Compressed Edition

Compressed Edition

IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Previous thread:
(Cross-thread) →
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN P, T, X, and W SERIES if you want the Real Business Experience™

Recommended IBM models:
X60, X61, T60, T61, 860, Transnote, PC110

Recommended old models:
X200, W500

Recommended modern models:
X220 - 12", 768x1366, cheap and light
T420 - normal size, 14", 900x1600
T520 - 15", 1080p, Quadcore-CPUs
W520 - desktop replacement, 15", USB 3.0

Last good models:
X230 - 12", USB 3.0, IPS option avaiable, classic keyboard installable
T440p - 14", last ThinkPad to have replacable CPUs, 1080p IPS displays avaiable
----
Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad Buyers Guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

New guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads and running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

ThinkPad wallpaper collection:
imgur.com/a/NlepZ

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.thinkpads.com//viewtopic.php?t=122224
compressjpeg.com/
ark.intel.com/products/64899/Intel-Core-i7-3610QM-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_30-GHz
m.ebay.ie/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T440p-Notebook-Intel-Core-i5-2x-2-6GHz-8GB-RAM-500GB-HDD-Win10-/352146866562?
biosimage.booru.org/index.php
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:W520
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Ultrabay#Compatibility
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Ultrabay_Slim_Serial/Parallel_Port_Adapter
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Ultrabay_Slim_HDD_Adapter
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Ultrabay_Slim_SATA_HDD_Adapter
biosimage.booru.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

xx30 > xx20

Asking again:
Do you install Libreboot before or after installing your OS? The instructions for flashing include using "flashrom -p internal -V" to find out the flash chip size, which implies that GNU/Linux is already installed (or being run as a live image?).

x200
p8600 and a 256gb ssd sandisk

100 euros

now time to order wificards and libreboot it

screen is very dim is there a thing I can do about this

Anyone got any info on the availability of the t420s/t430s FHD conversion boards?
forum.thinkpads.com//viewtopic.php?t=122224

Last one was too big, this should work.

Ok, when I save that on my laptop it turns into a 31kb file.

Alright cool, running this image now with the bios application.

Works on mine, gl

it'll look streched if your memepad is 16:9 though

Yep works on mine as well. Thanks user! What software did u use?

What the fuck, has RAM become more expensive all of a sudden? £76 for 8GB? You're taking the piss.

Paint and compressjpeg.com/ because I have no idea what I'm doing.

You can probably just do it with GIMP.

DDR3 or DDR4? The latter is being used in phones, which fucked up pricing.

By the way, there's a BIOS option in Startup to turn off the "interrupt normal startup" option. It'll still let you do it, it just won't display it.

Not sure how to get rid of the black bar at the bottom that flashes up though.

DDR3. Maybe it was always this expensive, but I don't remember spending that much when I bought 8GB for my T410 two years ago.

No idea why that's spiking.

This one.

>not adding the dell laptops to the OP

Live image.

Giving this a shot too.

Just got an X61T. How do I get screen rotation working on Linux? The rotate button on the screen works, but the pen doesn't update accordingly so my input is all inverted when the screen is flipped.

Woo.

Doesn't really matter, as long as you have a GRUB config in your boot partition it'll boot.

Looking for suggestions for a every day use Thinkpad. Am looking to use it as a launch pad for Linux learning and general web surfing as well as study for work (videos). Not going to really use it for much else aside from a portable laptop. Would like a 14 inch screen. Cost isn't a factor, but would prefer something cheap. Any suggestions?

Anyone know how to get rid of some of these bootloaders? I cleared the EFI already and reimaged my hd a couple of times, but these never leave.

Got my t400 in the mail. Need a hard drive and charger and I'm set. Does Linux have drivers for the phone modem? Probably going to install Windows 7 at first because it has a key taped on the bottom and I want to see how all the ThinkPad features work.

T440p chiclet keyboard here.

>tfw the weeb keyboard fucked up my wpm to ~60 or so avg because of the tiny spacebar

Japs don't like spaces, it's the reason they're so crowded and started WW2.

The E6440 is actually rubber dome, but it feels really good to type on. It's very soft unlike scissor/chiclet keys. I hope to get 110 once I get used to it more.

wait this works on a Tx30 without flashing the bios?

no u flash it, but an application automatically detects if there is a change to the bios file b4 doing it.

>no u flash it, but an application automatically detects if there is a change to the bios file b4 doing it.

What?

Does this require a hardware flash, or is it through a program?

I'm a sinner that enjoys typing on the chiclet keyboard over the t420 classic keyboard however the layout of the classic keyboard is miles better, this one sucks dick and doesn't even have media controls.

lel

This is a really specific question but I come to you at my darkest hour.

Does anyone know where I can find an EDID dump for a ThinkPad T450s 1080p screen? I'm specifically looking for dumps from either Lenovo FRU 00HT622 or 04X5916

I have the panel but the idiots who sent it to me flashed the EDID to come generic LG panel, meaning that the Lenovo blacklist doesn't allow me to adjust the screen brightness, and it's on 100% all the time.

