Still using this piece of old shit

>still using this piece of old shit

Fuck off, grandpa. Just let it die already

Other urls found in this thread:

neovim.io/doc/user/nvim.html#nvim-from-vim
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>t. Atom user

I know there is nano and emacs. What else works from console?

But muh routers run freebsd and have nothing but vi

Muh servers u fgt.

every decent ide/editor has a vim mode. it'll never die

last time i opened vim i had was to hard reboot my server

Because in twenty years myself and a dedicated community of Unix fags will still be unshaven and using Vim, while Atom and Visual Studio will be as obsolete as Borland Turbo C++ or the Basic prompt on a Commodore 64. Face it, there are two kinds of nerds, OG nerds who actually enjoy fucking around with computers, and trendsters who go obsolete every ten years and wind up wiping hard drives for Pawn Shops or doing """IT""" for mom and pop stores that actually need help turning their shit on and off again. Consider anyone who got real good at MS-DOS. For a while they were their local hackerman, no girls but they could make good money doing what they love. Now? They're dead as a dodo. All that studying left them no less of a loser and maybe a decade of nerd glory until they became adults and stopped having the free time to learn a new JavaScript framework every eight months. Vim, Unix, C, and such faggotry is timeless and at least a redeemable trade for your virginity.
You'll understand when the tech bubble crashes again and you lose that precious six figure starting salary you planned to gamble on a Filipinia mail order wife, and when you're considered just as much a loser as the rest of us.

vim with gruvbox and a few plugins is all I need.

Why would you use anything but Vim or Emacs? Every other text editor or "IDE" is vastly inferior.

>muh integrated debugger
A programmable debugger like gdb is light years ahead of stepping through the code manually.

>pic related

>A programmable debugger like gdb is light years ahead of stepping through the code manually.
good luck debugging non-autistic languages with that

Damn dude, that's the truth right there.

>he uses non-autistic languages

So what timeless skills should I learn?
To be honest, I doubt C++ and Java will be gone anytime soon.

Good colorscheme.

html

Neovim is > standard Vim for sure.

lol

Because i have used it for 15 years and continue to like it.

>grandpa
I just turned 25, chill the fuck out.

holly fuck your old, what are you doing on the internet? you're too old for it now.

>pic related

It's objectively good software. Give me heavily customizable gui software that allows me to control it entirely with the keyboard and I would probably use that too.

I really really want to create a UI for this, just not another fucking electron clone. What are some good options for really light, cross-platform UI?

You're just as stupid if you think people learning the "unpopular" things are fucked. You dont just learn a specific editor/language/operating system, you also learn how they work in general. For example the MS-DOS guy will have learned how kernels work and how the OS is structured and will not have any problems in transitioning to linux for example. Deep inside a lot of things work the same

More like Sublime user who sucks proprietary cock and is scared of the terminal.

emacs :^)

bloat

Some dude used Qt to make a GUI window for Neovim.

Kakoune's a bit different though, it's much more tied into Bash and meant to be run in a terminal, like with i3 or tmux. I'm sure it can be done though.

wow that looks promising. Is it already good software or should I give it some time of developing before it's usable?

It's pretty damn good, only a couple minor bugs that I've encountered that don't actually effect functionality, just visual selection bugs. Otherwise, it's an incredibly smart re-imagining of Vim. Most of the plugins you'd get on Vim aren't even necessary thanks to the way its selection system is designed, and the fact that the entire editor is built around it.

its ok, no everybody has enough brain to learn to use it, go back to windows and vs.

Ok thanks I'll try it then, this looks like the future

>What are some good options for really light, cross-platform UI?
there are none. electron is the best bet

>Because in twenty years Visual Studio will
require 20TB of disk space to install.

Your paragraph won't change how miserable you feel. This is just the "normies REEE" version of Sup Forums.
Meanwhile I'll keep enjoying my "trendster" utilities without worrying about abstract concepts of "who's the true developer".

On the topic of vim, what the fuck is up with the new vim version in debian stretch? Pasting in multiple lines of code barfs a bunch of tabs. Some sort of auto indent? How do I turn it off?

Have you tried
> noautoindent

Then stop using it and don't contribute code anymore. No need to kill a thread for it.

COBOL

What does it offer that vim doesn't?

:set paste

SDL2

Cringe

"+p

I don't understand programmers who don't use Emacs, Vim, or some IDE.

We're literally paid to edit text. It's like being a carpenter and avoiding power tools.

what options are there apart from emacs / vim / "an ide"?

>who don't use emacs, vim, or some IDE
What's wrong about redirect stdout to a source file and echoing the code, and editing is with AWK?

Atom, Sublime, Notepad++, VSCode, Nano, etc.
IDEs are acceptable because some people do .NET, Android, iOS, spaghetti Java etc. where you need one.
But if a ""professional"" developer works on large projects with fucking Notepad or something then I will think less of them.

This

Vim is just a much more matured program.

>It's objectively good software.
It's objectively bad software, because modi are bad. Vi, 3B2, Mac OS and Perl are proof that humans can be trained to use software that is absolutely abysmal in terms of ergonomics.
Vim is also objectively written by a bad programmer.
>Give me heavily customizable gui software that allows me to control it entirely with the keyboard and I would probably use that too.
Even jEdit.
kek, but it's true

>modi are bad
super keys are worse

>super keys
?

Super keys are reserved for DE managing, anyway.
Or they should be, but of course bistrobuters are retarded.

i wish i knew how to vim but im to lazy to learn an im no programmer anyway so for editing config files nano works fine

you wont regret becoming efficient in vim, even if all you do is config file editing

yea worry about looking up new frameworks to shitpost about

You don't have to learn any vim beyond replacements for whatever shortcuts you use in other typing

so don't use it if you don't know retard.

micro

Can you do this

>vim textfile_name -c "hardcopy > example.ps | q"

With any other text editor right out of the gate?
Guess not, nerds

Less spaghetti

New guy at the office transfers config files to his Windows machine, edits them with notepad++ and then transfers them back.

Sublime Text is fine.

> Implying there is an alternative to Emacs and/or Vim

Just learn hjkl (movement) and :wq (save and exit) and you'll already be faster than in nano.

vi is an nethack training text editor.

emacs is a text IDE.

> find bug
> report bug
> patched by Bram himself same day

takes a while to get comfy using it
until then, stay mad OP

And I bet you use Nano when manipulating a file on a server. And I bet it takes you 15 minutes to do what would take me 15 seconds with Vim.

I'm also quite proficient with Emacs. Stay mad, young one.

>takes a while to get comfy using it
It doesn't, just use vimtutor and you'll be up and running in much less than an hour.

RIP your line breaks

set clipboard=unnamed

No thanks

nice CS 101 homework

thx i did it like 10 months ago and havent done much since

Go drink some bleach and shoot yourself in the face, you mouth-breathing mongoloid.

never looked back after using neovim

it's noticeably faster, the under the hood stuff isn't just a meme. Remote plugin API which kills a ton of plugin-related performance bottlenecks. It also has a terminal emulator mode if you wanna run stuff inside of vim.

Your existing vimrc should work near 100% out of the box: neovim.io/doc/user/nvim.html#nvim-from-vim

Well said!

vimtutor exits

Ineffective. Your troll will wait a long time before it acquires any teeth.

>Borland Turbo C

yow!

I lent several pounds of borland docs to a friend's nerdy younger brother aeons ago; occasionally I ask myself whether I should get them back. You've answered my question for me. What a liberating feeling.

gruvbox is so nice on the eyes

thanks this is now my new colorscheme