Why is Portugal such an amazing country?

Why is Portugal such an amazing country?

Despite being poor, their people are cultured and sophisticated and don't chimp out like Slavs. They have a rich history and culture but also highly progressive laws that work.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-zpMPmhPdWI
viajeaqui.abril(.)com.br/materias/fotos-de-cidades-historicas-do-brasil
youtube.com/watch?v=f3WGttZdksg
youtube.com/watch?v=_npTiIPQvTs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

their north american diaspora are breddy gud, based boat people t b h
youtube.com/watch?v=-zpMPmhPdWI

The biggest problems in Portugal (like in Spain) are the current bureaucracy and corruption that make any serious reform attempts impossible. It doesn't help much that most people are against such big reforms, which is still understandable given the current economic misery there

T-thanks.

Fuck reforms. Banksters can go fuck themselves.

never forget

>m-muh banks

stupid pleb

t. ABN AMRO

Moor heritage

>portugal will never be a first world country

Why does it have to be the case that not only my own country is trash tier, but also our colonists?

>Why is Portugal such an amazing country?

Their Location.

Spaniards and Portuguese are what eastern slavs would have been if it hadn't been syphoned by the Soviet Union and instead became US/EU protectorates after WW2. If the Iberia Peninsula was right next to Russia, Portugal would be even poorer and as unsophisticated as any minor slav cunt-tree today.

>g-guys it's the f-fault of those bankers
>n-not our fault at all!

remain poor

t. Fortis

T. France
Can't make this shit up

PAIGC literally tortured and murdered Portuguese but of course no one cares.

we tactically won, but of course the generals were tired and getting basically no rewards for the war, so they decided to suddenly stop it

i honestly feel like we're more like the finns in personality than the latinos

That's because you're suicidal and you never leave your basement, user

i don't even have a basement but i'm still suicidal, like 90% of this country's population

True

All the Portuguese I know are really cool so I have a very positive image of Portugal.

Portugal vs the world

ITT: Cucks

Because of Salazar (and Franco for Spaniards) there is a very strong anti-snitch policy which makes corruption grow over the years by letting the unqualified stay ahead without being called on it.

It's starting to disappear but of course it takes time. This new generation is much more focused and forward thinking, while keeping a generally conservative outlook.

I agree OP Portuguese migrants are very good.

The only thing I don't like about them is that they make fun of Brazil

>the only white player in France's team has Portuguese grandparents.

Pick your fights, colgate.

It's the common flag and constant (failed) invasions of the bigger country from the east.

Also the fish.

Colgate Dental

fuck off pierre

We deserve

>their people are cultured and sophisticated

It's just banter. They are our little delinquent kid, because their dad is a drunk. We have this notion that all Brazilians and loud and obnoxious, but every single one I met was a shy and polite guy. Maybe they clean their act here because they feel like in their grandparents house.

I've never met an Estonian I didn't hate. I've never met any, to be fair.

Portuguese people are humble, creative, ambitious and loyal. However, they are sometimes depressed but they always have the courage to get up again

>this thread

This kind of talk around here would get you all a free beer fyi.

Because they were colonized by Brazil

One Super Bock coming out for everyone.

What beer brand is popular in República Portuguesa?

Super Bock in the north, Sagres in the south.

I don't drink, but I hear our beers aren't that great compared to proper German ones.

We're more of a wine country.

Also their cities are clean and beautiful. They are proud of their identity and reputation.

How is that petition to redo the final going?

>Also their cities are clean
Heh. The tourism parts are clean. The rest aren't dirty, but it's not to Nordic standard for example. Couple of slummy neighbourhoods here and there.

We do have very pretty cities, even the smaller ones.

T bh portugese are the nicest people I ever met.

>miss the last bus in the small town
>locals arrange a drive for us to the other town
>refuse to take money
>give us tips for restaurant and bars
>leave us with big smile

People from small towns have better mentality than the people that live in big cities.

