New iPhone 8/Plus/X support FLAC!

Super pumped, Sup Forumsuys! :^)

Also just noticed it's natively supported in macOS High Sierra 10.13!

Neck yourself you literal shill

>no Opus
They (including OP) had one job.

If only I could plug my headphones into the phone to hear that awesome lossless music...

/thread

Lel what is this 2005

Now why did i convert all that shit into alac?
Fucking apple

This is a joke right?

You can't hear the difference anyway. Especially with a shitty phone dac and earbuds.
FLAC is for archiving, not mobile listening.

Does that mean that I won't have to convert my FLAC files to ALAC to add them to iTunes any more?

Nice.

You can
>with a dongle

Lol who cares ALAC is now open source

At least you can convert them to FLAC with no quality loss.

still uses the shitty built in dac.

It's a digital port. Why couldn't apple allow for external DACs? Would've actually been a bit of a selling point...

Which one is more preferable, FLAC or ALAC? They're both open source and both lossless. Both work across many players on all three major desktop operating systems.

>still uses the shitty built in dac.
No, it doesn't.
You even contradict yourself right on the next line
>It's a digital port.
Exactly right - there is no possibility of Analog audio being passed via lightning.

>using the smiley with a carat jose

I did the same, it took me forever too. Dammit.

Doesn't ALAC have better metadata support?

ALAC uses(used, this is historical) less power in decode in exchange for slightly higher disk usage.
FLAC was better for disk space efficiency, but took slightly more CPU cycles to decode, meaning battery life could possibly suffer on portable devices.

This is all ancient shit from 2008 though, FLAC is probably more efficient than ALAC in every way in 2017, since FLAC keeps getting optimized, with better decoders and ALAC is moving exactly nowhere.

Phones have more and more storage space though, so now you can just copy your flac library to your phone without having to fuck around with conversion.

iTunes can automatically transcode for syncing tho.

Yes, but it's still worse than FLAC.

No. FLAC includes a checksum of audio data, which is useful.

>ALAC uses(used, this is historical) less power in decode
I've never seen any proof of this. I tested both and FLAC uses significantly less power. This is on Windows and Android, can't speak for iStuff.

Oh okay, I was not aware of that, I don't know how transferring music to iPhones work.

Fair, I generally keep my XLD logs around for that reason. I'm talking about embedded album art, etc. I was under the impression FLAC did not support that.

Looks like it does since it uses the VorbisComment standard. Huh.

Does Android support the .opus extension yet? I know it supports the codec, but on my Moto G I have to rename them all to .ogg files or else they won't play, but I'd like to distinguish my Vorbis files from Opus files.

How will Apple ever recover?

By every Android flagship removing the headphone jack, which has already happened.