/wdg/ - Web Development General

>Previous Thread
>Getting started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
MDN web docs offer a good intro (independent of your browser choice)
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn

>Free online courses
codecademy.com/
freecodecamp.com/
bento.io/

>Roadmap
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap

>Resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - General documentation for HTML, CSS & JavaScript
stackoverflow.com/ - Developers asking questions and helping each other
caniuse.com/ - Check browser support for front-end web technologies

>Youtube channels
youtube.com/user/TechGuyWeb - Traversy Media
youtube.com/channel/UC8butISFwT-Wl7EV0hUK0BQ - freeCodeCamp
youtube.com/channel/UCO1cgjhGzsSYb1rsB4bFe4Q - funfunfunction
youtube.com/derekbanas

>in-depth comparison of VPS hosts
webstack.de/blog/e/cloud-hosting-provider-comparison-2017/

Other urls found in this thread:

stackoverflow.com/questions/46197621/transform-transition-not-working-on-responsive-nav-menu/46198040#46198040
astandke.com/astandke_resume.pdf
donm.cc/resume/Resume_of_Don_McCaughey.pdf
jsfiddle.net/fqn3dsam/4/
support.google.com/webmasters/answer/6066468
jsfiddle.net/#&togetherjs=FSaq3qAIig
discord.gg/wdg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Post what you've fucking shipped in the last 3 months you lazy fucks.
You have been shipping, right? Don't tell me you're still trying to understand a fucking framework bro...

How many projects with a NDA have you seen published online in those months, user?

About 7 not including that one that was borderline about rape desu

Post links.

Should I have an API end point for embebed documents in my database? For example

{
name: string
lastname: string
hobbies: [
{
name: string,
type: string
}
]
}

Should I have an endpoint like this /users/:userId/hobbies/:hobbyId

What if I want to move from one hobby to the next? What would be the logic behind that? Should the hobby have an order property or something? Or would the ID need to be in increasing order?

I maed a pastebin: 6fQ9HnUw . Make file in root directory like "dirMaker.js", run node dirMaker.js. Does NOT read .git, node_modules, or bower_components folders by default.

Clarification: This should also work on POSIX systems.

2nd Clarification: pls no bully

not him, but what does that do?

is it suppose to create something like this?
├───.android
│ ├───avd
│ ├───cache
│ └───studio
│ └───installer
├───.AndroidStudio2.2
│ ├───config

Possibly incredibly stupid question, /wdg/: is there a way to force a browser to open an HTML file as pure text (i.e., to show the source instead of parsing it)? When my directory maker links to an HTML file, it opens the file instead of displaying the code, which is pretty much entirely useless for fullstack apps, wherein much of the necessary JS/CSS stuff is gonna be "remotely" delivered.

Yep, that's exactly what it does. Just spits out a directory listing, with links to each file. Does it recursively, so it'll list all subdirectories too. Oh, and the file it spits out is 'dirOut.html'. If that was unclear.

>What's your obsession with static?
Easy hosting on S3, no maintenance, no security, etc

The only non-static feat I need is a form that mails me or sends a JSON somewhere

And who the fuck cares, I asked how to access an API from a static site (I know I can POST to an URI that's not my point) safely

No need to get antsy, papi. Auth is still your best bet in terms of security.

Can I use the same domain on G Suite for my emails and Firebase for my hosting?

I would like to have a sort of database in JavaScript, but rather in TypeScript.

A bare bones approach would be to set up a variable which holds an object, and each unique property name represents one record in this DB. Or this variable is rather an array of object, and their place in the array functions as an ID.

Something like:

var db = {
item1: {...},
item2: {...},
}

Other than setting up a global variable, what is the best practice, if there's any, in an object oriented approach to achieve this?

Yes, should be no issue there. You just set the domains MX record to googles server and that's it.

FUCKING """PREMIUM DOMAIN NAMES""" SHOULD BE ILLEGAL

Can someone help me figure out the problem of translateX activating in my nav menu when I resize my browser window? Here is all of my code.

stackoverflow.com/questions/46197621/transform-transition-not-working-on-responsive-nav-menu/46198040#46198040

Can I set fractions of pixels in SVG?
How do I draw a point in SVG?

Which one of these performs better/less slow? I looked up and it seems that big companies use React Native while only small shit apps use NativeScript. However I am suspecious of React as it isn't free as in freedom unlike Angular which is MIT licensed.

can't go go through it 100%, but seemingly something to do with the switch from display: fixed to absolute and vice-versa inside .site-nav

I tried that before and no dice. If I add translateX(100%) to the reg site-nav it disappears but when I resize the problem is gone. My brain is just not processing correctly today :(. Trying to think of what is causing it to be open when I resize it.

the problem is the top horizontal navbar moving in from the left side, when the screen is resized below 1000px width, right? Not clear on that yet.

