Can someone please explain to me the draw of a flagship phone?

Can someone please explain to me the draw of a flagship phone?
>You're never going to use all the power you're paying for
>Almost all your fancy features are present a year later on budget phones
>Lets be honest, if you need an 800$ camera, you're going to buy an actual camera
>Nowadays every decent higher-tier budget phone has a nice metal body
At least with something like a sports car, even if you never use all that horsepower or whatever, it stands out and draws attention. When I walk into a lecture room a good 80% of the students are using either an iPhone or a Samsung S7/8. Go buy a Redmi or something.

Other urls found in this thread:

sammobile.com/2017/08/25/galaxy-s5-updated-months-security-patch/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The amortized cost of a flagship is only a tad more than a budget phone's. The iPhone 6 and the Galaxy S5 are still getting updates, which makes their effective lifespan 4 years (divide their launch price by this number). The vast majority of budget trash does not get even a single update. "Budget flagships" like OnePlus are supported for at most 2 years. After that, you're forced to use Lineage, which comes with a degradation in camera quality, wonky Bluetooth, etc.
tl;dr - flagships are actually better value for money if you're not a consumerist whore

Some people want the "best" regardless of their use cases. While that isn't particularly wise to do with money, some people just don't care. You can't control them so it makes no sense worrying about it.

I bought a Galaxy S5 when it came out in 2014 and I still use it for a few hours everyday, but that's me. Everyone is different. Don't stress over it user.

i can try, but if you just made this thread to bitch and whine then you're not going to be in a state of mind to be receptive to hearing why people other than you might be drawn to a flagship phone. are you prepared to accept some rationale even though it doesn't make you want one? because if you're not, then what you're really asking is for me to sell you on flagship phones, which isn't fair unless you're willing to tell us a lot more about yourself, and also maybe give me a reason to give any shits at all what you do.

>You're never going to use all the power you're paying for
virtually nobody in the world buys a car and then exploits all of the power available to them

>Almost all your fancy features are present a year later on budget phones
you have to buy a phone at some point. you can either buy a phone that'll be on par with budget phones in a year (and be obsolete in 3 years), or buy a phone that's a year further along on that life cycle on day 1 (i.e. a budget phone). some people would prefer to enjoy riding that wave of having modern tech for longer.

>Lets be honest, if you need an 800$ camera, you're going to buy an actual camera
you're not buying an $800 camera. you're buying an $800 device which has, among like a dozen other functions, a camera. if you're buying a flagship phone solely for the camera, then maybe you're in the wrong part of the store.

>Nowadays every decent higher-tier budget phone has a nice metal body
this just seems like a random thought. people aren't saying "finally, a phone with a metal body. this is what i was holding out for". it's just a nice thing to have.

literally for the status

how do you not get thsi

>muh updates

Indeed. Not everyone is a friendless NEET cuck who's fine with having their private data pilfered by 13-year-old Ivans and Changs half a world away.

>there are people who actually believe this
Good god man, I'm sorry for you. Have you ever owned said "budget trash"?

I don't need to own one to realize they're trash.

>When I walk into a lecture room a good 80% of the students are using either an iPhone or a Samsung S7/8
There's about as much status attached to owning a smartphone as there is to having a highschool diploma - even literal retards can get one.

I'm gonna browse the web smoothly and there will be many custom ROMs. This rules out Samsung obviously.

I like my used note4 with NobleROM.
That is all.
:>

Or you flash a custom ROM and get updates anyway. And no S5 isn't getting 7.1 even though it's a flagship from less than 4 years ago.
t. S5 owner with custom ROM

>Galaxy S5 still getting updates
I am?

>Using Motorola as an example.
If you actually knew what you were talking about you'd realize how poor of an example you just chose.

>carriercucks
sammobile.com/2017/08/25/galaxy-s5-updated-months-security-patch/

pic rel

I use the pen every day for image editing and literally no other phone is able to give me this kind of functionality. I'd go for a budget pen phone in a heartbeat if I could. As is, my only upgrade option is the Note 8.

