More competition = better for us

We need more competition in the CPU and GPU spaces. AMD is giving Intel a good run for their money at the moment, and barely giving nVidia a run for their money, but I have a feeling, come middle of next year, Intel and nVidia will already have their next lineup out and make AMD a second-rate supplier once more for years to come. Does AMD have what it takes to keep the pressure on the competitors? I'm not so sure I believe they do.

Other urls found in this thread:

semiaccurate.com/2017/08/29/amds-epyc-pummels-intels-new-xeon-w-workstation-cpus/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Cyrix was shit

What we need is socketed consumer RISC-V CPUs that are faster than 1GHz with at least 2 physical cores. I could also settle for MIPS autism workstations with solid UNIX operating systems like we had in the 90s as long as the companies don't go full SGI and charge the price of a small house for them.

I just put in a preorder not too long ago for the Talos II workstation that uses IBM POWER9 CPUs but that shit is fucking expensive. It cost me almost $6500. I mean it's worth every penny but I could build myself a nice x86 equivalent for 1/3 the price. Too bad that x86 is proprietary trash.

I had a Cyrix once. It was complete shit.

What about Arm? What about MIPS? Sparc, and of course FPGA stuff. Also arduino, pic, and my favorite 6502.

Underage for just lying?
Cyrix beat the shit out of Intel for clock-by-clock performance. So did AMD at the time.

AMD produces good hardware for a good price. That's what they do. Always have.
Your delusion tells you that a sailboat manufacture should start making speed boats because you can't afford speed boats yourself.

Agreed. You don't happen to have a few hundred million dollars to spare so we can get started?

vega is shit, bulldozer was shit, phenom was shit, 5 series was shit, 6 series were worse than intel and they were still selling 386s and 486s when intel was selling pentiums. they have point periods where they're competitive and the rest of the time they're getting trounced.

>What about Arm? What about MIPS? Sparc, and of course FPGA stuff.

None of those are competitive in the x86 market.

>a good run for their money
With the 8700k coming out, AMDrones better pray that Zen2 is really 10%+

Even with the mass advertisement, shilling and influencing the 7700k still topped the charts and Ryzen just moved in to the spot the i5 held

That's with a lazy Intel who only started to care now while Nvidia can easily shit on AMD all day its hilarious to see them try

>the x86 market.
fuck that market. the year of the ARM desktop is this year.

SOPA?

semiaccurate.com/2017/08/29/amds-epyc-pummels-intels-new-xeon-w-workstation-cpus/

>We need more competition in the CPU and GPU spaces
There's competition in the HDD and RAM sectors but that still doesn't stop them from price fixing.

>we need Matrox GAMIN GPUs

Found the underage.

>things that aren't x86 aren't competitive in the x86 market

at least there IS competition in the hardware markets. not like in the 90s, but there is some

look at the software monopolies on OSes, apps, and specialized software suites.

I feel like the only way to do a new architecture would be if there was a hardware security hole so great that it couldn't be mitigated in software or firmware updates (think something like stack clash, but hardware-caused, works on any OS, and can't be patched)
or if a CPU was so awesome it could natively do x86 and AMD64 emulation as well as or better than a ryzen or i9, in addition to its own RISC processing. fat chance with all the optimizations x86 and AMD64 have fine-tuned over the years.

SOPA.

>hurr what is emulation

why do a shitty emulation when you can use the real thing?

Phenom X4 955 user here since 2011, all you're saying is bullshit, I've been able to run even doom 2016 at medium settings with this processor and encoding 1080p Anime in 30 minutes. Also, its great for internet browsing.

>Cyrix beat the shit out of Intel for clock-by-clock performance
This is literally the most retarded thing I've ever read.

>Intel and nVidia will already have their next lineup out and make AMD a second-rate supplier once more for years to come.
Nvidia might but Intel won't. Zen2 is on the works, covfefe lake leaks are horrible and Intel themselves said that 10nm chips will perform worse than 14nm .