Do Europeans ever tear down old boy?

Do Europeans ever tear down old boy?

In America if you see a building in a picture from the 40s, 90% chances are that building is gone.

Other urls found in this thread:

iqc.ou.edu/2014/12/12/60yrsmidwest/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Would you like me to dump?

Pls no, I can't handle it.

No, but I really think we should raze commies blocks and start again.

Why would you destroy something like that ? Stupid burgers, you could even pretend you have an history.

you people even tear down new buildings

America looked so much better back then

Its mostly done in cities like NYC where real estate is far too precious to everything to be kept. If you look at places like Buffalo a lot of the industrial buildings that were originally there are still there and look somewhat nice. In NYC they designate a certain amount of buildings from an area as historic and they can't be torn down or removed although sometimes people find a way to still use the space (for example one building that was designated only had the exterior designated due to infamous New York bueraucracy, some guy just literally tore down the insides and build a building INSIDE of the other one

In Hong Kong if you see a building in a picture from the 60s, there's a 90% chance that building is gone

Today, the city portrayed in this picture has a murder rate 10x the national average and the local firefighters are so poor that "new" boots have holes in them.

The process of urban renewal was met with a lot of protest but was ultimately done for the greater economic good.

There was a photo of an old vs new post office, destroyed my heart when I saw it

Unlike us you don't even have the excuse of not enough space, America is dumbfuckingly huge

Honestly we should just destroyed all ugly buildings all arround the world and replace them with aesthetically pleasing/environment friendly things

We do tear shit down all the time.
The only stuff that is kept is what is considered to have artistic value, or be the last of its kind. Otherwise we'd have run out of space by the 70s, nevermind today.

That is nothing to be proud of. It is unfortunate how certain countries, mine included, have no respect for their heritage.

>replace them with aesthetically pleasing/environment friendly things
You know why this doesn't happen?

Construction is one of the most corrupt fields, especially in France.

>>Honestly we should just destroyed all ugly buildings all arround the world and replace them with aesthetically pleasing/environment friendly things
cute, I would support this

>the greater economic good

Have you even considered tourism, or simple quality of life ? One of the reasons downtown Paris is so popular is because of no skyscrappers here.

>Honestly we should just destroyed all ugly buildings all arround the world and replace them with aesthetically pleasing/environment friendly things
Good luck getting people to agree on what is aesthetically pleasing Pierre.

Tearing down old stone buildings and replacing them with glass and concrete blocks triggers me hard.

tbqh people from all over the world agree that social housing from the 1940s to the 1980s especially are just plain ugly. There's not even a debate there

AHAHHAHAAAHAH

Commies blocks are a start. Skyscrappers in historical town (looking at London) another.

Just Haussman your shit up with elements of local folklore, can't go wrong.

>social housing from the 1940s to the 1980s especially are just plain ugly
You'd be surprised, we've got quite a few real nice buildings here. But yeah they're mostly utter fucking shit.
Still I was talking about what was gonna be built in their place. Regardless of the style you choose, you're gonna make someone mad as all fucks.

>live in LA
>Play LA Noire
>game is suppose to be an accurate recreation of 1947 Los Angeles
>Don't recognize any of the buildings besides the few landmarks

Boy LA sure was better before they tore down all the buildings and built all the freeways and strip malls.

You could walk to a store as it would be infront of your housein 1947 unlike today where you need to drive to which can take half an hour.

europe has history

>tear shit down
Only in Padania. And only when there's some Expo.

Posting interesting picture:
NY, 1905

That's just because you never build anything down south.

Police in Beverly Hills, California circa 1950.

Damn america used to look like a normal country back then

Why Merricans tear shit down and build bigger terrorist targets rather than using the fuckload of wasted land they have and they are not using?
Italy is a little bigger than Florida/a little smaller than California, yet it has more population than Florida+California
And we are nowhere near to the population density you crave in Jew York, California and the like
We barely have skyscrapers in the major metropolis
What is wrong with you
I can understand Hong Kong, they have territorial constraints
I may understand Dubai as well
But ffs colonize your own shit merrica
true

They look like military

This is how they looked in 1947 in France

Funny how this city still looks like it's stuck in the 19th century because it's in the poorest state in the union so they can't afford new shit.

USA has been militarised for a long time.

Police in NYC apartment. Occupants consisted of two immigrant families.