I know how to flash it but I need the original Lenovo EDID.

Through a program... All through a program u can install from the official thinkpad site. Comes with instructions on how to make custom bios imgs as well.

Anyone here with enough free time willing to test if this bios logo works?

I'm on battery so the thing doesn't allow me to flash the bios without the AC adapter plugged in.

>Does Linux have drivers for the phone modem?
Do you mean tethering? Because any android phone can give you that and Linux autodetects it.

No I mean dial up modem. I don't want to lose that feature.

what is the optimal T430 and x230 cpu?

>T430
whatever ivy bridge you want, upgradeable cpu

>x230
whatever you get, soldered cpu

Yes, it has all the drivers.

im assuming don't go for T430s then? also if i get a 3320M can i upgrade to a 3520M?

T430s (as in slim, s-versions) have a soldered cpu as well.

>also if i get a 3320M can i upgrade to a 3520M?
If it's the normal T430, yeah. I don't see the point in going from a dual core i5 to a dual core i7 (which is pretty much just a slightly higher clocked i5), either go quad core i7 or stay with the dual core i5.

ark.intel.com/products/64899/Intel-Core-i7-3610QM-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_30-GHz

No point sticking to a dual core if you do upgrade.

That comes out really well user, nice.

thanks for the info, im assuming T430 can only go so high without heating issues.

Don't get an extreme edition, but a 3610 should work fine. Turn turbo off/throttle it a tiny bit if it doesn't.

It'll do alright with a 45W TDP processor, same as the T420. Not splendid but just "alright", you can also get one of those 35W TDP quad cores (same TDP as the dual cores) or throttle the TDP a bit.

It'll crash your thinkpad with no survivors if you use 55W TDP XM processors though.

Are two universes colliding?

awesome thanks for the info, now i don't have to spend as many shekels.

XM is a big cpu

should I get a T530 to be safe? I don't care for weight as my old laptop is heavy as fuck.

My t420 is coming in the mail Friday!

If you can find one for a similar price, yeah. Don't know where you are but they tend to be more expensive because there's less ex-enterprise ones floating around.

Sure if you don't mind the size, you also get a FHD screen option with the T5xx and W5xx

FHD sounds nice, I'll look around and see if i can find one for a good price, thanks for the help!

Ayy nice, thanks user.

Finally did something right in my life, mom would be proud.

120 GB mSATA arrives tomorrow to make company for stock 320 GB HDD

Best configs for Linux+Windows?
Windows and Linux on mSATA and HDD for shared storage?
Windows on mSATA, Linux and shared storage on HDD?

How does this look?

m.ebay.ie/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T440p-Notebook-Intel-Core-i5-2x-2-6GHz-8GB-RAM-500GB-HDD-Win10-/352146866562?

I'm in 1st year in college and I need a laptop and its kind of hard to find second hand think pads in ireland, most of the t520s ive found only have 900p screen there's some t420s for 200 euro is that good? Should I bother looking for higher price 600+ models off Amazon etc. That aren't think pads?

>tfw no T430/440 with a US layout nearby

Linux is good on HDD, it's still much faster than Windows. I'd go with 64 GB (for nice number, depends on how bloated your Linux will get when you use it) for Linux partition on HDD, everything else for data such as animu, and mSATA for Windows.

What layouts are by you user?

Got a X220 recently and I'm loving it so far. The only complaint is the fan revs up on the most basic of tasks. Is this a common problem, anyway I can improve temperature hardware and software wise?

proll ansi

where are you from?

if you're near i'll give you a 440p ANSI US keyboard for free, hate that layout

No problem. I've added it to my album, but I still need to figure out a good place to host it. Trying to setup a booru now, never used it before.

>Windows and Linux on mSATA and HDD for shared storage?
I'd go with this one, make the pagefile small, disable hibernation and Windows will use way less space.

Dumb simple question, would this card work in an X220? I do have the BIOS unlocked.

biosimage.booru.org/index.php

pls help

What's the best ram for the t430? Also will flashing the keyboard patch unlock the ram multiplier lock?

Do they make the brick shithouse ones with good specs now?

x220 here, can i install the whitelist bios and have a custom bios image?

Add this.

yes

dumb frogposter

How do i do this? Have attempted to google solutions and shit but can't find a method

Done. Anything I have to do to make uploads/tagging public?

read the bios_logo.txt in the bios folder

dumb frogposter

>make uploads/tagging public?
isn't this going to fuck up everything with "le ebin trols xd"?

Rephrasing - a way to do it pending approval? If not I'll just try and stay on top of it myself but at the very least having public uploads would help a shit ton when it comes to collecting these.

How would one do this :o

Install BIOS Update Utility for your specific thinkpad, read "bios_logo.txt" in that folder for specific instructions.

General rule of thumb - 640x480, 30kb max.