You first :^)

>firefox claims to have removed plugins since a recent update
>check my firefox adblocker
>firefox says I don't use plugins anymore
>the buttons are indeed gone as well
>ads are still being blocked
Why is mozilla so incompetent?

Does anybody have a CV they could share with me, just to see how to kinda organize all my shit? I know what a CV looks like, but I don't know how to put all my webdev knowledge on there in a nice and organized manner. Self-taught newb here (1 year since I started), ready to start looking for work.

Incompetent and underpaid.
Not that it really matters, chromium-based still runs laps around alternatives due to the superb devtools.

I love webdev /wdg/. Do you love webdev?

yes that's the problem. I've just been fixing other problems with it until I can think of something else to try with it.

i guess. what tools do you work with/ what do you do?

Hol up a second /wdg/

With all these modern js frameworks, SPAs and all that, how the hell do search engines index them?

>Summary
>Education
>Projects
>Additional Information

2nd and 3rd can be swapped depending on which is better.

Hello /feg/, can you point me in the direction of /beg/?

my education is irrelevant, but I'll still put it there. My question is, how/where do I list all the shitty languages and frameworks I know? C#, Python, Django, HTML/CSS, MySQL, Docker, Git, Redis, Tornado, REST APIs, all that shit. Just drop it like that?

here's an example

astandke.com/astandke_resume.pdf

and another example

donm.cc/resume/Resume_of_Don_McCaughey.pdf

Google (and I think others as well can render JS)
Alternatively you can prerender the site you want indexed either for everyone or only specifically for search engine crawlers.

set
transform: translateX(100%);
on the "normal" .site-nav as well, so the transition know where to transition from. (I think at least that's what the problem is)
Here is a minimal fiddle
jsfiddle.net/fqn3dsam/4/
you can move the window divider in the middle back and forth

support.google.com/webmasters/answer/6066468

yes that solves the issue. I tried that earlier but then the site nav for anything bigger than 1000px is gone. Is there a way to use the translateX and still have the site nav show?

ah yeah I see.
I think that the current way you have it set up is really the wrong approach, since something so comparatively simple is causing problems with the css styles.
It's weird since right now they are existing kind of on the same "level" next to each other, pushing back and forth.
I would either have the mobile bar as a completely separate overlay, that can move in from the side, while the invisible desktop bar remains at its constant position or something where you have a flexbox you use for both desktop and mobile nav, where it's either in row or column direction.

well no matter what I do with it if I don't have it as translateX 100% then it's always going to have that problem.

Is there a more elegant way of generating two numbers and excluding the number 10? This function generates any number between 2 and 9 (inclusive). If the either value equals 10, the function is called again to generate new ones.
Needless to say, that if statement is fucking uggo.

function generateFactors()
{
var max1 = 99;
var max2 = 9;

var min1 = 2;
var min2 = 2;

value1 = Math.floor(Math.random() * (max1 - min1 + 1) + min1);
value2 = Math.floor(Math.random() * (max2 - min2 + 1) + min2);

if (value1 == 10 || value2 == 10) { // if 10, reset.
generateFactors();
}
}

Can someone explain to a PHP/Java/MVC tard what exactly JavaScript frameworks like Angular/react do?

that's perfectly fine

jsfiddle.net/#&togetherjs=FSaq3qAIig

What's the point of excluding 10 if you're always getting numbers less than 10?

>Math.floor(Math.random() * (99 - 2 + 1) + 2)
>42
>Math.floor(Math.random() * (99 - 2 + 1) + 2)
>46
that is true when max1 or max2 is 9, but not when its 99.

How do I manage content in a react or angular app? Is using wp api a sane choice?

This is probably a dumb question, but im very new to html/css.
Im trying to make a nav bar that is displayed sitewide, but how are you supposed to do that with relative paths?
for example, on one page the "home" nav button is something like ../index.html, but if that page goes to another page within itself, that ../index.html will no longer work because of the nested directory.

Is there a way around this or do I just need to state the full path for the nav bar links. I'd rather not because as the website grows, if I ever need to change the entire sites location, every link would then be broken because of no relative pathing and using direct paths instead.
Yes i know im an idiot.

You should check out handlebars, Its a templating engine that would solve this for you

I'll check it out for future use, but I'm actually doing this for a web design class, so I can't really use it for this project.

Use absolute links (start with '/').

Bros I want to make a content slider. Basically i haave this section in my home page and need to display an image, a div with a javascript timer, and a button with a link. Need about 3 or 4 of these to rotate and i will ve changing them once every 2 weeks or so. What is my best option here? Is it some sort of content slider or something else?

one wrapper div with a hidden overflow and then a bunch of horizontal divs inside, that you transition with translateX I would say.

Sliders are generally a bad option for anything though

const pajeet = {
needpoo: true,
}

const loo = [
{
release: () => new Promise((res) => res())
}
];

async function designated() {
while (pajeet.needpoo) {
for (poo in loo) {
if (poo.hasOwnProperty('release')) {
await poo.release()
pajeet.needpoo = false;
break;
}
}
}
}

designated();

buttstrap or bxslider?