>Skyscrappers in historical town (looking at London)
yeah people would just love to do that won't it?

In the Netherlands unmaintained buildings get closed and removed very quickly.

Before

After

This is ugly. Displace the buildings in another place like we did in La Défense.

Yes, in germany old buildings are nazi and should be destroyed.

>Acropolis

Are you greek user ?

As much as I generally agree with you (Brussels is fucking horrendous when it comes to it, to the point that the term Brusselization means fucking the whole town with high rise buildings up), London just looks GOAT tier, like a cyberpunk town. The classicist buildings mixed with the actually often good looking skyscrapers and the building lights give the city a really nice touch.

I am Anglo.

We disagree on this, I prefer all buildings to have the same height with difference in stonework and decorations.

Haussmanian boulevards look just GOAT, too bad we didn't left a little bit of Old Paris though.

La Défense is also quite beautiful in its own right.

Well what do you expect from a city that got absolutely assblasted by bombing. If you don't like the buildings of today you should probably blame the nazis

we do this Pierre, the problem is that for many situations you need to have building that have certain purposes in certain places or you will hurt your business and also our cities are already getting so absurdly sprawly for their population that its becoming hard to get around.

I think it's a new world thing
For some reason we hate history

WHY IS THIS DESTROYED

All I see in my life is dreary horrible commieblocks and pathetic attempts at architecture and then you cunts destroy this for some gigabiga 99999 metre glass dildo fucking burgers

It's actually industrial hubris.

Rebuild like original, my hometown's cathedral was razed and it's till here beautiful like new

But then again it was build in the 1200, we had reasons to rebuild it

>the edge
MOMS

We did rebuild a lot of historical landmarks but after ww2 I think there was a sense to move forward to the future. Although now it seems that old buildings are becoming more popular and alot of new buildings like the Burberry Milbank hq are vintage inspired

After WW2 most of the buildings that weren't destroyed in the war were torn down because they were from anti-democratic and anti-western times and didn't reflect the spirit of the times anymore.

After pic doesn't look that bad, it's green, reasonable and don't clash with the ancient buildings like in old London.

I object, the building is clearly ugly and is only masked by the poor lighting in the photo.

>tfw murrica would look pretty dank with all those old buildings
naaaah, lets build some cardboard glass shit

wtf i love argentina now

It's not severely dead.

This is really typical of most US towns. Of course not amazing but there's some architecture there.
The biggest change is demographic; a lot older, a lot fatter, a lot more stupider, a lot more inequal and a lot less American.

>a lot less American

Funny thing, I remember when I was 12 yo hearing on the radio that it would be blacks that would cause white in Ameriga to become a minority, now it's the spics (who are pretty white to me, but that's just an opinionà

This happened all around the world. Over here the 60s and 70s were particularly bad for this

And then this is what a most of the poor urban areas look like; spread out, barren of anything interesting and overall unpleasant. There are some row house ghettos in places like NYC and Pittsburgh.

2bh I'd say a good 1/3rd of spics could pass as white with integration, and a smaller 1/10th of Hispanics are just normal Americans who have one Mexican or Spanish ancestor. The other look like really dark and fat Native Americans or Spaniards with Asian-esque features. Some are good, some are bad, some are peaceful but otherwise unlikable. I just worry they'll try to reclaim the former Mexican states.

>tfw American cities used to be the best in the world

Where the fuck did it all go, lads?

Holy shit I wish I could just travel back to this time and just walk around and talk to the people and stuff

Urban renewal, rise of suburbs, highways gutted the heart of cities and people made room for more large efficient buildings rather then preserve smaller historic ones.
Also it saves money to build a square glass rectangle then to actually have artful surroundings.

The only ugly thing here is color instead of colour, though.

Yeah, not many people like the coloureds.

that's insane how nobody is fat.
Doesn't really look like the us today Tbh.

Fattiness has only really been a pervasive issue since the late 1990s.
Fucking McDonalds.

SLC is still a pretty nice place.

Relevant iqc.ou.edu/2014/12/12/60yrsmidwest/

Before phat office rectangles

Denver nowadays is remarkable for it's Mexicans and hipsters.

My great grandparents in the early 50's in Ilinois

What city?

Decatur

That building is still standing. It's the "Wayne County Building", though the county moved out of it and I think it's being renovated.

I TRIED SO HARD
AND GOT SO FAR

t. Varsovian

That was demolished to make room for an expressway btw