Install gentoo (a distribution without systemd)

>install gentoo (a distribution without systemd)
>close the lid on my laptop
>it doesn't suspend
>install Ubuntu GNU/LInux (a distribution with systemd)
>it does
Why aren't you using Ubuntu, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

lkml.org/lkml/2014/4/2/415
lkml.org/lkml/2014/4/2/420
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

because muh botnet

Laptop lid closed functions are in some conf file, just find and edit it.

Systemd is a good product, it makes linux just werk. There are legitimate concerns about it, technical and ideological and I support the development of alternatives.

But most of the noise is just that, noise. Few people make a real, thought out argument against it, instead its just >muh botnet >muh lennart

Because my gentoo install boots so fast that I don't need suspend. Although suspend does work.

Because Fedora does all the same stuff but it doesn't mysteriously break internally somewhere and throw up weird error messages that are useless for debugging after one update.

Systemd is actually useful for system monitoring and debugging. NEETs will just reinstall the system if something fucks up so they don't care about that functionality.

My Fedora install with XFCE on an SSD boots in under 10 seconds my Core2 laptop running Coreboot with SeaBIOS as the payload. Git gud, fag.

>NEETs will just reinstall the system if something fucks up so they don't care about that functionality.
Tfw used to be NEET who couldn't linux very well and did just that.
I read the logs now, and fix the things...
Im sad now.
:

>can't look up how to configure sleep on lid close
user why are you even """using""" gentoo

>how do we fix our code
>let's just fuck with the kernel instead

Because the only Linux distro I use is OpenWrt.

He's right. Typical Pottering attitude: "my code is fine, your system should be fixed to work with my bugs^W specific programming solutions".

>have a process/download/whatever running but need to move laptop
>close lid
>open lid
>process interrupted, ssh closed, shit on fire

Yeah that's the dumbest feature you could possibly want. Real men just bind the power key for suspension.

The only time I ever close my laptop while it's running is to put it in my bag, I'd rather not have it baking itself in there.

>I'm too much of a retard to remember pressing a button before putting my laptop in a bag

That's why I rather turn it off, to prevent an accidental wake. You trust its lid sensor too much.

Mental ability has nothing to do with it, it's simply that by the time I had my first laptops they had ones that were good.

>has to remember and do a trillion things that everyone else has automated
Things should just werk and you shouldn't pay attention to them.

anyone got details on the mentioned systemd bug?

>he doesn't use terminal commands for power options and actually trusts hardware buttons like a power switch
Lmfao fucking faggot

Do you happen to drive an automatic?

Personally I don't want my laptop to suspend or turn off when I close the lid. I want it to keep running and just turn off the screen's backlight. I actually don't ever want my laptop to suspend or hibernate. I'm an OFF/ON kinda person.

I use public transportation.

>he trusts software solutions and has no hardware switch between the battery and power supply unit

lkml.org/lkml/2014/4/2/415
linus response: lkml.org/lkml/2014/4/2/420

>he trusts a combination of software reprogrammed hardware instead of using a hard switch on the psu
Bitch don't even try

theres this thing called a bobnet. when the bobnet is watching, bob is watching. do you want bob to watch you do everything? faggot

Reading through what Linus said is like a fucking comedy. At least he's trying to make sure fucktards are not ruining the kernel.

That product is his legacy, he'd better be, or he's useless as a man.

-no rolling release
-no gui for everything

Is it possible to install both systemd and some other alternative, and then just swap between them at will without causing any major issues anywhere?

I know Gnome depends on systemd, but does anything else relevant require it?

>Few people make a real, thought out argument against it
who gives a fuck, you dipshit.

There is literally none

Gentoo *has* systemd and was one of the very first distros to support it well.

And you can suspend with openrc too, pick any method (/ helper script or software) you prefer.

I've been doing that in the past with OpenRC + systemd on Gentoo. Worked fine, though I only did it for a shorter while until I knew I wanted to switch to systemd & had it set up.

???

>using gentoo unironically

i use peppermint ubuntu has too much bloat

Doesn't the creator of gentoo not even use gentoo? i heard he uses OSX

Classic Torvalds
>ywn be bullied by Linus

SElinux does just that, all the time.

AppArmor is just better.

>Laptop lid closed functions are in some conf file, just find and edit it.

linuxfags have no self-awareness