How do I take advantage of the GPU with JavaScript?
I'm doing a lot of canvas rendering I'm running out of ways to improve performance.

for (poo in loo) {

that is not correct syntax to iterate over an array

You can do it but it's not recommended because it won't necessarily come in the correct order. Also it returns the iterator instead of the object so you'll need to use loo[poo]

if hobbies isn't gonna be an enourmous array just grab them all at once fuck it. once it becomes a problem use pagination.

never used nosql so don't listen to me

they're both dogshit learn native or don't do mobile at all, swift and java aren't that hard bro

According to an email I recently got from codeacademy, coding jobs that require React have some of the highest salaries in the industry.

I know that doesnt really answer your question but just thought I'd throw that out there.

I just made the same thing but did it with css

what?

M8, this is related to webdev, why would you delete the link to our discord server.

discord.gg/wdg

Smh.

fucknig kill yourself piece of trash

Nobody is forcing you to do anything. Stfu.

neck yourself, tumor

RETARD FIGHT!

anyone who enables it is just as bad

i asked in another thread but got no response. would someone can get my info if i rent those cheap ass VPS from lowendbox? something like whois but for an IP address?

those sites want a lot of info and i'm a bit paranoid. i don't want to buy a domain name, just have a server to test shit while learning web dev. i'm a noob.

Why, what's the problem?

this is an anonymous image board, not a place to peddle your shit namefag chat room.

But there are namefags here too..

rarely. the entire thread isn't full of them because it defeats the purpose of using Sup Forums over any other shitty social media website. If you want user accounts, literally anywhere else is more appropriate.

I don't know, I see it more like an extension or spin-off of these threads. We used to have an IRC channel too.

I see no problem with that. Different people have different needs/styles of communicating. Some like what you said (participating in user threads which get pruned), others may like having more options (persistent messages, voice channels etc), but still be related to the /wdg/ domain.

It doesn't bother me one bit. To each his own.

>It doesn't bother me one bit.
Because you're the one spamming it.

seems like they would be better off in reddit than here. why even bother coming here at all if you just want to fuck off to your own namefag circlejerk. do you even post in these threads beyond spamming your fucking discord link?

Yep. I do post in both.

At which point do you need more than a server to host a site? Such as hosting your database on separate servers? How do you measure that?

pls respond

hey guys don't forget to post in our reddit board! It's just an extension of these threads because everyone likes to communicated differently! like and subscribe to our tumblr and join the facebook group while your at it!!!!1!

You don't get any likes on discord, you fuckwit.

some services offer to host the dns through them, so it shows as the company info on the whois. with no dns at all, the only way to get your own info is if the host gives it out, so read up some reviews to see who has a good reputation.
If you are just testing things, you should really consider just hosting it on your computer. do you know what stack you are thinking of using? IIS comes free with a windows pro+ install, but with a limit of like 10 concurrent connections. there are plenty of other webservers you can install as well on windows, or in a linux vm if you prefer

im not even that guy, but seriously you fucking fags shilling discord are the worst
literally just go back to plebbit

i've been working on a fb exploit (at the beginning it was to get my ex-gf's password, but now i use it to stole random people accounts... my life sucks)

Control panel

By exploit, do you mean phishing?

data base view

yup

thanks for the answer, user. i've been dicking around with php and nginx on my pc, but wanted to learn server stuff

any vps you would recommend?

Login so no one can access to the control panel (i'm doing it for fun, desu).

So if it was IRC it was OK?

Fucking paranoid freetards.

anyone have experience with using an xmpp server like openfire? As far as I understand it, its built for chat rooms, and instead of using some external database for chat storage it uses something built into the server. this also means the rest api plugin needs to be used in order to access any user/chatroom properties, right? If I wanted to store something else unrelated to the user accounts or chatrooms I would have to use a seperate server for http like normal? am I completely off here?

>tfw all the cool URL names already taken

Have you seen all the cool TLDs? Get a .design or .media or .studio with your name or something if you want something professional looking.

Or look for cool domain name hacks a la del.icio.us and others. I have a whole file of names I've thought of. "vorp.al" is available if you want it and can find a registrar for the .al TLD.

Serious question. Why would I learn web development when app is the future?

Web and app development are quickly approaching a nexus point.

>some dickhead already owns every myfirstname.tld there is

>CSS
>Accessing the file system
oh okay.

If React Native is dogshit then Skype, Instagram, and discord wouldn't have user it. Sure it might be a bit slower than Java or Objective-C, but as long as I don't make anything complicated it would feel almost the same. I use Skype on my Galaxy E5 all the time and it is swift and quick. Facebook is the only laggy example of React Native but that is more because of their shitty backend in PHP/HHVM and their botnet.