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT ON THE RIGHT????? A GHOST?

A moth

Yeah that's a given.

Although I've heard two different foreigners state that they were surprised to have lost their wallet on the bus/train, and then be able to retrieve it because people return it to the stations lost and found instead of keeping it. This wasn't in Lisbon, though.

The moth of humility that told Ronaldo that he could leave the pitch knowing that the team could beat France without him, because Portugal is not a one-man country.

Portuguese Internet Defense Force ITT

The country's not a special snowflake and it's poor. You can find similar areas to Portugual but much richer in Iberia alone such as the Basque Country

>The country's not a special snowflake and it's poor.
This is true, but for a country this poor and this religious, we're a fairly stable and nice bunch.

5th most peaceful country in the world, fairly affable and honest people, low crime rates, nice weather, good food, great history, a good blend of conservative/progressive/pragmatic thought.

We like to talk a lot of shit about it yeah, but it's a very nice corner of the world we have here, that we're very lucky to keep. There are others, but this one is ours.

So the greatest achievement of Portugal is being fairly stable and peaceful while being poor? That's not something to be proud of.

And nice is quite debatable, compared to what? The world average? Yeah, perhaps, but that's not really setting the bar very high now is it?

Right now in Europe, I think it's good to know there's a safe place I can return to from everything, desu. I'm not saying we're without problems, but sometimes we lose track of what good we have, and this thread is a nice reminder.

>So the greatest achievement of Portugal is being fairly stable and peaceful while being poor? That's not something to be proud of.
Heh, the poorest countries are full of problems. I'd say that being poorer than some latin america countries and not dealing with the same problems they deal with is a good indication of our honour and tradition.

What's so wrong about liking it? Ask not what your country can do for you and yadda yadda.

Except the reason we're so safe is because we're too poor to attract unqualified migrants. In fact it can be argued that we're no more docile and peaceful than other native europeans, just a lot poorer.

And a tradition of poverty and illiteracy is something I, personally, do not hold as something to be proud of but to each his own.

And, quite frankly, JFK's speech is simply ill applied here. Some governments simply give back a lot more than others which is the case for the American one. The American government gives Americans the chance of living in one of the greatest countries on Earth, while the Portuguese government hasn't exactly given me anything, especially considering the absurd amount of taxes my parents have paid, which as a function of their income is just brutal compared to other countries.

Again, I find it hard to see, objectively, what's so good about this country. Yes, it manages to be better than the world average, but that's setting the bar incredibly low.

>Sup Forums likes portugal now

what happen

>JFK's speech is simply ill applied here.
>My country doesn't give me enough
I might have been wrong then, but I'm not now. Aim to fix, not complain.

Meme magic, and constant posting of pic related.

I'm sorry but why is complaining that my government simply does not reciprocate in function of the tremendous taxes my parents pay? Sure there are some countries with a very high tax burden like Portugal, but those are the very best managed countries on Earth with governments that give back a lot to the populations.

Are you okay with a country that takes so much but gives so little? Because that's a very Portuguese mentality.

>Aim to fix, not complain.
But why? I'm not responsible, so point out to me the objective, non-emotional reason for me to do this.

Oh gawd I love you guys.

Keep fighting the good fight.

Cheers, btw.

There's lots of small cities like that in the older parts of Bahia, Minas and Rio.

>John I of Portugal, John I of Castile
>Nuno Álvares Pereira, Pedro Álvares Pereira

Was it a battle of brothers or smth like?

worst champions ever

Portugal has atlantic civilized policies.It's so fucking amazing how different people from portugal and spain act.
You know that steriotypical,hot headed latino mentality?spaniards have it.we portuguese don't

Galiza doesn't either.

The Atlantic is very soothing.

Yeah. Our nobility was usually intertwined. That was one of the reasons we allied with the Brits, to distance our two crowns so it wouldn't end up in the hands of Spain. They did the same to avoid the French.

