ath-msr7 not pictured. Thinking about getting a tube amp sooner or later for comparisons sake.

now why it posted upside down, I dont know

t.Jocquise

>
You were saying?

What cable? I know that the jack is pretty generic so I'm guessing they're a random cable from ebay? looks nice though. I have a custom shortened version of the 650 cable on my 600's.

the cable plugged in there is actually from the aeons. It's the only part I'm not that happy about, it feels a little weak and unrefined, especially when it splits. I'm thinking about possibly ordering a custom cable.

I use the base cable for the 650's just btw, I like the length of it,

>poorly sealed

[citation needed]

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

Don't you mean
>What is the second best headphone behind the HD650?
instead?
Anyways, the HD600

DT880.

That's not the Etymotic MK5.
Even assuming that's an accurate measurement, which it clearly isn't, that's a terrible measurement. No fucking upper mids.

>which it clearly isn't
See >No fucking upper mids
>says user judging by the graph he previously said was a terrible measurement
So? Which one is it?

Either is accurate and it is terribly melanin-enriched or is accurate and it has no fucking upper mids. Either way, it's shit.

>no fucking upper mids
You happy now?

Ah I see.

The 650. Now please stop.

What's your point? HF5 is vastly inferior to MK5 and not something I'd ever recommend, HF5 doesn't have enough upper mids and that shows the Apples as having 3 dB less upper mids than the already deficient HF5.

>gets aeon and posts pic
>no first impressions
what the fuck is wrong with you user

>pic
BTFO

>measurably darker than the already dark HF5
So... it's shit.

Here I am like a fucking cuck with my 600's listening to the same shit everyday on my spotify premium list.

Recommend me something nice to listen to. I like anything, as long as it's good. I don't like most rock music, and no, my name isn't tyrese

Recommend anything from beethoven to the latest rap meme. I'm picky and I need new songs.

Yes, the Apples are very strongly BTFO there. Good observation.

Guys, just in case, do NOT bully ! He's blind, it's not his fault he was born like this :(

>spotify
Found your problem.

>raw

Jelly, why you meming?

Jelly a cute

Raw measurements are much more useful than shitty retard independent of direction compensated measurements.

Where can I get a shorter cable for my HD600s? There was a drop on Massdrop with replacement cables for major models, but some guy in the discussion said they were awful quality, so I kind of steered clear of that. The stock cable is extremely long, which isn't really something I need with my setup, although the option is nice.

Amazon has shitty $20 cables of varying lengths that work just fine.

Just let a loop of it hang behind your desk, or shorten it by some other natural means. You don't really need a shorter cable, only cable management.

I have other sources, but spotify is actually good.

>Apples are very strongly BTFO there
[citation needed]

Raw is way better to use in cases like these. Also, never trust a compensated graph on it's own unless you compare it to another headphone you have already listened to, and even then it's arguable.

Because the Apple IEMs seem like a miracle.

My amp is up on my desk. I really only need like a 3ft cable.

So is mine, and right in front of me. And yet, I have no "excess" HD600 cable. I do simply let it hang behind my monitor and then up again at the other side of the monitor's base, then from the monitor it goes hang again on the left of my desk, and then up again to me. If I need more/less slack, I just adjust where in the left of the desk it loops.

My cable goes to the floor, and sometime I drape part of it across my lap. I can't really imagine why you're putting it on your desk. I guess that gets it out of the way, but it seems unnatural.

>I guess that gets it out of the way
It does. And the cable never goes anywhere near the chair thanks to that.
I suggest to experiment a bit.

Yeah, I guess I'll try a few things. Thanks.

Just braid your cables you autistic fucks.

What do you mean?

youtu.be/Rt-m6C5-T0M

I'm sorry that you can't read graphs.

Huh. That seems bad for the cable, but I guess it's a neat idea.

It's no big deal. I've done it with a bunch of cables, as long as you don't make the bends too tight it won't damage the cable and the friction will be more than enough to hold it in place.

RECOMMEND SOME FUCKING SONGS.

Weeb shit, pop shit. Anything.