It really triggers me when people justify spending a lot of money on phones because they think all camera's are are megepixels when sensors size and lenses matter so much more. An 8 megapixel camera with a full frame sensor is gonna look better than a 14 megapxel phone camera with their teeny tiny sensors. Fucking casuals

>Galaxy S5 in Europe
Dude I like Android just fine, but you have to admit apple has them beat in updates

>if you just made this thread to bitch and whine
Christ, no need to get so defensive; I am actually curious to know if anyone has a legitimate reason to own one. I'm not condemning you for owning one, hell all my friends have so called flagships.
>virtually nobody in the world buys a car and then exploits all of the power available to them
See >At least with something like a sports car, even if you never use all that horsepower or whatever, it stands out and draws attention
>you have to buy a phone at some point
Fair enough, but there haven't really been any particularily ground breaking new features as of late
>you're not buying an $800 camera. you're buying an $800 device
No need to get into semantics, it was a figure of speach. I'm trying to say that the better camera really isn't going to make a difference to anyone who actually needs a better camera.
>people aren't saying "finally, a phone with a metal body. this is what i was holding out for"
I always hear about how much more premium flagship phones are, but I'm pointing out that budget phones can be just as premium with just as good build quality.
The only viable reason I've ever heard is from a developer's standpoint saying they need to stay ahead of the curve.

>your picture
And how is that? I'm saying that you are using a horrible example. I bought one of their phones a few years ago only to have it die within a week, have it replaced only to get another faulty phone, and finally have one that lasted me 6 months before acting up again, at which point their customer support said "It's a software issue and it's none of our concern to fix it for you". All of this shittyness is reaffirmed with a quick google search.
If anything you're the one fucking with the "rules" by cherry picking your example.s.

Im also still on my S5. I havent owned any newer smartphones, but I havent felt the need to upgrade. The S5 is a dream to repair imo, and most newer phones look impossible or ridiculous to repair without paying someone.

So far Ive replaced my screen as well as the power button, took like an hour to do both

>Christ, no need to get so defensive;
this board is just full of faggots who come in claiming to be openminded and whatnot, but then nitpick everything we suggest. we're not trying to convince you to adopt these ideas: just to accept that for some people somewhere these are motivating factors.

sports cars draw attention. so do high end smartphones.

also, sports cars handle much more nimbly and accelerate much more quickly. you still benefit from the extra power that you otherwise don't max out on; you just don't ever hit top speeds.

your figure of speech about the camera was more than just semantics. you reduced the phone to a camera and evaluated the entire price on that criterion. and higher quality cameras mean a higher "keep" rate. higher resolution images mean you can crop more aggressively if you want.

yes, budget phones can feel premium if they have good build quality, but those tend to be mutually exclusive. if you're buying a phone because it's a *budget* phone, the manufacturer knows that you're not interested in paying any premium on high end materials. they optimize their phone for the reason you're buying it — in this case, to spend as little as possible without sacrificing too much functionality.

You just moved the goalposts yourself considering carrier are a big group. I asked them to unlock the bootloader in the end anyway, their bloatware is worse than any Samsung software and their logo is ugly.

flagships are for normalfags who don't want to know what their phone can do, only that it's "good".
As long as it has a premium look and branding it's what they want.

And I can understand that, who is to say buying a product is wrong if it makes you happy?
If you want to pay $1000+ on a handset that doesn't have basic functionality such as a headphone jack or not exploding then what's wrong with that?

Lineage improved my bluetooth actually.

>Not getting the idea that owning a flagship phone nowadays is just for fashion and to be part of a trend...

Used/old flagship master race. Best custom rom support, accessory support, features, and build quality without selling an organ.

still overpriced most of the time.
I bought my mom an S4 when the S6 was new and it still cost me twice what my RN3P cost

Only Samsung and Apple really have this problem.

>storing data in a botnet device