Do you have specific names of those smaller towns? I'd love to check some out. Portuguese-heavy Brazil is always interesting to see.

cute

We wouldn't have won forever.

Probably for the better, too. We'd have more blacks if they were still overseas territories now.

So what kind of diaspora are you ?
Italian, Greek or Portuguese ?

>buttering up Portugal
Who'd you think?

Although there aren't many Portuguese in Finland. It's too cold for us.

We call it Cidades Históricas, there is some of them in this link

viajeaqui.abril(.)com.br/materias/fotos-de-cidades-historicas-do-brasil

Those look great. You can totally tell where the settlers were from by the buildings. A lot from the South with the colourful painted lines. Which makes sense singe they were designed to be cooler for warmer climates.

Neat that those castley-looking churches and castles are much browner - as opposed to our greyer ones. The stone is very different but the architecture is the same.

Very cool. As always, some aspects of the Brazilian culture is very similar to what a Portuguese guy on vacation in a warmer country would do. Same with food.

What's there to do in Portugal for a respectable Brit tourist lads? Got a free stay at one of the five star hotels in Porto, also looking to do a bit of travelling round the country if possible.

Hey portuguese ppl

Can I make friends going out on my own there? Im goin to portugal by myself soon and im worried its gonna be hard to meet ppl cause your country isnt that outgoing from what i can tell.

I wanna travel to Portugal.
Viseu? Lisboa? Porto? Where should I go to meet qts?
I like art and stuff, and I want to travel alone.

The north of the country is more densely packed. Porto is particularly nice. Visit Braga, Guimarães and/or Coimbra for more stuff. Try the food, see the sights, go on a Ferry in the Douro. Try the wine and the bread and the cheese and every traditional dish you can find. Up north food isn't that different from British food.

If you're too outgoing, people will look at you, but they won't be rude about it and let you be. We're generally nice to foreigners so long as you don't cause any trouble or are too obnoxious/loud. Speak either Portuguese or English. Spanish will get you spit on your food. Say you like the place and you might get some free beers in homier bars.

The northern people are more serious and introverted until you make friends then they'll become bros for life.

Lisbon has nice areas as well, but also some very emigrant-filled ones and a couple ghettos. Near it there's Sintra which has an old palace (Quinta da Regaleira) that looks elven.

Further south you have Alentejo (the western coast) which is calmer and more rural with better food, and even further south you have Algarve (the sourthern coast) has more bars and parties and a similar vibe to mediterranean beach towns with more parties and people.

The food in Portugal is fucking amazing.

By ghettos I mean there's one neighbourhood filled with black people in Lisbon called "Amadora" which has crime like any other city. Pretty much everywhere else is perfectly safe. You can walk around at night in the main streets and you won't be bothered. There's some black guys selling shit near the Lisbon bar district, but they are harmless. Other cities don't really have this.

Cheers. The Americans (and most foreign people) tend to like pic related because it's one of the nicest looking dish. They serve it mostly everywhere, but it's originally from Porto and there's a definite difference in quality.

Where is the art-scene / culture-scene in portugal?

Painted art? I have no idea. Every city has it's corners. Lisbon and Porto have a lot more to see than the rest of the country.

I'm mostly a music guy, they have Jazz concerts every day, the rest of the country it's mostly only very week.

Coimbra is a very old University-based city with things happening every week in the centre square (music, theatre, exhibits), and twice a year we have serenades by the students with local-composed music: youtube.com/watch?v=f3WGttZdksg

What's Portuguese food like?

I loved seeing the Portuguese architecture in Macao as well.

Lots of Pork, sorry. We eat literally every part of the pig, including the intestines (called tripas). We do have something that converted Jews made when we kicked them out, to pretend they were eating pork: Alheira (pic related). It's very tasty when fried and should be kosher (minus the blessing part).