Hanson - MMMBop

youtube.com/watch?v=CfYk5KAyrrA

As for first impressions, they obviously sound incredible. I put the foam pads in to help with the bass response, and unlike the 650's, the closed back nature of the aeon's helps me to "feel" the bass more, while at the same time the bass has never been overwhelming, and sometimes even feels slightly recessed

Like many of the reviews say, the are incredible at perceiving details (and errors) in songs where I had never really noticed them before. It's sort of like a double edged sword - well produced tracks sound absolutely incredible, however poorly produced tracks are more noticeable as the errors do not have a warm sound signature to hide behind.

I would say that they have a relatively balanced signature, with a slight emphasis on treble, especially on things like high-hats and the like.

Soundstage is fine. Nothing incredible, but that is to be expected from closed back headphones. Imaging is incredible however. I can hear exactly where each instrument is coming from, and every instrument seems to have a direction. Not muddy at all.

Comfort is insane. Super soft pads make the headphones feel incredibly light on my head. They are light overall, something that is hard to do with planar magnetics.

Overall 9.5/10, wish there was a little more sub bass, but not a big issue. Also not a big fan of the stock cable.

Go grab the new Kitty album. Miami Garden Club.

Cowboy Bebop OST

youtu.be/AbckldG1y-0

That should keep you busy:
youtube.com/watch?v=lJc2wiYj4-o

Johnny Rebel

>little more sub bass,
planars do just fine when you have a good seal and subbass boost them

youtube.com/watch?v=BSqYgIHgqFI

any slightly warmer alternatives to the Etymotics HF5 for a similar or cheaper price?

I don't really want to eq them if I dont have to. never been a big fan of that.

I watched that vid not long ago. That's fucking weird. I completed number 2 and 3 on my retro pie a few weeks ago for the first time ever. I only ever played the first as a kid for some reason. They're some of the best games ever.

Idk, soundgardens stuff?

t.plebeian
All headphones can benefit from proper EQ. To not EQ is to be lazy and ignorant.

literally just preamp by -5db, add +5db 60hz, try it

here, boost this: soundcloud.com/galimatias/galimatias-ocean-floor-kisses

Just tried them, didn't like them at all. I'm not really a rock/metal guy but I like some stuff. I like a couple of ozzy songs and not much else. "close my eyes forever" is one of them, mostly for ozzy's part. Rock is like anime to me. Thee's some great struf but 95% of it is cheesy as fuck.

Idk do you like synth pop?

Holy ghost!
Telepathe
School of seven bells
Chvrches

Alt-metal?

Primus

I now like Clearest blue by Chvrches. I know you don't like the 600 but that song sounds great with them

>Ask this shit ass general which DAC will get rid of noise on my monitors
>You manlet idiots say literally anyone on Amazon including cheap $20 ones
>I buy a cheap $20 one
>Same result as onboard audio

Thanks

Is the installgentoo website a thing like exhentai? It's always down when I try to get on it

This is the headphone general. You may have missed that.

It's your monitors then, probably the amplifiers in them. Literally that's the only plausible explanation.

No worries enjoy. Also check out ice choir and m83

Are these are bad as people make them out to be? To me they seem to have been overshadowed by the 800s and since the 600s is so popular nobody cares about the 700s. Their price is OK and not as outlandish as the 800s (not to mention the 800 S).

The frequency response seems to be pretty good. Similar to the 800s but perhaps less refined and more treble happy. A good eq could make wonders though.

the jds lab's dac is an affordable dac that has a very low noise floor, and it's 32 bit but who gives a fuck about that

>A good eq could make wonders though.
it has resonance which can't really be fixed with eq, you need to stitch on some new pads

The only thing that cause really loud noise are the amplifiers.

Doesn't the regular 800 suffer from that too?

Are those cheap adhesive hanger things on ebay actually functional?

yes but the hd700 it is caused by the reflections off the inner side of the padding, the hd800 has a reflection near the driver which is fixed with the super dupont mod that cancels out the resonance

It turns out that the DAC I bought literally lied in the description and answered questions section about the functionality that I required with my setup. I found this through Google which lead me to a thread of someone suffering something similar.

I apologize to this kind general for my hurtful words that were made out of uneducated haste.

Will do, thanks.

Soccer is a great EP. Check out Float down the Liffey, more emo, but still very good.

No need to apologize friend.

Have you tried to isolate the problem? Run the monitors as the only thing plugged in to your wall, use a cell phone or something battery powered as your audio source and keep adding components until the noise starts.

Answer please

>like exhentai
kek
No, it's probably just down a lot.

t. draykawnza