Hi /tpg/, I'm the user who ordered a W520 and I wanted to know how many 2.5" laptop data drives it can fit, its bretty thick so I thought I'd be able to fit two, and I wanted to ask about how easy it is to replace the palmrest and if its worth it to replace, thanks.

check'd satan

>how many 2.5" laptop data drives it can fit
3, two 2.5" + an msata ssd drive.

>how easy it is to replace the palmrest
google "w520 hmm" for the hardware maintenance manual

>if its worth it to replace
not really, unless you have the version without the fingerprint scanner and you'd like to have one but seems like you already got the one with the fingerprint scanner

thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:W520
>One of the following storage options ...
>Ultrabay Enhanced with one of the following ...
i.e. 2 if you replace the Serial UltraBay Enhanced DVD Burner II with an adapter.
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Ultrabay#Compatibility
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Ultrabay_Slim_Serial/Parallel_Port_Adapter
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Ultrabay_Slim_HDD_Adapter

I have this problem too... I liked installing a new linux distro every week and now it is crowded. Anyone know a fix?

thinkwiki.org/wiki/Ultrabay_Slim_SATA_HDD_Adapter
Meant to post this instead of thinkwiki.org/wiki/Ultrabay_Slim_Serial/Parallel_Port_Adapter

Figured it out, there is a public upload option.

biosimage.booru.org/

I'll probably regret this, but can someone try and get this into the next OP?

Mine did this on Win7 and Win10,

On my Arch install it's quiet as. It'll spin up if I'm streaming something, or browsing very heavy web apps or using an IDE.

I've since removed those Windows versions and replaced it with Win10 LTSB - It's a version of Win10 with a gimped botnet and no forced updates.
No faggy metro apps in it either. Doesn't even have their new browser. It runs very smoothly now. No fan raging on idle. About as quiet as Arch now although it's still more resource intensive.

>replaced it with Win10 LTSB
I wanted to do this but i can't make the modded T440p work on W10 so no trackpoint buttons.

What do you mean? I'm planning to buy one of those. Fuck lol. I can't see what the issue would be.

I assume he's replaced the original trackpad with the one from the XX50 series.

Aye. That'll be a given when I buy it. Wouldn't look twice otherwise. I'll be interested to hear more on this. it'll be disappointing but not a deal breaker, Win10 is my secondary OS anyway. Games and some proprietary shite as and when.

I am in the market for a new laptop. I understand this thread is obviously biased towards Thinkpads but any brand would work for me.

I need a laptop that can do some heavy computational lifting before I send the working scripts over to our workstations.

Currently looking at the new T or P series. I have no need for a dedicated GPU but high resolution/15" screen would be nice.

As for budget $2,000 is my max.

Lastly, is it smart to just buy the base model then upgrade with aftermarket SSD, more RAM, etc?

>tfw have a t440p but like the trackpad
>tfw tried a t450 for a while but can't get used to the trackpad

Am I broken?

The touchpad mod needs specific drivers that only work on Linux, 7 and 8.1, not 10 and w10's windows update autoinstalls the original clickpad driver.

I had the same problem as you with T440s/T450s.

This is going to sound like absolute sacrilege but I took a T440s touchpad and swapped it into a T450s. There's a bit of driver fudgery involved but it worked in the end.

Have you ever acclimatised to the trackpoint? I can't go back man. I had an interview the other week and they gave me a laptop to solve a coding problem on and I kept trying to finger the G&H keys ffs. Felt unnatural to use the trackpad. It was an ok trackpad too.

You can exclude those driver updates by adding exclusions with some powershell commands. It used to try to update my trackpoint drivers to the currentyear drivers. I hated it because even at full sensitivity I feel like I'm gonna develop finger arthritis I have to shove it that hard.
The Win7 drivers are fine though so I keep them and make sure it doesn't touch them

Anyone?

This is my first ThinkPad, I've used a 2010 MacBook Pro for the last seven years. Never touched anything with a trackpoint, can't seem to get the hang of it. Any driver/calibration advice?

Maybe this is the wrong thread but hey.

7820HQ vs 7700HQ for data analysis. Just looking on UserBenchmark the 7820HQ barely seems faster and doesn't seem to be worth the extra 200$ in a Thinkpad.

Can someone tell me if/why I'm wrong?

Ah fair enough. Having using friends Mac's before that the touchpad always felt godly as far as they go. Had a very nice texture and resistance on the finger.

As for the config. Best bet is going for those legacy drivers like I said. I think it's 2015 Win7 off the top of my head. There you should set it to be quite sensitive. Leave the windows sensitivity setting in the middle, but ramp it up in the lenovo driver tab. It'll feel a bit jerky at first but it gets really exhausting frankly when it's hard to push.

In general though, windows is never perfect.

On linux though, it took a bit of fucking about but I got something that feels right on the sweet spot for me. The response is also a lot more linear.

You can modify it by changing the value in the fules in pic related. Those are the settings I have them at.

Oh also the type of mouse clit helps

>soft rim masterrace

I guess I'll buy a couple different ones off ebay and give them a shot. Thanks for the help user.