Only have HDD in my desktop

>only have HDD in my desktop
What the fuck is wrong with SSD prices? Why the fuck are they still so fucking expensive? They seem to keep their value better than gold.

Like 2 years ago I bought a 128gb SSD for €50 and figured that 'in 2 years I'll get a 256 or 512gb one for the same price'. 2 years later and it's the same fucking price.

How the FUCK is this possible? The material costs absolutely fuck all, unlike HDD's, while there's multiple companies out there capable of making them, so there's not even a monopoly like CPUs have.
What is the fucking reasons SSD's never really dropped in prices? When can I finally buy mine?

bump

They aren't that expensive, price/GB has gone down significantly over the last few years.

Test

SSDs are being sold for a fuckton of money because they're able to. Retards are buying them like crazy so there's no point in making them cheaper.

No they haven't, stop lying. Besides there isn't a single reason with all the 1TB ones out there they are still selling 128GB ones for so much money. I really doubt it costs a lot to upscale the memory on SSD's
Why the fuck hasn't Chink Industries opened a few production lines?

Nobody wants chinese drives for their precious data

Why doesn't america make silicone? It seems like trivial work that people wouldn't mind doing for low wage. I'd love to work in a clean room.

>Why the fuck are they still so fucking expensive?
You can buy them for less than $50. They're not expensive.

They should be a lot cheaper. I cannot buy one right now, I'll feel jewed.

Are they still shit for cold storage?

So you made a thread because you're poor?

I'm not poor. I'm just not going to let myself be fucked over.

every DRAM/NAND manufacturer is colluding, and the phone market is absolutely devouring all supplies anyway. So despite there being a relatively healthy amount of competition (Hynix/Samsung/1 other I forget off the top of my head), they're all sticking the prices absurdly high. Plus they keep burning down nonexistent factories to justify driving the prices up even further.

tl;dr: the 3 big NAND/DRAM chip manufacturers are colluding to drive prices up, it's the same reason DDR and GDDR/X are approaching HBM2-tiers of expense despite their massive volume.

Welcome!

Aren't there any other than those 3?
Isn't this the moment the free market should kick in and any company capable of producing SSD's set up their own line? Should've happened years ago.

nope
I got the same Samsung model as 2-3 years ago, same size, same price

and how many patents will you violate doing that?

You liar, 256gb was like 170€ 2 years ago, now its € 100

It's because normies and (typically conservative) system admins have finally caught on so there's a huge supply shortage now.

I bought an 850 500GB for the same price I bought an 840 256GB.
They're constantly getting cheaper and cheaper and if you can't afford a simple 128-256GB drive for just boot stuff you must be considerably poor.

Use linux and a good filesystem OP
If you cannot afford an SSD use btrfs or zfs ram caching to improve performance.