We eat a lot of fish like sardines and especially bacalhau (which we used to fish near Norway, but now we trade it), and have like a hundred dishes from it. Since I'm not gonna upload a bunch of images I'll leave a google-able list:

Bacalhau com todos
Bacalhau à Lagareiro
Bacalhau com natas
Bacalhau à Braz
Bolos de Bacalhau
(and a lot more)
Pasteis de Nata
Feijoada à transmontana
Francesinha
Açorda
Arroz de Cabidela
Arroz de Pato
Leitão à Bairrada
Frango de Churrasco

Also literally world-tier wines, breads, cheeses, soups and lots of olive oil. This is a sample, but It's generally very varied since we had Indian and Brazilian spices from early on. Very Mediterranean but without spamming tomato like the Spanish and Italians. Some very light things and some heavier things.Every region has tons of different food.

That looks very different from Portuguese architecture, but it definitely has some elements from it.

Because they're chill, and of course it's easy to call the Portuguese poor when every country around them are full-blown globalists with no culture or sense of identity or pride, and being blatantly replaced with an alien population and brought to their knees with political correctness. Portugal is one of the richest countries around when it comes to what actually matters.

The countryside of Portugal is also beautiful. Just avoid the big capitals (specially Lisbon) if you wish to experience real Portuguese culture. Also a must to visit the isles Açores and Madeira, they're very unique and it's interesting to learn the contrast between the islanders and the continental Portuguese.

Segue uma peça do folclóre baixo-beirão:
youtube.com/watch?v=_npTiIPQvTs

literally muh heritage my relatives own a highly rated guest house there. a lot of my family stayed there but i havent yet :(

Madeira and the Açores are just have just as vast a gamet of things to see as the rest of the country because of their isolation. I've only been to the Açores once (just one island) and it's breathtaking. It's like a small piece NZ in the middle of the Atlantic with GREAT food and a very fucking hard to understand accent. Love them to death.

These lil niggaz our brothers. Nice people and cute women despite the moustache cliche.

I-I'm shy and polite ;-;

I assume that the only Brazilians I see here are the ones wealthy/determined enough to come here and try to leave a good impression. So there's a selection bias at play. But I've been there and people are generally nice too. A bit loud and festive on the street, but always calm and pretty chill. And that was in Rio.

Literally. The Portuguese (AKA Salazar) did not view itself as needing to pick a side in the cold war. It really was Portugal vs the world.

>despite the moustache
are you some kind of metrosexual?

That explains my personality, then.

Salazar could've been a great figure for good.

It's a shame he went all censorshipy and dictatory, because if he were more lax with that and kept the tight economic reigns, he'd have been almost a messiah. But alas he screwed a lot of people over.

I think he meant the stereotypical female moustache meme.

Iunno, IMO a large portion of the population would have never accepted the legitimacy of the state without being forced to.

The world was perceived as just moving on from that sort of thing, and plenty of people became redpilled by what was happening all over the world.

I do agree Salazar was pretty based however.

also his statement to the UN saying we didn't colonies but overseas territories.

Agreed, Portugal is like the best of the worst

give us the money you owe to our companies

I've never been to Portugal. I'm portuguese by both sides of the family (probably with some spanish and other stuff in my father's side since I don't think Dorneles is a portuguese name), but the last relative that was actually portuguese was my great-grandfather and he died before I was born. I have no knowledge of the rest of my family over there.

He did great things. He educated the whole country by building schools, sparked up the national pride by emphasising the great feats of the country, saved up a lot of money.

At the cost of some serious sacrifice of the rural areas and the colonies.

The biggest problem is that he died before reinvesting, and the communists being assblasted by him earlier went on a spending spree right after the revolution, thus making it all for nothing.

He was hella smart and dedicated. Never married, was quiet and shy and religious and helped the country immensely in a lot of ways.

Censorship and dictatorship is not cool at all, though. That's some serious rights infringing. Something milder would've been preferable, as it would've been met with less whiplash and would've at least take advantage of it.